Buckwheat

So what do you guys think of buckwheat? How often do you have it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7m5YQrucis8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My family's from West Virginia and there's this little place called Sandie's that serves buckwheat cakes and oh my fucking god that's some of the best breakfast food I've ever had. The batter has vinegar in it and it sits over night in the fridge. They make em thin. Great with runny eggs and maple syrup.

as with most grains (yes, I know it's not an actual grain), it's delicious, but I prefer barley and only eat buckwheat on occasions

>as with most grains
>grains

stopped reading.

It is not a grain, fuckwit

> (yes, I know it's not an actual grain)

You should've kept reading

its great.
imho best served with liver in a creamy sauce, or as blinis
buckwheat noodles are also a thing.

>buckwheat blini
Ye fucking what.

Only a retard would bother making a post like that.
Peanuts aren't nuts either, do you autistically rant about them as well?

It makes the best pancakes.

blini (the russian"pancakes") made from shredded buckwheat. supreme. also, i can remember eating leftover buckwheat backed into oladi (the other type of russian "pancakes") a couple of times, back when I didn't cook for myself. goes great with creme fraishe.

I'm asking because I'm Russian and I've literally never heard of anyone making blini from fucking grechka.

but you've had blinis with buckwheat baked in. unless you're way younger than me, or from moskau or Piter (sorry for stereotyping,but you get at what I'm getting at?)
anyways, кyпи гpeчнeвyю мyкy.
cдeлaй дoмaшниe мaкapoны.
зaлeй бyльoнoм.
???
profit

I'm from Bashkortostan.
Idk we've never used buckwheat flower in my household much.

desu, I've only started using buckwheat "flour" after I moved out of Russia.
>mfw every non-russian I've encountered doesn't like buckwheat, no matter how you cook it

Plebs.

At least in Finland, blini means a thick-ish and small buckwheat pancake and is associated with Russian cuisine, although when you go to an actual russian restaurant and ask for a blini, they'll bring you a crepe looking thing instead.

Could be that the word's used differently in Russia as opposed to outside of it.

What you posted would be called "oladyi" in Russia.

that pic would be oladi in the motherland

or maybe "american-style pancakes" in snobish restaurant terms

It's a grain, but not a cereal

My sister in law is from Tver and she makes bomb ass buckwheat blini. She serves it with sour cream (I dunno if that's traditional but I eat that shit up) with a side of gooseberry jam.

Shame my brother married her, she's sweet, funny and knows how to feed a man.

>"how many mailorder brides do russians have to sell until westerners stop seeing them as bad guys?"
but seriously, russian women can be a handful, can be awesome. theres blondes, brunettes, big tits, small tits, fat, muscular. can even be asian looking (I love the buryats...)
theres something for every taste, and to my experience, most of them are good cooks (since I disregard snooty bitches altogether)

lol!

My brother met her when he was stationed in Germany. Listening to them discuss how they met it's like something out of a quirky romance comedy. They've been married 12 years. At 45 she's still gorgeous as ever.

Yeah I'm jealous but eh, I'll live. She keeps teasing me to marry her younger sister. I met her once and that was enough; beautiful like one of those runway models but nuttier than a shithouse squirrel.

I think she's part Kalmyk? Her mother has strong Asian features but her father looks like one of those Soviet Army vets. Every single picture he's got a giant frown on his face like he finished murdering 15 people and tossed back an entire bottle of Russian Standard to celebrate.

thought I knew the story for a couple of seconds... can't be... she has a son named timur by any chance?

I don't follow but no, they have three daughters.

Never because I am not a neo-flyover hick.

figures. that'd be a huge coincidinc...
the part about men looking like they just slapped someone tied to a chair in a back room is -so- russian. even looking at childhood pictures of myself, that kid looks pissed as hell... parents and grandparents even more so. funny, especially if you know them to be freindly and helpful people.

Hey get your shitty pro Russian propaganda out of here ugly faggot.

Is it a cultural thing? For men to not smile? Every picture I've seen of my sister in law's family, the women are all smiles and the men all look pissed af.

And you're absolutely right. Despite appearances, he's very kind and gentle.

When I first met him I expected him to greet me in Russian, NOPE! His English was impeccable. He had taught himself English shortly after the Soviet Union was dissolved.

But what cracked me up was how everything he did was so over the top and animated. When he butchered a chicken, he dipped his finger in the blood and told us the chicken would make for a delicious meal because he could taste it's courage. And another time his wife made us borsch with dill and he sat there breathing in the soup and loudly exclaiming how delicious it would be and how beautiful his wife was.

And when we all got drunk, he challenged us to a wood chopping contest. So there we all are, out in the middle of the night on the outskirts of Tver, drunk out of our minds and trying to chop wood. It got so loud, police showed up but once they knew who it was they let it slide.

>the chicken would make for a delicious meal because he could taste it's courage
kek.
let me propaganda a bit more here, and that totally isn't everyones exp (there sure are some miserable bastards out there) but the old russian folks I've met are jokesters. or they've this "old, impoverished nobility" vibe about them.

or crazy in an endearing way: old painter dude in the bryansk area has literally hundreds of birds at home. literally. pidgeons, chickens, geese, a raven that talks, he had taken in a hawk that was about to die when I met him (somebody drove over it, somebody else picked it up and brought it to him, the bird was pretty much mush at that point) etc, etc...

back to Veeky Forums terms, your in-law ever made holodez for you guys?

I know what it is but I never had it. We ate a lot of delicious home made food. Okroshka, Shashlyk, dressed herring, lapsha, ukha, pelmeni, pickled vegetables far as the eye can see.

I do like jellied meats like apsic but I guess they figured that was too Russian for us Americans lol.

a tub of holodez with another tub of chren (radish sauce) is a man's meal. a fat mans presumably. I had made a list of russian stuff to try for some other thread once, let me look for it

stuff stuffed in dough:
pelmeni
wareniki
chebureki
beljashi
pozy (aka manty, turks know this is the shit)
fried or backed piroshki (w cabbage, egg/leek mix, potatoes)
pirogge with potatoes and fish
shan'gi

just dough:
oladji
blinis with butter, with caviar & salmon roe (be decadent for once)
pyshki
krebli

salads:
olivie (russian or winter salad in most places)
shuba
vinaigrette (its not a sauce to russians, but a specific salad)

soups and main:
pilaf (look up ferghana style, it's the best by my account)
borscht and shchi (had to google english spelling for those)
>based buckwheat in small pots as picrelated
rassol'nik (soup made with pickled cucumbers, she'll know)
pea soup russian style
beshbarmak (loads of russians in kasachstan)

sweets and cakes:
chak-chak
honey cake (мeдoвик/pыжик)
napoleon cake
shittons of different pralines
and russian chocolade (made by red october company, yup, they still call themselves that)

You just listed my childhood! Now I'm hungry

youtube.com/watch?v=7m5YQrucis8

imagine yourelf eating pelmeni to this music, at this rate.