What does Veeky Forums think of Carl Jung? Particularly Answer to Job

What does Veeky Forums think of Carl Jung? Particularly Answer to Job.

Other urls found in this thread:

rathergood.com/moon_song/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jung is a meme.

Jung's analysis is brilliant

kys

He's a boss.

Goddamn Jung looks so swole

trash

Brilliant. He sees the Christian god as a part of western man'a psyche that has been developing over millennia.

He is sometimes called an obscurationist, and I totally get why people would say that. He's hard to pick up. He doesn't explain things in a linear fashion. He orbits ideas and describes them without directly invoking them. He is slow to paint a picture. He gives hints over several books at what he himself is thinking and trying to understand. I would describe this as a sort of natural creation.

His process is organic. His theory largelystarted as a series of fantasies that he had between 1914-1920. It's as if symbols were produced and then eventually those symbols were able to become articulated.

His work changed my life. I broke down, but I'm back now.

Care to detail your experience with Jung's theories?
Also, where should I start with him?

bit of a hack, definitely a non-entity unless you must read him to develop your own uncreative ideas. i havent read him though.

What's a good, not-expensive release of The Red Book?

Actually, where do I start with Jung anyway? Do I begin first with Freud, then go to Jung?

vague solipsistic intellectual masturbation

Interesting concepts and stuff, but ultimately not too applicable to the world at the moment.

There is no good place to start with Jung, but people usually recommend Man and His Symbols. There's an audiobook edition of it floating around on YouTube right now. Be prepared to spend a lot of time feeling lost/confused. The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious is also a decent place to start, and so is Psychological Types, which is what MBTI is based off of.

I don't recommend starting with his work on alchemy.

On a more personal note, I started to pay attention to my fantasies, dreams, and inner experience. I took my world view to its logical extreme which ended up being a sort of quasi solipsism/pantheism, but that didn't work because I was in the army at the time. I might have been able to live out my philosophy if I was alone and under less stress. I ended up having a complete mental breakdown which left me in the hospital for about a week which ended up being my own personal "dark night of the soul." Reading Jung fosters this sort of creative and organic inner development. It's not for everyone.

There's also a lot of crap tier books and lectures. Unfortunately, Jung also attracts a lot of new agey stuff.

Shitstain fantasy writer in denial. At least Tolkein had Elves and Dragons

I would recommend starting with Freud or just with some information on psychoanalysis it would definitely help but is not necessary. (Freud's Introductory lections on Psychoanalysis is a great book to start getting to know psychoanalysis at first hand)

Jung is not really a very hard writer to read, I would recommend starting with his autobiographical book - Memories, Dreams, Reflection - because his theory is (in my opinion) closely related to his personal life. It is also a very fun to read book.

There's a readers edition of the Red Book that goes for ~$25. It's not a good place to start. It's esoteric nonsense without understanding Jung's other work.

If you're trying to understand Jung, I would recommend reading Nietzsche more so than I would recommend reading Freud. He was highly influenced by him, and he also published some lectures on Thus Spake Zarathustra. Jung's work is not a continuation of Freudian ideas.

I've heard it said that Jung tried to resurrect Nietzsche's dead god.

rathergood.com/moon_song/

haha

Not as handsome as Michael Fassbender

How about Viking/Penguin's The Portable Jung. It's edited by Joseph Campbell (I'm neither for/against Campbell, but felt he'd be a good editor) and I've been eyeballing it for a while now.

Is this a good intro to Jung??

That haircut seems REALLY out of place for his time.

He looks like an educated football hooligan.

Ah yes, well done Jung, well done Jung

HOWEVER

>tfw she'll never put you in an inescapable headlock for fun

Memories, Dreams, Reflections -> Man and His Symbols -> Modern Man in Search of a Soul -> The Red Book

Wow, just realized he really looks like Hjalmar Schacht

Yes sometimes I forget everyone who wears glasses look the same too