Start reading Fagles The Iliad

>start reading Fagles The Iliad
>introduction goes on for more than fifty pages

What the fuck? Am I really expected to read this?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/books/page-turner/englishing-the-iliad-grading-four-rival-translations
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never read the introductions to books. they usually spoil all of it anyway. read that shit last.

They're helpful if you have no context as to what you're reading and you don't care about spoilers. The first time I read Finnegans Wake I wouldn't have enjoyed it at all if I skipped the intro. That's probably a special case, but still... It's the fucking Iliad. Everyone knows the story.

If you're not enjoying the intro, and it's not elucidating anything, skip it. Plain and simple.

No, but it's fun

Read the introduction afterwards.

>spoilers
>thinks the Iliad is ベルセルク

>caring about spoilers for a text as old as The Iliad

Plus, intros are usually arranged so you can skim it for whatever info might matter to you. If you're concerned about the translation, then read whatever section talks about translation concerns; if you want his take on the characters and plot and the story's context and influence, then read that section.

If none of that shit matters to you, then don't read it.

>spoiling the iliad

ayy

mfw when there's a foreward, preface, introduction, and acknowledgements

and each is at least 20 pages

I enjoyed the introduction, it gives a nice little discussion on whether the Iliad is a single text or compiled from many different tales. It's a shame that I can't remember much of it now.

Fagles' acknowledgements can be safely ignored.

Which edition are we talking here?

do they have different intros?
rustic helmet masterrace here, and the intro was great

>startred reading the Anatomy of Melancholy
>introduction is 100 pages and still not over

Knox writes great intros you fag

What? No way!

>start reading Joyces Ulysses
>introduction goes on for more than eighty pages

What the fuck? Am I really expected to read this?

Personally I find introductions, commentary on obscure elements &c. fascinating.

Longest intro I've personally read is a volume of Kropotkin, shit was like 130 pages iirc.

>the introduction is longer than the actual text itself

>fagles

hahahaha

you don't HAVE TO do anything. read the iliad, then the intro, then simone weil's poem of force

newyorker.com/books/page-turner/englishing-the-iliad-grading-four-rival-translations

>I actually recognized that despite never studying any kana

same for penguin's count of monte cristo

Fucking retard advice. The introduction for any of book of significant literary merit is often written by someone who has more knowledge about the book than you, and wants to share something with you because they think it'll help you appreciate the book to its fullest.
About 60% of the time they're successful, but you can also usually tell very quickly if an intro is not going to be worth your time. You should read the beginning of the intro to judge for yourself if it seems like non-trash, because it is very rewarding when the intro is good

It's more rewarding to form your own opinions of things rather than have them colored by a lengthy introduction.

pseud