More music theory books Veeky Forums

>Go go go!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7kS3BeBUWlw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

This is very good.

Take ur pleb books out of here faggots.

need beginner books bro those look hard.

the lightning strike portion of this book was super interesting

Go buy the RCM harmony books and work ur way through them, (skip rudiments if u have basic music background or else get that too).

Go to any music store and ask for beginner theory book and the workers should help u get one. A teacher would also help greatly, look around for local theory teachers, rate is 30-60/hr avg where i am.

What exactly of theory r u trying to learn op? What do u hope/want to do?

Maybe not for beginner but later on.

kostka and payne tonal harmony

bruh, you fuck with 'theories of musical texture' by white?

No but ill give it a go if its worth it (is it user?)

Wanna hear some of my compositions desu?

used it alongside counterpoint study in college - good to use alongside an anthology esp for pre-1600 material. sections on development on organum were quite nice

sure

youtu.be/7kS3BeBUWlw
Behold!!!

I want to here you compositions user

It was beautiful user great tension and release

sounds like ryuichi sakamoto mixed with john adams

ya i agree with ryuichi, very anime.

3q guise for the kind remarks guise! Srry to sidetrack the thread op. Ill post some more books tmr if thread is still up.

Thank you anons

Sinister resonance : the mediumship of the listener - David Toop

john zorn's arcana series

Is music therapy real?

I want to read this but the cover is so shit.

that's not about music theory at all.

Disregard this. Don't fall for the music theory meme. If you're not training to be a professional musician it's useless. I look piano lessons for 2 months and I quit because I gained 0 insight into music. Was it supposed to be amazing that I can point to a piece of music and say, "Aha! they're playing quarter notes"? Where does that get me?

>gave up after two months
>has the audacity to try and give anyone advice about music

I didn't give up. I quit. I thought I would get one thing from learning about music, and I didn't get it. I thought I would gain an insight into music that would help me appreciate the more "patrician" genres of classical, jazz, and avant-garde music, but then I didn't because, like I said, what's the point of hearing something and saying, "Wow, they're playing quarter notes!"? There's just nothing to do with that knowledge, unless you want to be a composer or musician, which I don't.

music = text - speech

>I didn't give up. I quit.

It's being able to actively follow what's going on instead of just being like "oh that sounds nice"
Unless a piece is literally made up of only quarter notes you would never say that.

What advice would you give to someone with no instrument experience and very basic music theory knowledge (can't write in notation what I hear in my mind yet) that wishes create music?

Where to start?

>2 months
>I would get one thing from learning about music

you didn't learn

Learn an instrument would be the best way to start. A lot of composition is the ability to improvise and an instrument is essential for that. The piano would arguably be the most "composer"esque instrument due to its ability for melody, harmony, huge repertoire, and multi-staff reading which will be useful later on when u move on to bigger scores with more instruments. You can teach urself but a teacher is strongly recommended for their role as a mentor and allow you to notice what you previously didnt notice in urself.

After u have become sufficient on ur instrument try to compose on it (all this should be fun or meaningful, if not, welp). You absolutely need to know some form of notation to write music, even electronic music.

"All composers were performers but not all performers were composers"

All the best user.

Thanks, user. I'll start saving up for a piano and teacher.

Question, as someone who plays guitar and hasn't had a lot of luck with getting a good teacher (they all teach different methods, i got a classical instructor who made me play a pink floyd song on my very first visit) that left a bad taste in my mouth) will be piano be easier to acquire a straight forward teaching?

I played when i was 16 and found i had a relatively enjoyable time, followed a book with my teacher, learned as much as i put into it, and i'm about to buy a piano to get into it again.

Look on gumtree or craigslist (or some 2nd trade site equivalent) for old pianos, lots of people try to get rid of them cheap because they are hard to move. I got anelectone organ for $50 and my mate got an upright piano for free as long as we picked it up and moved it

Or get a shitty electric , they are good to start with and you can do funky laser sounds and shit

This

Good idea, I've been looking and, I think I'll try to get a fairly decent one with MIDI capabilities if possible. So I can use it in music making software in the future.

Thanks again, user.

Good luck, don't give up!

Aldwell-Schacter's Harmony and Voice Leading
Hindemith's books
Persichetti's Twentieth-Century Harmony

>quarter notes

You do realize that that is pretty much the same if somebody would quit learning to read since "it was all just letters and shit"?

All teachers are different. Piano and guitar are two instruments that are filled with people trying to make a buck by teaching, so it will most likely be a pretty hit-or-miss. You should try getting recommendations from local players. And there is no need to get stuck with one teacher, even a good one. Switch after a year or two, or even sooner if you feel like your relationship is stagnating. Having more mentors will give you more perspective.

Though some people, obviously, like going to the same person for ages, and if they are a good teacher, why not?

Music theory a sham. You'll learn more about counterpoint playing and listening to Bach &c than with sterile generalist scholar-feeding theory. And if you insist being an eye musician then go and look at scores yourself. Unless you strictly mean Music Theory that isn't really what one would normally mean by Music Theory, such as book in OP.

that teacher might have just been trying to gauge your skill level. most new players aren't gonna just be familiar with a whole bunch of classical guitar tunes, let alone able to play them. if you kept going you might have been told you have good intonation but wonky picking/timing/whatever and have somewhere to build from. u should go back and give them a high five for showing you pink floyd instead of forcing you into arpeggios immediately

to answer your question tho: piano is an awesome starting place for learning theory because notes are logically placed and you get the full expression of two hands. e.g.: any given maj7th chord will be the third, fifth, and seventh notes of a key. so in C major (CDEFGAB), a Cmaj7 chord would be C, E, G, and B played together. That's pretty easy to figure out on a piano, because you just count how many keys to move from the root (C). on a guitar there's 6 possible finger positions per fret for 4 fingers of 1 hand and only some of those available notes are correct so you must know exactly which ones to play and the respective pattern can change completely based on where your root note is and meanwhile your hand looks like you're braving that precarious first attempt at fisting someone VERSUS the piano's 1-for-1 progression from low to high notes with all possible fingerings lending you the real cool banana maestro hands look.

learning theory on the guitar is like learning with spaghetti noodles (kek noodlebro) while everyone else got legos. it's unfair.

pic related, also
structural functions of harmony by arnold schoenburg

Ya i appreciated the song actually, i was forced to use a lot of techniques i wasn't using at the time, but I just really wanted a straightforward deal with it, learn this chord, this position, practice this, etc.

Anyway i'm giving too many excuses, i'll be buying a piano in a week so that should be refreshing, I appreciate the advice too.

>learning theory on the guitar is like learning with spaghetti noodles (kek noodlebro) while everyone else got legos. it's unfair.

No. Western Classical music has been more keyboard oriented, yes, but that doesn't make the instrument any more "logical." If you are to think like a guitarist you'll find yourself making all sorts of harmonic progressions that would never occur to a keyboard player. And this as soon as Berlioz. And you also get a much more rhythmic approach or sense.