Philosophy

If you are monetarily rich but no one knows, are you really rich ?

Yes

>no one
Not even yourself?

If somebody posts a dank meme, but it never gets reposted again, was the meme really dank?

yes because you can still buy things. Wtf.
An actual question would be: if you are monetarily rich but no one knows, do you really feel rich? Which is still a dumb question, but at least is a logical one

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Also money is only a social construct. The worth of a dollar, pound, euro whatever is only decided by us as a society. If one day we all decided a dollar was worth nothing, then there it is worthless. Money is only worth something when a group of people decide it is.

So I guess if you decide that you're rich, you are. But if a bunch of people say you aren't, you're not. /constructivism/

>Philosophy
>Sees Pepe
>Hides thread.

No, a meme is only as dank as its reposts.

>>yes because you can still buy things. Wtf.
this is the plebeian view. you can buy things, but they will be for the class where you were just before becoming rich.
With money alone, you can buy live modestly, but you cannot be rich. Money makes you rich once you buy your way into circles of rich people.
Money buys a network, then money buys a power over the people in the network.

In your very specific and individual definition of the word "rich", maybe

you cannot buy goods & services whereof you are not aware, money opens the door to these goods, but only after you work for it. money alone does not do improve your life.

By what definition of rich?

>If you are monetarily rich but no one knows, are you really rich ?

a lot of the richest ppl roll like that, they keep it on the downlow so they don't get begged for venture capital, non-profit donations, or just resentful ire from unsuccessful folks. if you look at the highest end clothing, like Loro Piana or some shit, there's no logos or labels on the shit...you can always tell a dumb tourist because they have some big ALEXANDER MCQUEEN logo on their hoodie, which they probably got at a fucking outlet or something, who does that? if you think showing off your money is a good idea, you probably aren't really in the top wealth tier

money and networks go hand in hand, you network on your way up with other people who are on track to create a lot of wealth, and eventually your network becomes the dominant one...this is why people kill to get into elite schools, because you are meeting people with all the resource (both intelligence and access to capital) to be successful, but before they are notorious

>or just resentful ire from unsuccessful folks
A bit off-topic, but why does this happen? Protection of the ego?

Il potere logora chi non ce l'ha.
Power consumes those who don't have it.

i don't know, it's weird, when some athlete is 10x over other pros and makes massive amounts of money, plebs and proles think it's great, and sometimes musicians (although resentment starts to creep in to music, I guess because it's easier to quantify three pointers and knockouts than "good songs") but it really gets bad when it comes to business, it's like everyone thinks they can be ceo of a bank or start a billion dollar tech firm, but of course they don't for some reason...the worst line is "oh it's all about who you know, not how hard you work" well if that's what you believe then shouldn't you invest all your time and money into improving "who you know"? but i would add to that, there are a lot of people who know any given "angel investor" but only the hardest working ones are going to get money first ,and second actually succeed to the point they get a return on investment

I'd argue that noone works that much harder than the others to justify the difference in earnings, but that's kind of another discussion entirely

well it also has do to with how much risk they take...the founder of a startup and his best engineer probably work equally hard, but if the company tanks and goes broke the engineer just applies to a different job two blocks over and continues on with life like nothing happened, meanwhile the founder has to try clear up a mass of ruble and start rebuilding the trust of why anyone should invest in him again...of course startups get around this inequality in early stages by giving stock options to engineers, but still this idea that everyone works "equally hard" is not exactly true at all, since a guy who digs ditch spent ten minutes learning to lift shovel, while the engineer spent 6 years in university studying difficult math classes to get a masters, so fore every hour worked the engineer produces more value because of the leverage from his education

spot on

>not taking rarity into account.

If the meme is rare it is dank, unless it's not a meme.

Yes, of course. To say that my argument was over-simplified would still not make justice to it

If I take a bbc in my ass but don't get paid for it is it rape?

no it's just casual friday

Yes. You are rich. Therefore, you are rich.

yes also its impossible to be rich without someone knowing unless you have hidden gold that you will never use. in that case yes its like power if never show it may as well not exist. hell never used power can at least give you a confidence boost but never used money is even more pointless

>yes because you can still buy things
if you buy things than people will know. the shop keeper will know, the IRS will know, your bank will know, etc.
he said monetarily rich, that does not auto equal money or just 1 type of money.
>So I guess if you decide that you're rich, you are. But if a bunch of people say you aren't, you're not.
no like with proclaiming yourself king, its not real unless others agree.

That is factual wrong. possession of money draws people to you,

yes, same if you regret it later .

even if they don't know about it?

woah, it's like magnets and shit...

damn......

no. His point was that you can't just buy stuff, you have to buy your way into the circle of the rich and good connections but once you start buying the connections will want you as an investor or a client and will seek you on their own. while they court you, their other connections are likely to pop up and before you know you and your endless money are king of the hill

Money makes you happier up till around 200k a year. After you're able to buy yourself and your kids a comfy life it gets kinda pointless. That's what money really buys comfort and security.

Yes

If you are monetarily rich but nobody cares, are you really rich?