Spring has arrived and that means is almost mushroom hunting season!

Spring has arrived and that means is almost mushroom hunting season!

Its a fun little hobby and delicious too

Other urls found in this thread:

psms.org/
fungi.com/
gizmodo.com/why-a-small-pennsylvania-town-is-the-mushroom-capital-o-1507494984
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I live in the American midwest and last year found . Porcini, Chanterelle, Shaggy Mane, King Bolete, and even a few black and white Morels

congrats, you over-harvested

classic rookie mistake

I live in Washington, North of Seattle. I think mushroom hunting would be fun, but i know fuck all about them and where to find them.

I don't want to end up dying or going to the hospital because i picked the wrong shit. Can anyone point me to some good mushroom hunting reading material so i can read up on it a bit?

>implying he can't make delicious pickled mushrooms
It's summer even on Veeky Forums.

Collecting fiddleheads is fun too.

Moving to Japan in 2 weeks, anyone been mushroom picking there?

Man I wish I lived in fucking Skyrim like the rest of you guys. That shits not in the city

>picking mushrooms in Japan after Fukushima
Good idea!

>pickled mushrooms
eww sounds yucky

Chanterelles are the only thing I can safely identify around me. That and the red ones with white spots. I do t know enough about the rest so I'm to scared to try.

I need to find me some of these. I'm not huge on most mushrooms but these and chanterelles are d a n k

>posts on Veeky Forums
>doesn't know about pickled mushrooms
you fucking philistines, I swear...

>mfw a friend has morchellas growing wild on her backyard and she doesn't care about them
I'm gonna go steal them some day

I'll gladly stay a philistine if it means not having to eat your gross ass pickled mushrooms

>tfw morels were everywhere on my property a five years ago, and now I havent seen any for three years.

>garlic
>onion
>bay leaf
>whie vinegar
>black pepper
>salt
>your favourite mushrooms

Your loss.

>I don't know how radiation works: The post

>whie vinegar
never heard of it

Seattle has the PSMS, Puget Sound Mycological Society, which meets at the UW.

psms.org/

I'm pretty sure that springtime is when they hold their training classes and mushroom-hunting hikes. Call or go to the meeting and find out.

Looks like their next meeting is April 11 at 7:30pm. Contact information:

U.W. Center for Urban Horticulture
3501 NE 41st Street
Seattle, WA 98105

(206) 522-6031
[email protected]

Also, it's a wise decision to get trained. The Vietnamese manage to kill a few of themselves every year -- someone brings Grandma over from Vietnam, she's never set foot out of Asia before, they drag her off to go mushroom hunting because tradition, and because she doesn't know the difference between Washington state mushrooms and Vietnam's mushrooms she manages to pick death caps or something equally fatal. Every. Fucking. Year.

BTW, also give a call to Paul Stamets' company, Fungi Perfecti. They're located in Olympia. He has some of the best textbooks around on mushroom identification and growing, and sells kits to grow them at home.

fungi.com/

It's not that you're wrong, it's just that you're not very smart. See, the area contaminated by radioisotopes from Fukushima is actually rather small, and the rest of the entire fucking country is largely unaffected.

Sort of like how a couple of tornadoes in Missouri don't mean that California has been wiped off the map, or how nuclear testing in Nevada didn't render Chicago uninhabitable.

Awesome, thank you.

Happy hunting! And don't get poisoned!

Isn't mushroom hunting dangerous? A lot of horror stories about people dying from poisoned mushrooms that look edible.

That's why you never leave home without your handy dandy Field Guide to Mushrooms.

And if you're in a tight spot, bring along several little children.

it's down to local knowledge, doing research (having field guides etc) and if in doubt you can do a spore print and get them identified online as well.

it IS dangerous though, you can't just eat a shroom, wait 5min and think you're good. some kinds can wait 3 days before just killing your liver.

that cat is devilish

It's easy, just take out some corn meal agar, a petri dish, a microscope, some slides, and look at the hyphae yourself after a couple days of growth.

hey guys I found some mushrooms. think I can eat these?

>And if you're in a tight spot, bring along several little children.
*whom you don't like.

Go ahead. Eat 'em like candy.

Live in MN, is it even good here?

Yup

Go eat your preserved hamburger faggot

Go for it, what could possibly go wroooooooooOOOOOOOooooooooooohhhhaaa man have you ever really looked at your hand, I mean really?

BTW, Paul Stamets also has a great book on those. For educational purposes only, of course.

Don't forget, it's almost ramp season too, just don't overharvest
Gonna eat some blackened with eggs, yum

>nuclear testing in Nevada didn't render Chicago uninhabitable.

Shame, really.

Just look up common edible mushrooms in the Pacific Northwest, and learn the characteristics about them. Then what I do before eatting a mushroom after doing the best identification with physical features I take a spore print and see if it matches with what I've guessed what mushroom it is. If it's a match eat up, if not do more research

I live in Northeast Pennsylvania. Can I anything good here or will I poison myself?

I didn't say Chicago wasn't uninhabitable, it just wasn't because of the nuclear testing.

John Varley — 'I had thought Chicago was inevitable, like diarrhea.'

The northeast is prime mushroom real estate. I'm sure there are great guides to edible fungi in Pennsylvania, especially for the Poconos. I recommend you keep an eye out for chicken of the woods as it's common and very distinct.

Stick to unique edible varieties until you've become familiar with the differences between choice edibles and their deadly duplicates. The destroying angel (which I've found in the Catskills and assume is pretty common in the NY-NJ-PA area) is the most infamous and in its early stages looks similar to any other plain white mushroom.

Also, this is south of you, but neat:
gizmodo.com/why-a-small-pennsylvania-town-is-the-mushroom-capital-o-1507494984