What are some female authors that you say have literary merit...

What are some female authors that you say have literary merit? I don't like the meme that women don't contribute anything worthwhile to lit, as I would disagree from some authors I have read, and so I'm curious if anyone else is favorable of any woman author?

I just started The Bell Jar, and it is simple, but it's got wit and intuition that I am falling in love with so far. But, some of female authors that I have read and liked a lot are Ursula K Leguin and Anna Kavan.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ohHP1l2EVnU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Virginia Woolf is very good
I also recommend Carson McCullers

>Carson McCullers
I'll have to take a look. I'm taking a Women in Literature course next quarter for this curiosity and Virgina Woolf I think is on the syllabus.

fuck, and also George Eliot, of course.

Sylvia Plath is the most comely looking author. I bet she was great in the sack, crazy chicks usually are.

Emily Bronte

Angelou, Maya
Austen, Jane
Brontë, Anne
Brontë, Charlotte
Brontë, Emily
Cather, Willa
Chopin, Kate
Darrieussecq, Marie
Duras, Marguerite
Eliot, George
Jackson, Shirley
Le Guin, Ursula K.
O'Connor, Flannery
Robinson, Marilynne
Sarraute, Nathalie
Smith, Zadie
Stein, Gertrude
Wharton, Edith

We should try making a chart one of these days.

Emily Brontë. Both her poetry and Wuthering Heights demonstrate sublime energy and masterful style.

I think THIS picture of her is excellent. She is very cute. While I am reading The Bell Jar I imagine Esther as Sylvia looks in the OP photo.

But talking about Sylvia's looks may bring out her contempt...

by "THIS picture" I meant OP. Contemptful Sylvia is not something I feel good while looking at. Shame, shame, shame...

I want to _____ Slyvia

uhh I knew this would happen with using such a cute OP.

I am interested in discovering the female-centric associations with Gothic lit. There was a course last year at my school about it and we did a conjoined assignment with my Film (we went and saw The Witch) class and what the theories they were drawing their conclusions from sounded so fascinating.

We have one. It's fairly comprehensive.

Heard a lot of Wuthering Heights. I'm fond of the Grey Gardens (original) film and I've heard some comparisons made, dunno if that holds any real connection though.

Neat

Me too, user

>Lorrie Moore makes the list but Marilynne Robinson doesn't

yuck

On the topic of Anna Kavan (can someone tell me how to pronounce her last name too?) are her other books as interesting and expressionistic as Ice was? The plot of Ice is pretty meh, as I'm sure many would agree, but the anxiety and terror conveyed in her writing is something unique to my reading her.

I recently read The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector and found it very good. It borders on the line of being too abstract at times, but the language was very nice

slit my wrists and lay in a bath tub with

I have never read anything by her, but she seems very intelligent and honest by this interview I watched in one of my classes. I loved her for this and suggest you watch it if you're interested in some real honesty.

youtube.com/watch?v=ohHP1l2EVnU

me 2

Amy Schumer

>The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo
my dude!

I read this earlier this year and I just though it was not very good, but going onto Goodreads I just see reviews by women who love it and I think that situations like these breed misogyny.

Gina Berriault
Shirley Hazzard

>reviews by women
That is totally her audience. Her humor is unfunny as hell to me, but being the "funniest" woman comic is like being the smartest retard.

Maria Bamford is actually funny #notallwomancomicsuck

preach it/take a sip ladies/yaaaass

I like Maria bamford but she makes fun of mental illness a lot and I thought that was off limits by the knights of political correctness. But feminists seem to eat her shit up, so I guess as long as the group she is putting down is one you don't identify with, it's ok.

This month I have read The Summer Book and Fair Play by Tove Jansson. They are terrific.

Any opinions on Marie Luise Kaschnitz?
She's been on my to-read list for ages since I read a poem of hers that I liked, but I haven't gotten around to it so far.

Mavis Gallant, forever and always. Second most published writer in the New Yorker before it went to shit. Some really subtle and complex character studies, such as how a post-WWII Frenchman can go for the far-right/neo-Facism.

She also had some legit bouts of her own with mental illness.

I think she is funny because I like Garth from Wayne's World.

, a .

Some female "straight fiction/literature" or poetry authors I own five or more books by:
Kathy Acker, Margaret Atwood, Jane Austen, Dionne Brand, A.S. Byatt, Marguerite Duras, Elizabeth Gaskell, Anne Hebert, Shirley Jackson, Evelyn Lau, Toni Morrison, Alice Munro, Edith Wharton, Jane Urquhart. I recommend them all.

Those quads.

I've heard Jane Austen is sarcastic and was making fun of her society. Which of her books does this best?

I love Sylvia. Besides her, Virginia Woolf, Charlotte and Emily Brontë, Edith Wharton, George Eliot, and Mary Shelley come to mind.

Pride and Prejudice, I'd say, though irony, satire and friendly mocking of people, and mild sarcasm are part of her style. The funniest is Northanger Abbey, her send-up of Gothic crap. It's equaled only by Thomas Love Peacock's Nightmare Abbey.

Why so much Abbey titles?

The Gothic stories written by Brits depended on the otherness of Catholics (known mostly to them by the ruined abbeys from the dissolution and Puritan war) for their perverted villains and spooky settings.

idk I have a lot of books by woman authors. Do you want a really long list? I actually thought over half my library was women authors but it is only ~38% apparently.

Contribute what you think you should. This thread is already pretty generous.

Ah, very interesting.

Why does lit hate Ayn Rand?

Stirner basically pisses on her.

I only included better known authors

Jane Austen
Beryl Bainbridge
Simone de Beauvoir
Sybille Bedford
Aphra Behn
Caroline Blackwood
Vera Brittain
Anne Brontë
Charlotte Brontë
Emily Brontë
Anita Brookner
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Leonora Carrington
Margaret Cavendish
Ivy Compton-Burnett
Barbara Comyns
Jennifer Dawson
EM Delafield
Margaret Drabble
Daphne Du Maurier
George Eliot
Fumiko Enchi
Penelope Fitzgerald
Marie de France
Elizabeth Gaskell
Stella Gibbons
Elizabeth Jane Howard
Julian of Norwich
Molly Keane
Louise Labé
Madame de Lafayette
Olivia Manning
Katherine Mansfield
Nancy Mitford
Penelope Mortimer
Iris Murdoch
Irène Némirovsky
Anaïs Nin
Edna O'Brien
Barbara Pym
Mary Renault
Jean Rhys
Christina Rossetti
Vita Sackville-West
Françoise Sagan
Lady Sarashina
Mary Shelley
Sei Shonagon
Murasaki Shikibu
Edith Sitwell
Stevie Smith
Muriel Spark
Elizabeth Taylor
Flora Thompson
Sylvia Townsend Warner
Rebecca West
Antonia White
Mary Wollstonecraft
Virginia Woolfe

I've been putting off on reading that book, should I keep putting it off or is it really worth the read?

I'll throw in Anne Carson and Joan Didion (nonfiction only).

This thread is honestly one of the best I've seen on this board in a while. Good job everybody.

You lost

Zinaida Gippius
Elena Guro
Karen Blixen
Ry Nikonova
Frances Yates

I dont know if Ingeborg Bachmann is known internationally

How about Ingeborg Bachmann?

Dont see you post.

Jane Urquhart

hug and tell everything will be okay to

I know most women can't write humor but Evelyn Waugh is a laugh riot. You should check her out. I never thought women could be funny until I read her.

kavæn

Yes, it's worth the read.

Evelyn Waugh is male.

Edith Wharton is very good. I'm currently reading The Age of Innocence; good stuff.

comfort and emotionally support

>ignoring my waifu

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shirley Jackson is an excellent horror author and Eimear McBride's first novel/collection of poetry is a work of art.

thanks bro

Am I the only one who really, really wants to eat her ass?

THIS
Wuthering Heights is a masterpiece

Elena Ferrante - read her Neapolitan novels, friend.