>Do the odds

what

If your class has you do just the odd problem sets, its a brainlet university

kys

>If your class has you do problem sets, its a brainlet university
ftfy

If you can afford tuition, you go to a brainlet university

>Mastering Engineering

If you have weed out classes you go to a brainlet university.

If the professor uses slides he stole off stanfordU, you go to a brainlet university.

>tfw i go to a brainlet university

inb4 kys

>Not getting a full ride
Brainlet detected

If you receive good boy points for clean hair, you go to a brainlet university.

>If you can ride your university, it's a horse

If it has the word "State" in the title, you go to a brainlet university.

>.ppt
>.ppt1
>textbook on foreign language
>low to no practical work
>practical work is done with people that do it for the money
I could go on

>your professor scales up every exam

Odd number of problems or what do you mean?

my dude,
some textbooks leave even numbered problems unanswered and have the results of the odd ones at the back

Man, I remember middle school.

some explain this to me.

>people don't routinely commit suicide due to stress

Thanks for the info. I've only seen "solutions to selected problems" maybe twice, so odd problems having solutions like this was a new thing.

This. God damn I hate scales. I wish people just accepted what they got on tests and exams and realized if they got a bad score that they need to study harder and actually learn the material.

>there are engineers in the physics classes

Yeah my calculus textbook is like that, and it's annoying as fuck

At my uni all the problem sheets are written by the lecturers.

>tfw you puzzle over a question for hours only to find out you can't access the official answer
For some mind-bending courses like Probability or Topology I'd really like to know if I got it "right"

>when the calculus classes are allowed to use cheat sheets

>probability
>mind-bending
Choose one (1).

That's a problem of the first unit of the first semester of any engineering you mong.

>the majority of the people in your major pass all their first semester core classes without much difficulty

If your university didn't fail 2/3rds of your class out of your stem field in the first year it's a brainlet university.

what if your professor gives tests where the average is like 19% and that's normal

common at my university's physics faculty

If your school doesn't challenge you enough and you have time to waste on Veeky Forums, you might go to a brainlet uni.

Then there is one of three possibilities:
>The tests are way too hard
>The professor is shit at teaching
>The students are complete retards
If they're all retards, they should be left to fail. More likely, though, it's one of the first two problems.

we're a top 10 physics faculty globally so I doubt it's 2 or 3

perhaps you're just a fucking brainlet with no experience outside your fucking retard American school where everyone can perform well

kys

Not the guy you are responding to, but if you knew the answer to your question why ask it in the first place?

A test where the average is 19% is a pointless test. If half the students are unable to correctly answer more than a fifth of the test, then they haven't learnt the material being tested.

Also, faculties are ranked mostly by their research. I've met plenty of brilliant researchers who are terrible teachers. Research skills and teaching skills are different and mastery of one set of skills does not imply mastery of the other.

this is probably the most American answer I've ever read just because of how fucking ignorant it is

kys

I wouldn't set any limits like that. Some classes are supposed to be weeders, and the pass rate is whatever it is. If the average is 19% that means almost everyone needs to gtfo

It's a directional school.

This, you go to a brainlet university if otherwise

I'm not a native english speaker and I enrolled for courses imparted in english because reasons. The teachers giving the lectures are the heads of the different investigation fields hosted in my university because they visit and do expostions in foreign conventions often, so their spoken english is top notch. They are excellent teachers and their several PhD don't get in the way of feeling empathy for their studients, they're probably the best teachers I've had in college so far. From my experience, the ones that have given up on their investigations and just come to give class, or the guys who are just hired from somewhere else to do a specific class are the worst, they just don't give a fuck.

That's funny since I'm not American.

>Acceptance rate is greater than 50%
>SAT score averages are low
>GPA Deflation (so not only do you go to a brainlet school, but there is rapid GPA deflation in STEM courses). So, by the time you graduate and apply to graduate school you have 2 marks against you 1) Brainlet university 2) Low GPA
>Professors don't do research, just teach
>US News & Report ranks you school below the top 100.

>I got a PhD. in x and wrote a dissertation in a format that was ingrained into me by the same people I agreed with to get my degree in x.
>To get said degree in x I also had to do t u v w y z courses unrelated to x in order to get degree in x.
>I could have learned how to do x in a shorter time by using the internet and reading a book that explains x.

Paying to agree with people is a rip off and it does not inspire anyone to think differently.

CSU?

I go to CSULB and this describes my school accurately.

That's actually the complete opposite to scaling marks up. Read the thread before posting.

kek, sorry user. maybe you can transfer

What said.

You keep throwing around the word "American" as an insult, so it's making me wonder if our Ivy League schools have moved to Europe iwthout my knowledge, or if you just have some internal issues.

which school do you go to?

NC State

>NC State
>43.7% acceptance in 2016
just barely made it, lad

>majority of students majoring in meme tier shit like Visual Arts, African American studies, Early
Childcare, Sociology or Business
>STEM majors are biology, Marine Science, Pre physics, and Health Sciences
>no engineering majors, we have "Technology" majors
I didn't even realize at first, I think a lot of other students here think they're majoring in Civil Engineering of Computer Science, when it's actually Civil/Electric Engineering "technology" and Computer science "technology"

>wew

Almost. We do have a good engineering program and cool library.

> It isn't MIT

Any university of minnesota anons want to perform ritual suicide?

Fucking for real. I'm in AP in high school and that textbook only does odd numbered problems. I mean I love that it does that but when we have even problems I have no way of knowing if what I did was any good.

Sometimes they try to sell a separate book with worked out solutions

If it offers precalculus.

This isn't a troll, if your university offers it, you failed. You will go through life with a mediocre resume

Berkeley offers precalculus my dude

itt:community college brainless

i went to wisconsin so close enough.

sorry for your loss

Precalculus is a joke

I got so fed up with highschool math I just tested out of it in the 10th grade

I imagine they offer that for the humanities majors and token eskimo

Tired: Going to a low tier school
Wired: Going to a high tier school
Woke: Going to community college for an associates and transferring to a university for your BA to save thousands of dollars

How do I avoid going to a brainlet university?

go to community college that is known for its transfer program, get a high GPA, and transfer into a top university

t. someone that did that after dropping out of high school, getting a GED, and being a NEET for almost four years straight

is there a reason for this

This guy knows his shit

This film is adolesceuniversitakinographie

>Going to a school where homework accounts to some % of your grade
Yes. Teachers assign odds so you can check your work.

Thank you! I appreciate it!

>alright class, I want you to form groups of {x|x ∈ N} for your class project

if your textbook has the answers in the back, you're in a brainlet class at a brainlet university

Damn, should I transfer out then? Does this mean my 4.0 GPA is meaningless?

>going to university in the US
>not attending a superior, challenging, cosmopolitan and cultured European university

If your school in Europe doesn't have good exchange universities in the UK or US, it is a brainlet university.
>tfw university lost exchange program to Edinburgh and now only fucking LIVERPOOL is left

>letting you compose documents in anything except [math]\LaTeX[/math]
the hallmark of a meme university

>no way of knowing
Wolfram Alpha exists. Your teacher exists and it is their job to discuss the work with you. Private tutors also exist, if your parents have money.

>Professors dont teach the course with textbooks they wrote and published.
The epitome of a meme university.

Teaching out of your own textbook always struck me as excessively egotistical. I get it, if none of the other books approach the subject the way you'd like to teach it, or there simply aren't any other books, but at least collaborate with someone so it's not just your name on the cover. Get a hands-on editor, something.

>>practical work is done with people that do it for the money
What do you mean by this?

>>people don't routinely commit suicide due to stress
I hope you're memeing.

>Being unable to parse a simple English sentence
The guy is saying that university research that's driven by practical need should be done in conjunction with industry professionals.

I did this in my first chemistry exam the first semester

>his professors dont teach with the books they are currently writing

smdhfamily

What is wrong with groups of size 1?

Its so the teacher knows who the retards are.
I remember doing this once and getting in trouble for it in middle school. Fucking trigonometry.

I go to a CC at the moment and we just rush through a shitty power-point. 4 exams a year. It's up to you to study regardless of institution.

this

t. community college nig who is now at berkeley studying math

>(((teaching)))

You shouldn't expect a good teacher. Rely on the notes and the book.

>You will go through life with a mediocre resume
Transfer.

I am taking a four year bachelors or science in computer science. Is that a real CS degree or is it a "technology" degree? What does that mean btw.

>Go to Mizzou
> Only know hicks, chicago douches and affirmitive action peeps
> Only plan I have is to become a farmer because noone will ever take me seriously. Just plan on studying science independently after getting my Plant Science degree

>University prepares to have the band play at the Presidential Inauguration but cancels when Trump is elected
>University sends out email to all faculty and students announcing it will act as a sanctuary for illegal immigrants

Computer science is a real degree.
Software engineering etc is shit.

my university offers double honours in software engineering for CS students is this worth it or am i better off going with something like physics or math?

not to be confused with a computer engineering degree which normally better than a computer science degree

it is my understanding that computer engineering deals strictly on the hardware side of things.
If honestly looked into it, but it seems that there are a lot less job in computer engineering than CS.

The only dual degree worth getting for comp sci is math or EE.

>Go to brainlet University in Europe
>Study medicine so it doesn't matter
>move to US without debt and get paid once I finish
Stemlords, why didn't you go into medicine?

>Paying to agree with people is a rip off and it does not inspire anyone to think differently.

Any respectable PhD program provides tuition remissions and stipends to its students.

>I could have learned how to do x in a shorter time by using the internet and reading a book that explains x.

Can't speak for other fields, but in life science, unless you have a bachelor's in bioengineering, the job market for non-PhDs is a joke.

My University predates the United States.