Dostoievskii

>Dostoievskii.
>Dostoevski.
>Tolstoi.
>Tolstoj.

Why do people purposely butcher the names of great Russian authors?

For a good solid year I went around saying Mitt Romskj. No one bothered to correct me

Seems silly.
Anyone know why?
Guess not...
Everyone cares.

All attempts at romanization of Russian/Cyrillic have been unsatisfying.

kek

Дocтoéвcкий, [dəstɐˈjɛfskʲJj] or don't bother desu

>Tolstoj
It's literally Tolstoj, you retard.

t. Russian citizen

>Veeky Forums doesn't spell Dostoyevsky with the y

this always triggered me, but i never bothered to mention it

because the j and the w make a different sound in english. it's better than having idiots walking around saying dostodgooski and tolstodg

I am studying Cyrillic to learn Persian-Tajik and that is literally Daastaayevski

The double As being the long a vowel like in car.

pretty sure you're trolling and that's a finnish word without the umlauts

>Toлcтóй
TOLSTOJ

>Toлcтoи
TOLSTOI

He was actually called Tolstoj, you bydlo.

Wrong.

What are you talking about? Й just makes it the diphthong Oy like when you guys say oy vey or the diphthong in oil.

No, I am just trying to phonetically spell it out. Daa-staa-yev-ski

That's what I said. You're writing the word as it is pronounced correctly. Also, I don't get the double "a". Are you trying to be funny?

Learning IPA would be worthwhile as it will stop you being wrong at times like this. The first o in Дocтoéвcкий is [ə], the a in car is [ɑ].

hearing people bitch about their shitty countries language or names being mispronounced by English speakers is so fun given that the anglozone has adapted to the spat of foreigners so much that you could get every vowel and consonant wrong and we'll still understand you

native english speakers correct foreign words more than english ones not just because of political correctness but also because they've forgotten how to pronounce their own proper nouns and vowels

Blame the subhuman Portuguese

aboo hoo hoo my culture is becoming obsolete.

He's an anglo, you dipshit. He's just trying to be a pretentious twat who thinks he's above the rest of Veeky Forums.

No, when I latinize Persian vowels I use double a for long and one a for short. Sorry, just the way I use to remember.

Someone got butthurt. Pic related, bitch.

>makes one of these dumbass threads over differences in romanization
a more worthy thread died for this

Yeah, but this is Russian we're talking about.

Also, after me demolishing you in these posts:

I hope never seeing you bitching around again.

Dude, I have been studying this alphabet for two weeks now, I can't believe you have the gall to correct me on a language I'm not even learning.

did my shitpost just get protoshitposted?

>I was merely pretending to be retarded
Sure you were.

good luck, I'm behind seven layers of irony

It's Dostojevskij and Tolstoj you plebs, 'y' should be reserved for 'ы'.

What about ю?

ю = ju

>fjodor dostojevski
>leo tolstoi

there

No, you spergmachine. It's Fjodor Dostojevskij and Ljev Tolstoj.

>not being a cool kid and calling him Dosto

I've been reading crime and punishment and it's making me feel stupid. Is it supposed to be a critique of the ubermensch theory?
In that men retain human limitations as raskolnikov struggles with his fever and emotional hubris, and cannot attain full autonomy of his actions and ideas.

Oh yeah mean it's pronounced exactly like the word "you"? With y as a consonant and a long ooo sound? Fuck of, J is the same as Y. Why else would Sarajevo be pronounced as Sarayevo?

>not Dostoievski

its Dostejewski you idiots like
Do sto yee vski

Because it's not Latin script and there are different ways to transliterate it

>Ἀριστοτέλης
>Aristotle
>Aristoteles
>Aristotelis