"We need more women in STEM"

>"We need more women in STEM"
>biology is often 50% women
>math is often 40-50% women
What's the problem with technology and engineering? Why do women not enroll in them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask
youtube.com/watch?v=p5LRdW8xw70
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they don't want to
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjernevask
youtube.com/watch?v=p5LRdW8xw70

Too hard.

because women that are passionate about science go into pure sciences or math. the women that go into engineering 9 out of 10 times don't give a fuck about the subject and just want a well paying job.

if you look at engineering society pictures there's typically not a lack of women, and certainly not the 1 in 20 ratio that you see in classes. if you actually visit those societies while they're working you'll see that there are little, if any, women in sight. they just try to leverage whatever means they have to get a job and show they were "involved."

I see you're an engineer.

Women are not as technical or objective as men

and these fields require more abstract thought as opposed to rote memorization.

Women don't want to build robots or automobiles they want drugs

Because autism is more common in men

>Requires more abstract thought
>then MATH

Sure, Anonymous.

no interest in math.

>then

oh ho ho what is irony

Chemistry is basically half female as well. I think the only non engineering stem field with less than 40% women are physics and CS.
I wonder if there is a reason, you can't really say that it's because girls don't like math when math is almost 1:1 men women.

>biology
>stem

Biology is just med lite. It's med without the chemistry or anatomy so you can't actually do anything interesting besides say LOOK AT ALL THESE COOL STAMPS.

Why don't girls like lego as much as boys?

Biology really is close to 50%.

With math those statistics come from tracking all types of math degrees. However, when you break it down between degrees aimed at those entering education, and more technical degrees for academia/industry, you find more women in the former half, and more men in the latter half.

because girls suck at math and science

Because of societal pressures that tell them to play with dolls instead of lego, duh.

hjernevask on sci, nice.

Bc those majors r for men with no social prospects/can't get women

You search for group rules. Rules with "exceptions." I've programmed enough exceptions in the gov for "special groups" to be sickened by it.
If there be rules, there be rules for all of us. Most people see only their rules (cops). Most see only "well everyone else is doing it," when this is lie. Again, exceptional, special, better people.

>because people that are passionate about science go into pure sciences or math. the people that go into engineering 9 out of 10 times don't give a fuck about the subject and just want a well paying job.
ftfy

Someone told me that when compiling the statistics for math that they include math-ed majors. Not sure if this is true, but if so then it is very misleading as the really only take half the math courses a normal pure math major would take.

Have you MET any of the folks studying tech?
If I had tits, I'd stay the fuck away too.

I remember seeing this graph before, and someone saying that there were so few women (as a fraction) because of some sort of government action to send a lot of soldiers to university after war, this was especially big after ww2. Is it true?

except that's wrong. plenty of guys in engineering are passionate about the subject.

this is why you see women most in the easiest engineering majors: industrial and civil.

The only engineers I've met are dude bros who want a good job and people who WANT to do research but are unaware that they should be going into pure science

Everyone I've gotten to know in my program is there because they want an upper middle class life or their parents would be disappointed in them otherwise. It's very rare to find someone who's motivated by an internal passion for engineering.

Women don't have that kind of pressure from their families and society to have a good high paying career. It's something women care a lot about when picking a husband; not as much the other way around.

But studies shows it's false, user.

that's not true, bio is really diverse. it's not just History of Bugs but also includes Neuroscience, Bioinformatics, Bioengineering, Biochemistry. It really depends on your specialization. But, those are all still more Bio than they are any other category

No they're not. Obviously I'm speaking anecdotally, but I'm in ME and know plenty of people in other engineering fields, male or female, who would not be here if related jobs did not pay half as much as they do. Sure there are some who go into their first year with some kind of aspirations or hopes that their engineering major will turn out just like whatever they dreamt up in their heads, then they get to third year and by then they just want to get it over with so they can sit in a cubicle and collect those paychecks.

And the ones who are legitimately passionate about the subject are few and like you said usually switch majors down the road.

it sounds like you're talking about engineering students in general, but then just saying only women do this.

all engineering students are greedy career focused pigs. it isn't a bag thing, but it also isn't exclusive to women