Younger brother(14)talking about his failing math grade with parents(he made a 61)

>younger brother(14)talking about his failing math grade with parents(he made a 61)
>yelling about how he hates math and how its useless and how he'll never use algebra in the real world
>asks my father if he has actually seriously ever used the quadratic formula in the past 2 years
>he says no
>i just stay out of the argument
Who's to blame for this? The school? My brother? Why are kids not appreciative of math? And you know what, he kind of has a point. He doesn't want to go to college for STEM, he says he wants to go be a graphics designer, and he does know how to draw. Would he really benefit from knowing all the stuff they teach him? I'm going to college for a Mathematics major of course, so I appreciate the stuff I learned in school, but still. That's just me.

Oh please. School is not really about getting any life skills. It's about getting a horizontal view of a lot of topics, so you can at least have some minimal knowledge, and to help you decide what you want to do with yourself.
I don't see anyone complaining about literature even though it's "just as useless".
The point is to give you a taste of a wide subject, not to give you actual tools.

Art is mathematics.

your brother is brainlet, OP

Turns out that learning in general is good for you, especially analytical learning.

Your brother may never use the quadratic formula again and that's fine, but putting the brain power into leaning how to apply it is much better for his developing brain that not learning those things.

Agreed, but also so society doesnt completely devolve into a bunch of uncultured brainlets.

Learning math would make him a better artist really, desu senpai, if you don't have the discipline to do math, then you don't have the discipline to do art and vice versa.

The learning process for both is essentially the same, and fundamental concepts like perspective, composition, anatomy, line, form, and design and weight are a lot like arithmetic, algebra, geometry..etc., and then color theory and its applications are a whole other ball game, learning and understanding all of that is just as much work and effort as learning math.

And just like math there are those who get by on art on the bare minimum of work and understanding, there are those that just memorize formulas, and those who can't work without some sort of cheat sheet in front of them.

If he thinks he can run away from work in art like many artfags do then he's just gonna work at starbucks.

Yeah, thats right, starbucks.

When you say you want to be a mathematician and you suck you end up an accountant, when you say you want to be an artist and you suck you end up in Starbucks, simple as that.

Math isn't for everyone. But your brother sounds like a fag. Once he's done with highschool he can forget his quadratic formula but until then he better knuckle down.

Also
>14 year olds
>knowing what they want out of life

Hard to say.. People should learn of course and the whole system should be better. But in general I hate the egalitarian bullshit. I loved math and hated how slow class went because of all the brainlets who hated it but had to do it. My education ended up getting totally fucked and now there are fashion students who know more math than me. Why? Stop them at algebra and focus on those who actually like math

>Learning math would make him a better artist really
I have heard so many autistic STEM fags say this exact thing. Usually right after saying their other uniform retarded opinion
>All modern art is terrible

You people should stay as far away from art as humanly possible

Don't talk about uninformed retarded opinions and then make a blatant generalization you mong.

Public education is 30% to make your population literate and arithmeticaly proficient, 70% to keep youth busy and out from streets

Make me

Also, if your brother is artist hint him at golden ratio, fibonacci swquence and other stuff directly related to our perception of aesthetics

TELL HIM WHAT NO ONE TOLD ME. I thought maths was useless mental gymnastics in high school with no use past personal accounting, you need to let him know it's a language, that it's no different from learning English.

WHY DID NO ONE CORRECT ME ON THIS NOW I'M RETARDED

I'n Australia we have a course for drooling retards like this that only teaches them 'practical' math skills in their year 11 and 12.

Sure if they want to do anything outside of humanities at uni they're fucked but at least they can't say 'when will I ever use this outside of school'.

>he'll never use algebra in the real world
He literally picked the one thing that is universally useful.

>golden ratio

Yes, this is all going exactly according to plan.
JUST
AS
PLANNED

>graphic designer
>not being a master of geometries, symmetries, and trigonometries

lmao, biggest brainlet I've ever heard of. drop him off in the nearest incinerator and move on

sometimes you need to explain to kids that there are hoops to jump through in life, and that you as a parent don't control what hoops there are. If your brother fails math it will affect his life, even if maybe it shouldn't matter. Telling it to him this way is better than trying to pretend everyone really uses the quadratic formula

>Why are kids not appreciative of math?
Unless you're talking about über-autists or kids who have been groomed since an early age, that shouldn't be a mistery. At 14 most kids are only interested in videogames, TV shows and sports.

>inb4 but at 14 I was solving differential equations, everyone who wasn't is a brainlet
Just because you're one of the autists I mentioned it doesn't mean that everyone else is dumb.

Because the school system is dumb. How can you expect kids to excel at something that they just don't have any interest in. You're trying to force-feed them stupid shit that is only useful after 20 more years of study when they use it in their jobs. School should be flipped backwards. We should start by exposing students to all different jobs. Then they should slowly start working in that field, learning hands-on training. And slowly building their way up to small details that are needed to truly understand what is going on.

Actually he could totally use algebra as a graphic designer. If he doesn't understand algebra he is a shitty artist lmao
As pointed out, art is math

are the correct answers.

But literature is useless

I was like him as I was younger, that's why I was always shitty in school and started university last winter with 23. Humans always tend to be throw the fault to others, I'm still struggling with math but I know every failure is only my fault and I must improve more. I twill get better if he gets older.

Your brother is dumb xDDDD

This. the main school job is to increase your critical thinking and the way of thinking. or you can be a stubborn brainlet that always complains about his failing grades because he didn't bother listening in class or study a bit daily

School in many ways is just meant for keeping your brain active and widening your options. Most kids would do fuck all with their brain without school and the national IQ average would tank after a few years of it.

That's how it used to be, but as someone who has a younger brother who is a freshman atm, it's almost scary the amount that they push you to pick a career you want to do and make sure you stick to it.

He needs a mentor who will talk on his level about why math is important.