Do I actually need to refridgerate hard cheeses like Cheddar? I've heard they don't need to be in the fridge...

Do I actually need to refridgerate hard cheeses like Cheddar? I've heard they don't need to be in the fridge. How long would a block of it last if I left it wrapped up in the pantry? Would this have any effect on the flavor?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_crystals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_cheese#Moisture:_soft_to_hard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese
seriouseats.com/2014/06/hard-cheese-cheddar-parmesan-parmagiano-reggiano-emmenthaler-swiss.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's going to become pretty soft and very oily which isn't exactly the most pleasant way to enjoy cheese.

>cheese
>crunch

He's referring to tyrosine amino acids found in cheese.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_crystals

just know that room temperature is 16 Celsius and yes keeping it in a fridge will mess with the natural flavor but blue cheese belongs in the fridge

>cheddar
>hard cheese
Try again, shitwit.

>he's never had real mature cheddar cheese
>he's never experienced lactose crystallisation
American by any chance?

Check 'em.

That shit they serve in those single serve plastic bags is not cheddar.

I regularly take small blocks of hard cheddar on camping trips. It will last about a week and a half before it starts to change in appearance and smell. I don't know if it's still good to eat after that, but I generally stop eating it after about 5-6 days, depending on temps outside. As another user said, it will get soft and oily and eventually you'll get tiny cheese crystals forming.

do you know what 'cheddaring' is user

good bait though i guess

i mean many kinds of cheddar could have at least been considered hard cheeses but i guess not anymore

>checkd

make up another new rule about cheese this is fun

Cheddar is not a hard cheese, user.

>room temperature is 16 Celsius
According to whom? That value is definitely too low.

i dont know if anyone is exactly writing reputable articles about the nomenclature of cheeses but why so adamant? your literally referring to a texture how can you say that there are no cheddar that are physically hard to the touch?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_cheese#Moisture:_soft_to_hard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese

seriouseats.com/2014/06/hard-cheese-cheddar-parmesan-parmagiano-reggiano-emmenthaler-swiss.html

>i dont know if anyone is exactly writing reputable articles about the nomenclature of cheeses

Then why are you posting? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

"Hard cheese" is a well defined term among cheesemakers. While some cheddars are indeed firm to the touch, Cheddar doesn't qualify as "hard cheese".

ok than could you find me an article that says that because i tried. at the very least cheddar is always referred to as semi-hard if not hard.

>Cheddar doesn't qualify as "hard cheese".
Yes it does. Proper aged cheddar is even crumbly. As someone else said, Kraft singles and sprayed orange goo are not cheddars no matter how much you ameritards want to believe it.

Post a cheddar you've recently eaten.

I just had Deer creek rattlesnake cheddar, it's infused with tequila and habanero. It's fucking delicious.

*sigh* American can't into cheese again. Quoting Wikipedia:
>Cheeses that are classified as semi-hard to hard include the familiar Cheddar, originating in the village of Cheddar in England
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_cheese#Moisture:_soft_to_hard

If its an aged cheddar then covering it properly (with wax paper) and leaving it in a cool but ventilated place should be okay.

But if it gets hot it will sweat, if it isn't covered it will dry out, and it can go moldy relatively quickly if you stick it in the wrong place.

If you're just buying some crappy cheddar that you're going to be using in sandwiches and you don't have a nice place to store your cheese then just put it in the damn fridge.

>Then why are you posting? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
Are all clueless hipsters this sure of themselves?

gotta cool off the sweaty boys

>ITT: people getting confused between Cheddar cheese and Chedder 'style' cheese.

>room temperature is 16 Celsius
its 20. yes, the temperature in your room may variate, but "the room temp" is always 20°C.

OP, what climate do you live in? depending on that, you don't exactly have to refrigerate eggs etc, but I'd still advise to. just turn down your fridge, it doesnt have to be very cold.

20°C/68°F and 1013.25 hPa is NTP, Normal Temperature and Pressure as defined by the EPA to be more precise.
or 25°C at 1000 hPa by IUPAC

Only if it is made in america.

The stupid yanks found out how to make plastic semi-edible and also spoil somehow. Anything marketed as cheese in the us is made from this substance and whatever artificial flavor they use.

Yes. It's one of the defining characteristics of the typical over-compensating hipster. "I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS TOPIC BUT LET ME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT!"

See also beer, coffee, tea...

Where do you find the motivation, time

Wisconson has aged stuff too, they're just better known for being the biggest producer of the shitty stuff.

>OBSESSED

For camping it's about how you store it as much as anything.

Some nice clothbound stuff with grassy hints.

>*sigh*
*faggot*

Cheddar is able to be at room temp for a while, yes. All cheese is best at room temp (which you probably know), but only a certain class of cheeses can be stored at room temperature, and those are your hard cheeses like Parm-Reg, aged Asiago (texture of parm, not cheddar), ect.

Cheese falls under these categories:
Fresh
Bloomy Rind
Washed Rind
Soft
Semi Soft
Blue
Semi Hard
Hard

Cheddar falls under the semi hard. The hard cheeses have much less moisture and much more salt, making them alright to be stored at room temperature even if the rind is cut

Now, with cheddars we have two main styles, American and English, aka block and bandaged (not perfect, but it works for what I'm explaining right now).

American cheddars are commonly aged in 40# rectangles that are aged in plastic. This reduces the amount of water that evaporates and tends towards a more sharp type cheddar. Taking the plastic off this style is removing the "rind", and exposes it to microbes. Because it also has a higher moisture content, it also is more prone to spoiling. I would not recommend storing this one at room temp, especially as it would start to "sweat" milk fat droplets and dry out on the edges.

English style, or bandaged cheddars tend to be in wheels. They are rubbed in butter, oil, or lard, then wrapped in cheese cloth. Sometimes after that it is dipped in wax as well (wax dipped cheddars will be more sharp and moist than regular bandaged cheddars). These style cheddars will tend to be more caramely and nutty. If you get a whole wheel (normally in 20# "daisy" wheels), you could store it at room temp. If you want to continue to age it. If you wish to retain how it tastes, you should store it in refrigeration. If it has been cut, you should store it in the fridge.

TLDR; cheddar is classified as a semi-hard and should be stored in the fridge. Wrap it in wax paper inside a slightly open plastic bag in the fruit crisper.

>TTLDR; braggin about cheese mongering

>wrapped up

No user it's got to breathe.

I don't understand why you have to refrigerate stuff like cheese and sausage that was invented hundreds of years before refrigeration, mainly as a way to preserve food for long periods of time.

>Spoil
That's where you're wrong, kiddo. Flies won't even touch it.

>Deer creek rattlesnake cheddar, it's infused with tequila and habanero
kill your elf