Food Storage

Soup Veeky Forums?

What does everyone store food in? I keep hearing that plastic is bad for your health, especially when reheating food. Is it time to go for ceramic or glass?

Other urls found in this thread:

duralexusa.com
webstaurantstore.com/3165/stainless-steel-steam-table-food-pans-and-accessories.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I bought a decent mid-tier set of Rubbermaid containers a few years ago. Eventually I want to replace them all with some nice glass ones. Too expensive and too low on my priority list at the moment.

>I keep hearing that plastic is bad for your health, especially when reheating food.

Not sure about health, but it's bad for the plastic.
I never reheat my food in them anymore after the first time when it melted the inside and left a rough ring.

Polypropylene is what you should use.
PPL or a marking of 3 in a triangle is on the bottom.
The plastic is always black.

And even these will melt and warp. Use glass bowls and plastic wrap friend.

I hate the cheap look of plastic, as well as it being "unnatural" compared to glass. If glass microwaves well then I'll make the switch, some foods just don't reheat well on the stove when there's minimal liquid involved.

For just plain storing food I guess plastic is all right.

>The plastic is always black.

Lolno. Polypropylene is a translucent white color in its natural state. If it's black it has carbon added to it.

I store in plastic, but I never re-heat in plastic. I always transfer to a glass or ceramic container if it goes in the microwave, or a normal metal pot if I'm doing it on the stove.

Yeah I haven't really researched it but I heard something on NPR saying that some chemicals are transferred from the plastic to the food although I'm not sure there's any evidence regarding what if any negative impact that can have on you.

I use plastic just for storing in the fridge, but I keep cheap paper plates and bowls for reheating food in the microwave. The food reheats faster and you don't have to worry about it melting or giving off chemicals or getting burning hot or even cracking/exploding if it has some defect.

I think keeping them in glass would be better, but I've never found a set that stacks together like the plastic ones do and I have very limited space in my cabinets.

Why use paper bowls or plates? Just use regular dishes?

Oh, never mind. You said so they don't crack/explode.

Wow is that really a thing?

It's always black when it's food use.
Why do you think they add carbon to only specific products made out of ppl?

You're a meathead and you're the reason this mcchicken forum is so horrible to visit. Just shut the fuck up and use Google before you make asinine, hostile posts about shit you didn't research thanks.

>Soup
leftover soup stays in the pot. leftover (clear) broth goes into a bottle in my fridge. most smaller stuff in a dish and covered with cellowrap. if I've stuff like soup fir work, in a ceramic soup bowl with a lid on it (a takeaway container f sorts, cant find a pic)

While glass may be great, it's stupid to have a cabinet full of glass storage containers when you have kids. And there is something to be said for the lighter weight (of not having glass).

I'm with Those rubbermaids are timeless.

Yeah I don't have kids so that didn't occur to me, although I guess it should have just because I'm a complete klutz.

I too have a big set of those rubbermaids but I was thinking and I've had those things for almost 10 years. I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and get some new glass or ceramic ones. Whatever is on sale at target.

I've been looking for some glass storage containers because I mostly prefer them over plastic. However, the best part about plastic is that they all nest together for compact storage, while glass doesn't do that at all. Has anyone found containers that provide the best of both worlds?

Are you sure storage space is that tight for you?

duralexusa.com
This is the brand I went with as none of the pyrex stuff is stackable. It's ok, I don't regret the purchase.

Alternatively, you could go with something like this which is cheaper but can't be microwaved.
webstaurantstore.com/3165/stainless-steel-steam-table-food-pans-and-accessories.html

I use boroseal containers, but they ain't cheap.

Do you guys store fresh food in containers too?
I was thinking of washing and maybe preparing my vegetables before putting them in the fridge in some sort of container. Instead of washing them only before I use them.

Has anyone had problems with glass chips or flakes especially around the edges of glass containers?

I had a Pyrex glass baking dish explode in the oven.

Nope, that only happens if you're a retard and bang them together.

Sadly, Pyrex is not what it once was. Years ago Pyrex was made from borosilicate glass, which can survive rapid temperature changes like taking things in/out of a hot oven. Then they switched to tempered soda-lime glass, which does not have that property. However, the tempered soda lime glass does have one advantage: if it breaks, it breaks into tiny little pieces which are less likely to cause a bad cut. If you dropped and broke the old borosilicate stuff it would break into large pieces that cut cut you very badly.

you can tell the two apart by looking at the color of the edge of the glass. Boroslilicate has no trace of color at all. Soda-lime has a greenish/bluish tint to it.

Never had a problem with glass but I always seem to chip ceramic.
I've chipped some ceramic dishes by merely putting the lid on a bit to vigorously.

I use plastic containers but i always put my food on a Plate before warming it. We have a kitchen at my workplace so it works out.

>advantage: it breaks into tiny little pieces

not exactly an advantage when handling food...

Personally I can't stand using plastic containers anymore because they hold the smell of the food that I have in them. no matter how many times I clean them. But I still haven't found glass containers at like Walmart or something like that nor have I really looked

I'd rather drop hot food on the floor than cut my hand open on jagged shards of stuff

Sure it is. It's less likely to injure you or someone else.

If you drop food in a glass container then the food's fucked regardless of whether the glass broke in small or large pieces.

ok, the point about glass in food I agree upon, but I'd rather pick a couole of big shards up than having dozens of them fly off in all directions. And those small bastards cut you all the same, they're just harder to find, except with your feet. ouch.
last time a wineglass fell in my kitchen, somehow half a year later there still were pieces of it around, and I vacuum and mop the kitchen every week (mop at least every other week, sometimes too lazy)

I store virtually all of my food in disposable freezer bags.

This saves a great deal of time, effort and space.

how your man boob's coming along

>carbon black is so healthy for you, guys!

Except, it's a group2b carcinogen. B-B-B-BUT IT SAYS FOOOOD USE THAT'S WHAT MY HASTILY GOOGLED BLOGSPOT TAUGHT ME SO I HAVE TO REPEAT IT LIKE A DOGMA BECAUSE I HAVE NO CRITICAL THOUGHT OF MY OWN!!!!!

People like you are the ruination of modern society and I wish you would end yourself before you contribute to it further.

So, are some people trying to say that glass storage containers might blow up if you put them in a microwave?

Yeah no.

I could have leftovers for one meal. The fact is that I am a massive bodybuilder and will eat everything.

>It's always black when it's food use.

No, it's not. I own several "tupperware" containers that are PP and are not colored at all. Fuck, just do a google image search for "polypropylene food containers". You'll see that most of them are NOT black.

>Why do you think they add carbon to only specific products made out of ppl?
I work in the plastics industry. PP is added for 3 reasons. 1) it makes the plastic slightly tougher. 2) to dye it black for cosmetic reasons (this is the main one). 3) for outdoor applications it adds UV light resistance because it limits how far into the plastic UV light will travel.

>PP is added

That should have read "PP has carbon black added"

I wouldn't do that personally because I've found that chopping veggies for example and then storing them makes them taste worse than just storing them and chopping them up just before use. I imagine you are trying to plan ahead/save time? That's what I tried to do and everything just didn't taste as good.

So, if you work in plastics was there a big "to-do" when NPR did that report about chemicals being transferred to food by plastic storage containers?

How to prevent tomato sauce stains

Buy a new one.
Use a thermos or something.
Scrub it with steel wool.
Or just keep the spaghetti in your pockets when you take it to work.

"I am actually a professional and work in the industry we are momentarily debating."

>mcchicken forum: the post

Nope. I'm a bit far removed from that. I supervise a lab that does research on plastics. Food packaging is one of the areas I have worked in, but it was with multi layer films used for bags (like, say, the bags inside a cereal box or a box of crackers), and pouches like pic related. I have not worked on rigid plastic containers for food packaging.

don't reheat your tomato sauce in the plastic.

I store food in shitty plastic tuffaware but I always reheat in ceramics

Ehh... okayyy... so the plastic that you work with that touches food. Any evidence of health concerns or does it just never come up?

A sensible kek was had just now by me because of that pic. Mind if I save that?

You have to choose the correct plastics, of course. Those pouches, for example, are made out of mulitple layers.

The innermost layer is usually PP or PE (polyethylene). Those are chosen because they are food-safe, and also because they heat seal well. A good heat seal is critical because if the seal is of poor quality then microrganisms can get in rot the food. The next-outermost layer is a thin film of aluminum. That's a barrier layer that stops moisture and oxygen from getting through the film. We think of plastic as being "waterproof" and "airtight, but the reality is that both moisture and gases (including oxygen) will slowly diffuse through a thin plastic film. The aluminum layer stops that. Then the outermost layer(s) are chosen for durability and puncture resistance. These are what contribute the real strength of the packaging since the aluminum and heat-seal layers are very thin. Nylon, PET, etc. are common for that. Sometimes there's an outermost layer which makes it easier for the company to print their packaging artwork on the film.

I know there is food safety testing done to make sure that bacteria don't grow inside and there are no harmful chemicals leached into the food, but we didn't do any of that in my lab. We study the physical and chemical nature of the plastic itself and aren't set up to do any kind of biological work; there are other companies (and sometimes university researchers) who handle that. Most of our work revolves around making the film as durable as possible so it survives shipping without rubbing against itself and looking bad, surviving being dropped/shaken/hit against objects without bursting or puncturing, testing the moisture and oxygen permeability of the films, etc.

Huh interesting. Well thanks for typing that out.
I'll just have to go look for that article again. As far as I recall it wasn't a question of IF chemicals were being transferred but a question of what negative effects they had

You might be right about that, but it's outside my area of expertise. Our lab doesn't do any "health" related work, we mainly deal with mechanical issues like the strength, puncture-resistance, wear-resistance, etc, of materials. We also study how those properties change with temperature, age, etc.

As for hamful chemicals transferring into food my opinion is that if you look hard enough anything could be potentially harmful. Glass contains lead, which is of course toxic. Stainless steel contains Chromium, which is likewise toxic. Iron--as in cast iron and carbon steel cookware--is a vital nutrient to some extent, but in high amounts is toxic. I don't think you could ever find something that is truly 100% perfect. Look hard enough and there are risks everywhere. The real question is whether or not those things leach into the food in enough quantity to matter.

I'm using some generic plastic shit for some things but will transition completely to glass mason jars here pretty soon.

I read an article somewhere that showed plastics leech out chems eventually, regardless of the type, so fuck that shit.

Glass is better for memory and for reheating reasons. If you buy some that nests/stacks, it's nice. If you reheat vs store cold items, you will want some with lids that vent. That's best.

Oh, yeah no matter what I buy next time I need the vent thingies. Wiping down the microwave every time you use it is reddit-tier

I just drape a kitchen towel over whatever I'm reheating. It works with any plate, bowl, mug, whatever.

Also, watch the fucking microwave and stop it if it starts splattering like crazy. It doesn't take long to reheat food, there's no reason to go wander off for the minute or two reheating takes.

Yeah true. Oh but there's always the titanium master race... ha

You sound like someone who has sat and stared at a few too many microwaves. Just kiddin you're probably right