Hi, Veeky Forums. I want to get back into reading. Recommend me 5 of your favorite books

Hi, Veeky Forums. I want to get back into reading. Recommend me 5 of your favorite books.

Other urls found in this thread:

createspace.com/6708762
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Finnegans Wake
Larva - Rios
Replacement - Tor Ulven
The Tunnel - Gass
A Brand Face New - Hillgert

Epic of Gilgamesh
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
The Crying of Lot 49
The Tempest
Faerie Queene

Stoner
The Odyssey
The Trial
Mysteries
Missing Person

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
Libra - Don DeLillo
The French Lieutenant’s Woman - John Fowles

all great, they're not too difficult either so fun choices for someone getting into literature

The Book of Negroes (Can't remember author)
Sharpe's Trafalgar (Bernard Cornwell)
The Fort (Bernard Cornwell)
A Place Called Armageddon: Constantinople 1453 (C C Humphreys)
Stalingrad: The Infernal Cauldron (Stephen Walsh)

... I like history...

Neuormancer
The Illuminatus Trilogy
Morton's List
Moby Dick

>The Book of Negroes
Man they don't name books like they used to

Which would you rather? A book with 'negro' in the title, or a book filled with the word 'nigger', a la Tom Sawyer?

>why not both?

True story: I have fleeting fantasies of titling a section of memoirs "Among the Niggers," about my time living a certain neighborhood. It would be written in an 19th century pseudo-anthropological style, and not overtly racist.

Then I get back to my real writing.

Not gonna lie, that's pretty fuckin' funny. I seem to stick mostly to stories that involve rape, for some reason. Maybe my third book won't be so rapey.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
Jane Eyre
Watership Down
Frankenstein
Condide

You guys should do a collaboration in the future. I'm sure it would be iconic.

kek

Maybe some interracial rape? You know what, that's literally probably going to be in my third book... I was already thinking of putting in some time travel. Wouldn't be difficult to work that in as well. Actually wait... hah, my second book KIND of has interracial rape. Basically an Asian twink who blackmails a white dude to fuck him, however it's hinted that they've had a sexual relationship before, so that pairing isn't exactly new. Can that be called rape though? A dominant being forced to fuck a twink essentially against his will? Being manipulated to do so?

Jesus Christ my writing is fucked...

Ulysses
Infinite Jest
Gravity's Rainbow
Finnegans Wake
Bottom's Dream

I'd read your books.

Thanks, well the second one with the twink incident has only just recently been published; not yet available on Amazon except for the Kindle edition. If you want paperback, it's available on the CreateSpace site.

createspace.com/6708762

If you just want the Kindle/eReader edition, then you can find it on Amazon no problem. It's only $0.99 US. My first book has nothing to do with the second. It had some rape, but also has some grammatical issues that I intend to fix with a second edition soon. Primarily, some instances where I use all-caps on words that ought to be done in italics. Yeah, kind of a derp, I thought it'd be ok but turns out it's really annoying for the reader it would seem, so live and learn; I'm still very new. I also need to improve the description of "When Her 'No' Means 'Yes'". Right now it's quite bland.

"How did they get into this situation, and who can possibly help them? Is there any way to help her, and can he do anything in this insane situation? Not your typical romance, if it can even be called as such."

See what I mean? I want to mention that towards the last half of this novella (It's only around 41,000 words or so. To my knowledge, you need at least 50,000 words for a book to be a novel), I found myself thinking of The Year of the Hare by Arto Pansillani or whatever that Finnish dude's name was. Arto Paasilinna, that's it, I googled him to check the spelling. I read Year of the Hare in College, and while I don't recall the book being all that long, it seemed to be just one big adventure, going to multiple different locations, with multiple different events happening, and I found that similarly, my book was jumping from place to place as well. I kinda like it.

Anyways, if you end up getting it, I hope you find it interesting. At $6.99 for the paperback edition, I think it's priced quite fairly and affordably. Might as well add however that J N Morgan isn't my real name; it's a pseudonym, which is why I'm not overly bothered at mentioning my book/author name. I'd never put my real name on here. I would also add an image of the cover, but that might be considered NSFW, I don't know.

Oh hey, it JUST got on Amazon for the paperback edition. Kind of annoying how it takes 2-3 days or so for them to get it on the site, but oh well, at least self-publishing is a lot easier than going through a publisher, even though Amazon is utterly drowning in books. Something like 100,000 per month, isn't it?

Another good one to read is Left to Die by Gary Collins. It's about the disaster of the SS Newfoundland in 1914, just before WWI. There's also the book The First 500 which is about the Newfoundland Regiment in WWI, and follows in detail where they went, where they fought, and what kind of casualties were suffered. There's also photos of the majority of those who served. It was actually written by an American, though I think he was living in Newfoundland for quite some time. The First 500 was written... when was it... 1920s-30s or so. I can remember one part of the book when they were at Gallipoli I think. Something happened that resulted in much of them becoming very dirty or otherwise blackened by smoke. Says that they were "as dark as niggers" or "as black as negroes" or something like that. As stated, 1920s-30s it was written.

Jane Eyre, Dubliners, Romeo & Juliet, Hunger, Germinal.

Enjoy

The Great Gatsby
Ficciones
Snow Crash
Starship Troopers
The Ice Palace

Filth

A Hero of Our Time
Notes from the Underground
Catcher in the Rye

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

Bible
Brothers Karamazov
East of Eden
Grapes of Wrath
Watership Down

Latter three are so comfy, and are a good transition back into reading.

Jump off a fucking bridge.

You first :')

Cute

kek

in cold blood
slaughterhouse-five
the stranger
the grapes of wrath
the perks of being a wallflower (idk it's angsty)

just read George RR martin's series, 5 books in that, and then give up reading. everything else is boring

The man in the high castle
Dubliners
Old man goriot
Wind up bird chronicle
The book of laughter and forgetting

You....just....got.....MEME'D!
hehe better luck next time kid

L'Écume des jours - Boris Vian
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë
雪国 - 川端康成
Bonheur d'occasion - Gabrielle Roy
Игpoк - Дocтoeвcкий

Also try to learn french, spanish, italian, latin, russian, japanese or you'll never get lit

What kind of books are you interested in OP?

Winesburg, Ohio
Huckleberry Finn
Lolita
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Light in August