What do people think of IB

Is it a good option ?
How is it compared to A-Levels ?
I personally think it's mostly useless crap but my brainlet brother insists on going to an IB school thats expensive as shit.

It's a complete scam.

there's a reason it's more expensive
if your brother is motivated to actually study, he should go for it

In IB Chemistry HL class atm. Fuck this shit

im assuming you are sitting in the back
take a sneaky picture of a qt and post for us

>paying thousands of dollars to learn first-year material

I did AP exams at a public school and skipped the first year of college. If you're not totally retarded then you'll learn the material from the book.

>my brainlet brother
yep, he should stay away from it

>IB
leftist trash accepted only by liberal arts universities

Do AP or whatever your UK equivalent is and get university credits for free

>There's a reason it's more expensive
There really isn't. You pay basically for being in the IB and you get nothing else. Neither material or faculty training.

ib is more intellectually demanding

It's a filter remove highschool dropouts and teachers who don't give a shit from your highschool experience. Which may be worth the money depending but there's other drawbacks

t. Full ib diploma

This. It will remove most of the fuckwits from your class, it's worth it for that.

I have a friend in year 13 doing the IB and it has made him lose all of his interest in the subject he picked. There is a lot of irrelevant material as well as things you're forced to learn that won't help you at all in getting into uni/doing your degree.

I recommend A-Levels desu

My high school was IB. I didn't pay anything for it, however.

Compared to the local national high school curriculum (not the A-levels) you do less subjects and the workload is greater. Also exams are much more harshly timed. Further, there is the extra bullshit (CAS, TOK, EE) which is a bit annoying. IB was harder to get into than most other high school programs around and has a reputation for being difficult so the people were generally a bit less spastic but by no means was everyone especially gifted or studious.

I've been in university for Physics for a few years now and I don't think A-levels vs. IB made a huge difference in preparing me. The course contects seem pretty similar. Since I'm in a UK uni, first-year courses mostly assumed A-levels knowledge and sometimes the overlap wasn't perfect but it really wasn't a huge deal. After first year you won't even think about it.

It made sense for me because it was in English and is internationally recognized, neither of which are true for the national curriculum which would have put me at a slight disadvantage in applying to the UK. If you're already in the UK then it probably doesn't matter.

At the end of the day it's a high school curriculum with some ideology about world citizens slapped on top which you can mostly ignore. You can maybe even spin the whole CAS volunteer work and shit to your advantage in uni applications although I don't know if it really matters.

There are IB schools?
At my public school it was just another program you could go into, where you would take IB classes, but it really wasn't any different than plain honor classes with a community service requirement.

this. I was in full ib, dropped to partial in gr 12 and I didnt notice getting any credit in uni.

fuck IB, I dont know about AP but its probably worse/same. enjoy your time in high school, take it easy, game/party. I missed out on that but then again probably preaching to the wrong board.

>I dont know about AP but its probably worse/same
AP is all focused on a test, and pretty much every university states what scores they'll accept and for what credit, so there's no real getting jipped out of credit unless you just don't do well enough on the test, in which case you clearly didn't deserve it.

>enjoy your time in high school, take it easy, game/party
This is good advice.
Also fug some qt tier boi pussy once while you're at it then. That way you'll have gotten that outta your way early on.

OP here, thank you for the thread I thought I was the only one who thought like this.

>uni credit for IB

what is this even

Why would this be a thing?

ib is harder so unis give you an extra edge when accepting students

Not in the UK, I don't think. If anything, I got the impression it's kind of harder for IB students because while you have entry requirements for usually 3 A-levels, in the IB they take your 3 HL subjects but then you also have to sit the exams and get some point total from the 3 SL subjects and the other shit.

So the A-level requirement might be A*A*A and the IB requirement 776 from HL with 40 points overall which is an implicit additional requirement of like 666 from your SL subjects + 2 extra points.

They should. I've gotten 800s on SAT II subject tests for US and World History and 5s on US History, World History, and European History without even trying. I didn't even take the course for the last exam—just signed up on a whim.

I barely got a 6 out of a max 7 in IB HL History. Probably didn't help that I'm American, since the snobby European graders hate Americans, but it's certainly much harder to succeed.

IMO, the science courses are weaker than AP, though the math courses are stronger than AP. There's no science with calculus in IB, but they make up for it with a much more rigorous HL Mathematics and Further Mathematics program, which covers way more in two years than AP Calculus AB/BC.

Just dual enroll

IB's good if you want a broader sixth form education. Personally I preferred doing A-Levels because I could focus on the four subjects I actually enjoyed. In terms of getting into a UK uni then it might have a slight disadvantage to A levels but I still know a few people who did it.