Anyone else read Malazan Book of The Fallen? I'm currently on Memories of Ice and loving it. The sheer scope of it all...

Anyone else read Malazan Book of The Fallen? I'm currently on Memories of Ice and loving it. The sheer scope of it all, and the characters are wonderful.

You wont get many replies here. Most users just pretending to read and at most read spark notes. Check out a board full of people NOT trying to impress anonymous strangers.

Ah that's a shame

>he says, while trying to impress anonymous strangers

>the le wacky let me try and change this random thread into another self-hate circle-wank thread maymay

Man I just wanted to see if I could find someone else enjoying the series not arguments lmfao

Try Veeky Forums. A lot of Malazan fans over there.

Thanks friendo

What's it about? I'm curious.

How does this compare to WoT?

Just finished eye of the world and not sure if i want to continue this or jump into this first

It's far too deep to just go over, but I've read WoT, LoTR, ASoIF, and this series is by far my favorite. It captures emotion well, the world is built from the ground up, and everything has pretty great depth.

It is a grown up version of Wheel of Time. More mature, serious, sad, violent, real, etc. I've enjoyed both but Malazan is definitely my favorite of the two (and probably in all fantasy). It is the ultimate work of epic fantasy.

You would be better off posting in /sffg/, all the genre fiction plebs hang out there.

le "no one reads true literature but me" b8, a classic

I read the first 3 books but was so confused I never bothered picking up the rest. Maybe I'm just stupid but it felt like the books were needlessly ambiguous? Like I had no fucking idea what was going on 90% of the time.

Don't get upset because he made a good point.

He didn't make a good point, he repeated the "nobody on [hobby board] actually [hobby]s" cliche. Typically anybody bringing this up, at least on Veeky Forums, is just upset because people aren't validating their poorly-thought-out opinions.

>Keep hearing people talking up the Malazan books
>Check out the first one from the library
>The first chapter is about a unit of grizzled medieval veterans
>It's a mixed gender squad

And into the trash it went.

read the first one. I liked it, but I found a couple things kind of weird..

First of all, was Tattersail a bbw?

Secondly, they pulled a total deus ex machina in the end with that bumbling old fucking man trapping that super omtose phellack magic thing in then end in a fucking dream or watever.

The book was intense, and I enjoyed it, but it sort of felt like I read a thousand pages of some sort of anime novelization.

>a thousand pages of some sort of anime novelization.
yup, except it's actually a tabletop campaign novelization

Huge malazan fan here, im about 90% into The Crippled God,
The bad thing about the series is that it makes almost every other fantasy series seem so plain.
What is your favourite character until now, OP?

Not being able to finish WoT 1 is a sign of taste, based on that I will tell you that the first Malazan is easily one of the worst, most pointlessly convoluted rpg sessions to have ever been put to paper.
If cumming on paper wrote novels, this would be the cum of a 45 year old dnd playing neckbeard who believes he is enlightened by his own intelligence.

1 Gardens of the Moon: Hmm, weird book. Not great but interesting.
2 Deadhouse Gates: This is fantastic fantasy with strong historical notes, amazing.
3 Memories of Ice: A brutal uncompromising book, enjoyable.
4 House of Chains: Our God is a Great and Mighty God of chains
5 Midnight Tides: Kind of a weird departure but ok.
6 The Bonehunter: I guess they had to follow up deadhouse
7 Reaper's Gale: hmm, this isnt very good
8 Toll the Hounds: this sucks
9 Dust of Dreams: (200 pages in) I have better things to read
10 The Crippled God: I guess ill read it one day but he really screwed the pooch

posts like this are what the minimize button is for.

>not reading superior stormlight archive

you're that volatile huh? some kind of assbergers i figure.

if highschool creative writing class trash is superior then Malazan must be downright diarrhea.

Why does every fantasy series fall apart halfway through?

Wheel of time is fucking terrible compared to Malazan