"""/geo/ general"""

"""/geo/ general"""

How's it going rock lickers?

I've been going through government canyon in Texas with my dad and we've found evidence that suggests that there's pre-clovis toolmaking here.

cool stuff.

I hate this shit and I dont know about job chances/security after graduation

what year are you in, and what region of the U.S. do you live in?

in Canada, year 5 and won't be graduating this year either cuz I failed a field course and have to retake it. will be done in fall 2017.

Im from the metallographic field.
How common is to prepare micrographs in this field? How do you prepare samples like ops pic?

send out rocks to be made into thin sections. I've never done it myself

oh well

Queen's?

you an eng like me?

nah I'm in Alberta doing geophysics. I'm just hoping there are more applications to this besides oil and gas, since that is heavily fronted.

What causes the formation or structure of ooids?

There are no jobs in geology.

geology isn't a real science.

it's a glorified hobby.

now fuck off with these threads rock twat.

What makes a certain field to be considered as a real science then?

mapping bedding planes and classifying minerals in a thin section all day.

Just let it go.

This. Geologists aren't scientists.

LMAO

Thanks Doc.

I think it's more than that

I didn't think olivine had colors in such high orders

There are no jobs in geology.
>There are, I have one, and the growth rate for geology jobs until 2024 is higher than average (10%)

geology isn't a real science.
> it is. Clearly defined terminology, quantifiable, controlled conditions, reproducibility, predicatbility and testability, are all conditions make a field a legitimate science. Geology meets all these requirements including controlled conditions, and if you would like I can go into that with you.

it's a glorified hobby.
> A hobby is an activity enjoyed during one's leisure time. When hobbies provide economic well being for parties involved they become jobs, careers, fields. Markets are built around them. Geology has grown from a hobby from the days of Lyell into a scientific field, a lot like the other sciences or natural philosophies.

Probably that guy's mindset about science is all about numbers, math, calculations and shit.

>chemistry graduate program
>incoming students need to go to this event weekly where we talk to a bunch of other graduates from different departments + a senior grad student
>physics guy says he's doing experimental physics and rattles off about a bunch of stuff I don't understand
>bioengineer talks about proteins and computational wor
>I talk about transition metal chemistry and energy applications
>geologist
>"yeah, we're looking at rock slides and mudslides and seeing where they come from"

Fucking rock "science" I tell you man.

>Two students use their ultimate sperg powers to deliver poor descriptions of their projects.
"Wow, I didn't understand that. Must be scientific!"
>Geologist gives a facile explanation because he can tell you're a non-geologist.
"Fucking brainlets! Geology isn't a science."
>Geologist probably would have gone into more depth had you asked.

idk about geology but geophysics is really math and science heavy.

Fucking finally. We've been needing one of these generals. Keep it going boys!

Studying microbiolites from Storr's lake, San Salvador Island, The Bahamas right now. Excited because I'm traveling there this summer with some faculty and students.

Just waiting for our thin sections to get back right now. Paper needs to be done this semester.
>pic related me waiting

Fuck off

It's because Geologists aren't autistic, and actually know how to talk to people. I hope a mudslide wipes your fucking house away.

I have room for a minor and my current major is environmental Microbiology.

What kinds of things do you think I'll learn while getting a minor in geology I have a pretty superficial understanding of semi precious gemstones because I worked at a gemstone store for 3 years but I'd actually like to know more about rocks and minerals besides the bullshit metaphysical properties I had to learn at that job.

>Geologists aren't autistic
I mean, some of us are
t. assburgered geofag

It wouldn't hurt you to take some geochemistry classes.

>metaphysical properties
Don't even get me started. Apparently Galena is a fucking healing mineral....

It was pants on head retarded my freind. If I wasn't sick as a dog I could go on all night about all the bullshit people belive in those environments. Truly I felt bad for the people who actually enjoyed geology and had to put up with all the newage trash in that store.

But on a more serious note, I know a team made an announcement about find some unique microbes in the gypsum cases in Mexico and that shit is absolutely fascinating to me.