Who are some great writers you have never seen mentioned on Veeky Forums?

Who are some great writers you have never seen mentioned on Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

massey.ac.nz/massey/fms/Colleges/College of Humanities and Social Sciences/EMS/Readings/139.105/Additional/The Balloon - Donald Barthelme.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Leonid Andreyev and Nescio, never see them mentioned

Gogol, Tišma

Büchner.
I gave up on my diary when I read Lenz desu.

Witkacy.
Probably lack of good translations.
Bruno Schulz.

Heinrich Bol

Donna Tartt

Muriel Spark

Gore Vidal

Robert Musil

J. Rodolfo Wilcock
Giorgio Manganelli (especially)
Hakim Bey
Joan Didion
Carlo Ginzburg
Resa Negarestani (seen a grand total of five threads about Cyclonopedia and I starter three of the)

Gogol gets a few threads every week or so, I seem to recall

Koestler

Can't say I've ever seen a thread about Donald Barthelme but then I'm not yet convinced he deserves to be called great.

We never get any Petrarch or Boccaccio here

>Hakim Bey
The temporary autonomous zone is the shittest anarchist idea, and hes an actual pedo. Fuck Hakim Bey.

But it's not though, it offers an jnteresting way to try and relate with others or how to organize activity in your local area I don't even think of defending his pedophilia, fuck that shit.

Nathanael West

I read Day of the Locust about a year ago after seeing his name pop up here a several times, always with very high praise. Maybe I just built it up in my head, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I did enjoy it, thought it was quite good, just not as excellent as I was expecting. Still easily good enough for me to read more of him, although I haven't gotten around to it yet. What else of his you would recommend?

desu my diary desu

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich gets mentioned every now and then, and, really infrequently, so does Gulag Archipelago, but Solzhenitsyn should be mentioned more in my opinion. I have never once seen Cancer Ward mentioned aside from my own posts, and it's easily one of the greatest 20th century books I've read.

Thank you for giving my life purpose user. I will now devote my life to showing the world why Barthelme is great. He and Fielding Dawson were two of the most innovative short story writers of the twentieth.

Its Böll you Springer-Verlag-cuck

He died when waslike 13 so there isn't much, but I liked Miss Lonelyhearts even better than the Day of the Locust

Lincoln is fantastic.

massey.ac.nz/massey/fms/Colleges/College of Humanities and Social Sciences/EMS/Readings/139.105/Additional/The Balloon - Donald Barthelme.pdf
Word

Flaubert rarely gets mentioned.
Usually a few mentions of Camus, Celine, Sartre or DeBeuavior are about it for French lit.
Even Stendahl and Balzac seem to get more love than Flaubert around here.

You're welcome, bro. And good luck. I'll take some convincing. I'd be the first to say that Barthelme is worth reading, and that 1/4 of the time he can be reliably compelling. There are just too many tiresome pieces in his oeuvre for me to call him great.

The Balloon is masterful, no dispute here.

>1/4 of the time he can be reliably compelling
Let me try that again. He can be relied on to be compelling about 1/4 of the time.

George Bernanos

>Il voyagea.
>Il connut la mélancolie des paquebots, les froids réveils sous la tente, l'étourdissement des paysages et des ruines, l'amertume des sympathies interrompues.
>Il revint.
>Il fréquenta le monde, et il eut d’autres amours, encore. Mais le souvenir continuel du premier les lui rendait insipides ; et puis la véhémence du désir, la fleur même de la sensation était perdue.

Flaubert and maupassant are really the true victims of criminal overlooking on Veeky Forums.

but their God is Joyce so I guess its to be expected.

John Green.

>doesnt hear enough about The Third Man

I don't. He's a good author, and pretty cute.

D.H. Lawrence should be talked about more.

García Márquez. Sure, everybody mentiosn 100 years, but aside from that i don´t see discussion on him or his other works.
Also, i don´t see a lot of Chekhov around here.

This guy would be extremely popular here if more people read his books

Came here to post this. Leonce & Lena is one of my favourite plays of all time.

Goncharov

Jeffrey Archer

Harry Mulisch, W. F. Hermans, Ferdinand Bordewijk, Nescio, Joost van Vondel.

W. Somerset Maugham
Dude mastered the short story and really understood life at a deep level

Myself

he was an awful writer desu

John Green
Hanya Yanagihara
Stephen Chbosky

Veeky Forums is also obsessed with that gremlin Houellebecq

kek

Balzac doesn't get mentioned enough. Never seen a single person mention any of the Persian poets, classical or modernist.

Genet is criminally underrated. I've seen 3 threads about him on the past 4 months, 2 of them started by me.

Day of the Locust is overrated, written during his Hollywood screenwriter days. His early works: The Dream Life of Balso Snell and A Cool Million are a notable mention. But you want to read Miss Lonelyhearts, not only one of the funniest short reads but extremely dark and upliftingly depressing.

He's a complete hack. His poetry is juvenile, his rhetoric clunky and not convincing.

Nescio is a staple in Dutch threads, not part of the big 4 but cool enough, we just don't have many Dutch threads.

>MUH Dutch canon.

Needs more Couperus.

Rebreanu(i am aware only of a french translation though). Also Eminescu, Cartarescu, Ionesco, Becket, Visniec. Inb4 retarded romanian posting.

Gombrowicz is even better. Ferdydurke seems like exactly type of book Veeky Forums should care about

Steven Millhauser
George F. Kennan
Zbigniew Brzezinski

French Classicists. Don't see much Racine or Corneille on here.

I am the only person I've seen post about Thomas De Quincey.

Daniil Kharms, that man had a great sense of humour. Something on a par with Monty Python, although this may be a rough comparison.

I agree. Barthelme gets exactly the amount of recognition he deserves.

Veeky Forums used to have daily Kharms-threads at one point, with some Iranian (I think?) guy desperately trying to get a hold of Kharms' book.

I think he's on a few charts every now and then, but I don't see Andrei Bely often. One of the best Russian authors

Rowling K, J.

Marosa Di Giorgio
Manuel Maples Arce
Álvaro Mutis
Alfonso Reyes
César Vallejo
José Lezama Lima
Severo Sarduy
Daniel Sada

Laszlo Krasnahorkai and Georges Perec I've seen talked about a bit but not nearly as much as they should be, especially considering lit's preferences

I don't know if I've seen anyone mention Sasha Sokolov either.

yeah Danton's Tod was a surprisingly brilliant read when I was finishing my Abitur. He was so radical and modern in his use of language and deconstruction of historic tropes, it's astounding.

he was a meme here several years back, search the archives for Iranbro posts. some anons actually ended up reading him, but that wave of Veeky Forumsizens is all gone now, though.

W. G. Sebald
Jacques Rancière
Walter Benjamin

Literally reading it now. What am I going to think of it?

Poets mostly. Donne particularly.

Not Ayn Rand

Paul Mariani, one of the best poets currently active

Rene Daumal
Antonin Artaud
Curzio Malaparte
Fyodor Sologub
Vsevold Garshin
Ismail Kadare
Marcel Schwob
Roland Topor
Pierre Klossowski
Albert Caraco

James Krüss wrote about the ultimate deal with devil

Lemony Snicket.

H.G. Wells

Miss Lonelyhearts is one of my favorite novellas, def worth a read

Anna Kavan

probably for the best tho.

c.s. forester

Lorca

Bruce Wagner
Dead Stars is a masterpiece

Ferdowsi.

good choice user
he was a master of satire too

Ramon del Valle Inclan

Pretty much the Mexican Joyce, desu.
Picked Tyrant Banderas at a bookstore in Minneapolis and it blew my mind.
He's largely unread in the English speaking world; a majority of his works have yet to be translated.

Frank Norris

Are there any bookstores in Minneapolis you particularly like? I'm nearby, but I only ever buy used books or buy through Amazon.

Jaroslav Hasek
Bohumil Hrabal

Borges
Marx

Sigrid Undset

People talk about Svejk all the time.

Robert Walser

yet it's because his writing sucks ass

Dan Brown

Just read Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, it was dope.

>Donald Barthelme
He deserves much more respect than he gets, both here and elsewhere

Richard Brautigan doesn't get discussed enough here. I also rarely see Thomas Bernhard

> no Reve
pls reconsider

I thought I was the only one.

His works were hardly anything like a normal YA/Children's book, and I still struggle to find something similar in normal, adult literature.

>Those themes
>Tons of references lost to children
>A lot of re-readability
>Plotted a pretty cohesive narrative over 13 books with hidden aspects and groups
>Pretty good prose, really
>A great aesthetic

I'd love for him to write something for adults, to see how far he can go. I still don't mind re-reading A Series of Unfortunate Events once in a while, though.

Bump

Bump.

Aimee Bender, Pat Cadigan, Halldor Laxness