What are some things, situations, or feelings that the English language doesn't have a word for?

What are some things, situations, or feelings that the English language doesn't have a word for?

>tfw no gf
There's no English word that quite does it justice.
Also, the thunder words in Finnegans Wake

loser

English has no good word that represents the Greek "logos." Martin Luther translated it as "word," but that's a gross oversimplification of its meaning, because Luther was a dullard.

I don't think Martin Luther translated shit into English, senpai.

Schadenfreude

>Gezellig

Gezelligheid is a Dutch word which, depending on context, can be translated as convivial, cozy, fun, or nice atmosphere, but can also show someone belonging, time spent with loved ones, the fact of seeing a friend after a long absence, or the general togetherness that gives people a warm feeling.

The only common trait to all descriptions of gezelligheid is a rather general and abstract sensation of individual well-being that one typically shares with others. All descriptions involve a positive atmosphere, flow or vibe that colors the individual personal experience in a favorable way and in one way or another corresponds to social contexts.

As this is a very vague and abstract notion, the word is considered to be an example of untranslatability, and is one of the hardest words to translate to English. Some consider the word to encompass the cancerous heart of Dutch culture.

>needs to call someone a loser on an anonymous messageboard to vent the pent up anger from their godawful life.
Feel bad 4 U son.

not sure if bait or retarded

When you don't have a girlfriend you feel like a loser. Sorry no ***trigger warning***.

wouldn't sadism be good enough for a loose translation?

nein

>you need two words to describe something

WHOAH

What's a word for moralizing addict?

Most words from non-indoeuropean languages sheerly because of the morphological differences

Loose translation yes, but the connotation is entirely lost. Sadism has a much more technical connotation to it while Schadenfreude has a more 'humane' and poetic connotation for native German speakers

Here we go again:
Saudade

WAH

sadism means you enjoy hurting people
schadenfreude is a kind of amusement (not exactly joy) coming from others getting hurt by themselves or a third party

they're not comparable

sadism has to do with sexual pleasure from pain, not simple enjoyment

naughty, i know

When someone complements you and you realize that what they said wasn't true at all, so you feel more cynical the next time someone complements you, and so on, until complements produce the opposite of the intended effect

"jerk," or "tool" will do

tergiversar

dodge

Weltschmerz (see: Werther)
Fernweh
Wanderlust (both Fernweh and Wanderlust are related, but Wanderlust is more about actually doing something to travel, while Fernweh is more a general longing for the distance)

I'm guessing this is not bait nor retardation and you're just guessing about wanderlust and wrong, therefore a dummy.

Nice shitposting

Knew some fucker would post this. I hate this word. It makes Portuguese speakers so lazy. In English language prose, lyrics, even daily conversation, there are so many ways to express this. Longing, yearning, a simple 'I miss you'.

But in Portuguese this gets boiled down to a lazy, meaningless "sdds vc kkkk".

Fuck saudades, it's a stupid word.

Saudades=/=Yearning

It's kind of the whole feeling of someone being away, as in, the sum of your desire to see them back and the pain you feel from their being away,

Amae in Japanese

It's something like "the feeling of being dependent on and babies by your dpouse or partner". It's applicable to both sexes but, depending on who you talk to, is slightly more associated with women than with men. Also unlike the closest English translations like "attachment" or "codependent", it has a fairly strong positive connotation and is indicative of a deep relationship.

>inb4 go back to /a/
>inb4 go back to /jp/

>*babied by your spouse or partner

You're literally describing the feeling of yearning to be with someone.

that's yearning, fuckface

thats a pure construct from the nihonjinron remains.

BTFO
T
F
O

cigan
It means "gypsy" but is actually insulting, like "nigger"

When you want to bust a nut inside but she doesn't let you.

Trump. There are no words in any language other than, uh, Trump.

cuck

the most retarded post i've seen in a while.

r a p e

My feelings desu.

Holy hell so much this. About the closest thing we have to Logos atm is Consciousness

Hurdur what is latin?

What about Melancholy? They are so close to the same feeling as to bleed into each other.

English already has a word for that, it's called Comfy

Boiled To Fucking Oil

Also one needen't to be actively causing the pain to feel schadenfreud.

voyeuristic sadism is still sadism

>Some consider the word to encompass the cancerous heart of Dutch culture.

I thought that one was swaffelen

And you're not going to explain why?

bon appetit

no words in english to differentiate the sort of love you feel for friends/family/gf/wife of many years

why are you guys so adamant that Schadenfreude doesn't involve an amount of sadism

Re la concha de tu madre

propos
parole
chez

Sadism requires you to feel schadenfreude
but schadenfreude doesn't require you to be a sadist to enjoy it

No word for the general feeling of disorientation/displacement you sometimes feel right after waking up.

>Yrvaken
Swedish master race. Jk, we don't even have a fucking word for awkward, which is an unbelievably useful word

There is a Spanish word "mamporrero".

There is no English analog.

It is the job title for the person that facilitates horse mating by aligning the genitalia.

discombobulated