Board crossover thread

/mu/ edition
What's your favorite STEM field and what kind of music do you listen to?

Big fan of theoretical math, though I'm too early in my college education to know which subfield I like best

I listen to everything but a lot of my favorites are harsh noise/PE and doom/sludge metal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6vopR3ys8Kw
youtube.com/watch?v=3nad7SQhtno
youtube.com/watch?v=V-PM6y8OUz4
youtube.com/watch?v=MUTMw7rEsDk
youtube.com/watch?v=4Vshl11U1PQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WlootZWeRoo
youtube.com/watch?v=jtzh3rVw0P0
youtube.com/watch?v=N15QjEOjKiI
youtube.com/watch?v=dYKB6Lag-w
youtube.com/watch?v=2CYaZFydbA4
youtube.com/watch?v=r9186rZtCQM
youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s
youtube.com/watch?v=nOC7e0IG1l4
youtube.com/watch?v=H9IdRYvnFHk
youtu.be/M0d4qM7gCH8
youtube.com/watch?v=LgNTp8hjjWA
youtu.be/_jgd07Ica5s
youtube.com/watch?v=IbsQJBxICN0
youtu.be/WjpVUq7S0qY
youtube.com/watch?v=JmY08X_4Bnc
youtube.com/watch?v=VI57QHL6ge0
youtube.com/watch?v=f9O2Rjn1azc
youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=kECQ_7QoMPs&gl=SG
youtube.com/watch?v=xVxwuirUX-M
youtube.com/watch?v=M4uCRncR3_w
youtube.com/watch?v=XEKUAz_gd0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g
youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zku8hut4g
youtube.com/watch?v=VPBxxGx4nts
youtube.com/watch?v=X6LWRE0OeA4
youtube.com/watch?v=ryDOy3AosBw
youtube.com/watch?v=vGvQ6LtkPwc
youtube.com/watch?v=STMNeSYywk8
youtube.com/watch?v=rlFkSoFmhRM
youtube.com/watch?v=k204KtjZRs8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfSaDNVjXI
youtube.com/watch?v=q_qUiytLYRc&list=RDQMWE2C7qFVR9E
youtube.com/watch?v=GDflVhOpS4E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>theoretical math
>UG
>harsh noise
nice bait

compsci
and i am to smart to like music

>favourite STEM field(s)

Medicine and EE

>favorite music

Wave of any kind, house, emo, dub, math-rock and dnb.

What math rock acts do you listen to? I love math rock, but I'm not as well versed as I'd like to be

chemistry
modern hiphop, kpop, grime, djent and other "technical" metal, dnb, glitch/wonky

didnt mean to reply to that mb, but u should check out oh no! yoko

Math
Rock and Metal
specifically math/post rock and jap metal
might be getting into drone

Thanks man, will listen

I like programming language theory and electronics

Hiphop, grime, bassline, dubstep, garage, soul. Like a lot of stuff

I'm going to medical school next year because I got a bio degree, but I always like algorithm math most of all.

I like oldies like Roy Orbison, world-star-tier rap like Young Thug and some neopunk shit like Mitski.

semiconductor physics
ITA, Bluegrass,Old Time fiddle, Gypsy jazz

maths/theoretical comp sci.
edm

I listen to mostly indie and metal.
I'm interested in mathematics, neuroscience and programming.

molecular biology, immunology

dream pop, shoegaze, indie pop, electronica

>all these meme degrees
>all these meme genres

pottery

Statistics

I'm listening to a lot of flying lotus recently, great artist

youtube.com/watch?v=6vopR3ys8Kw
I did not take the Neopunk into consideration.

A good intro: youtube.com/watch?v=3nad7SQhtno

Contrapuntal electronica: youtube.com/watch?v=V-PM6y8OUz4

A good amalgamation: youtube.com/watch?v=MUTMw7rEsDk
Old time fiddle I assume you mean classic fiddler: youtube.com/watch?v=4Vshl11U1PQ

You might enjoy: youtube.com/watch?v=WlootZWeRoo

I suspect this comes under the category of something that will satisfy: youtube.com/watch?v=jtzh3rVw0P0

A desire to put a smile on your face: youtube.com/watch?v=N15QjEOjKiI

(the bio user here) noice, thanks

I like astrophysics and statistical mechanics.
I listen to lots of different types of music, but my favorite is classical (mostly 19th-early 20th century)

[Abstraction results]
Melody complexity = Increased Stimulation

Intelligence correlates to the required amount of stimulation.

Nostalgia + complexity: youtube.com/watch?v=dYKB6Lag-w

Simplified corollary: youtube.com/watch?v=2CYaZFydbA4

Genre shift: youtube.com/watch?v=r9186rZtCQM

Beethoven's original timings brings most people a realized appreciation for the man who began the romance period: youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s

I agree with your comment, but -5 points to Gryffindor for choosing a video of Valentina Lisitsa (listen to Arrau's recording).

as an aside, Arrau's version of Chopin's Nocturnes is outstanding

Anything Arrau touches is pure gold.

David Helfgott has been my performer of choice. Valentina was chosen more as a good interpreter of original pacing.

Arrau is quite the deft/soft toucher.

I have always considered the piano to be the king of instrument and a willing servant to all.

Mozart's KV 256, because "La matematica non può fallar".

Functioning adults don't listen to music.

>youtube.com/watch?v=4Vshl11U1PQ
I recognize that slide(or slip jig?) but I can't remember the name

>functioning boring people don't listen to music
fixed

also true for manchildren who only listen to vidya and anime OSTs

>Contrapuntal electronica
Like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=nOC7e0IG1l4

It is somewhat incongruous to post Bach, the god of counterpoint/contrapuntal.

In MIDI no less.

Still, I am far more a fan of Bach than I am of Mozart.

>favorite fields
EE and Astrophysics

>music
New Retro/Power metal/Chants/Jazz & Blues

Aren't I original

youtube.com/watch?v=H9IdRYvnFHk

Nice

youtu.be/M0d4qM7gCH8

Ah, that makes me recall that binarual music healing was based off some monk chant record. There is something compelling about the human voice. Does roll around in the mind.

It also reminded me of this style of singing, which I feel is comparable culturally: youtube.com/watch?v=LgNTp8hjjWA

I know what you mean, I missphrased when I say I like only chants. I love strong vocal music in general, shit like this is my favorite:
youtu.be/_jgd07Ica5s

That reminds me of that Mongolian throat singing. That stuffs neat.

Strong vocals/group/barbershop quartet styles. Vocalistic merging.

I wonder if that is a combination of the brain's preference for waveforms? A simplistic pattern can be enabled to be interesting by the inclusion of multiple/overlapping waveforms. When it collapses/rises that is the same as 'breathing' or expansion/contraction.

I think this would count also: youtube.com/watch?v=IbsQJBxICN0

Does have strong folk roots. Hm, there is a strong correlation with folk music being the most empowering form of simplicity.

Think of it like doing multiple simple formulas/equations at once rather than going more advanced. A simplistic form of bruteforcing the desired result?

I'd guess that it has something to do with evolution. I think it has something to do with the the brain recognizing another human voice. Another voice probably does a lot more for the health of the psyche than the noise of an instrument because of that. I'd wager that theres a connection between people liking vocal music and further back in our evolution when gutteral sounds played a more important role.

Systems programming and CS
youtu.be/WjpVUq7S0qY

It feels like a variation on one of the castlevania themes.

youtube.com/watch?v=JmY08X_4Bnc

>Favorite STEM field
Computer Science

>What kind of music do you listen to?
Pretty much any genre.

Now that to me is one of the more interesting points. It is the one thing that actually serves NO purpose evolutionarily, yet humans still pursue it.

No matter what country/culture/religion, you will eventually be bored and either whistle/drum out a tune to pass the time. The purpose of this does not SEEM to be conducive to much else. It doesn't stimulate/aid in any survival task I can think of whilst everything else is survival/propagation. Animals can also enjoy music (elephants dance).

The maths of music is fascinating because it is like you need to find a starting point of an irrational number and extrapolate from there, but even HOW you extrapolate is far more freebase and complicated than most mathematics.

Any genre + Computer Science: youtube.com/watch?v=VI57QHL6ge0 OR youtube.com/watch?v=f9O2Rjn1azc

>favourite STEM
Microbiology, specifically virology
>preferred music
Really broad range desu but God damn do I love some Rachmaninoff in the lab

youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=kECQ_7QoMPs&gl=SG

Helfgott is just my go to for Rach.

However I would recommend some Bach: youtube.com/watch?v=xVxwuirUX-M

Russian revisionists are people I have a lot in common with (Rimsky-Korsakov).

The hungarian dances (Danse Hongroise) are also highly recommended pieces.

>everything that is at least marginally popular is a meme

You just caught me listening to his 2nd sonata :)

>Melody complexity = Increased Stimulation
>Intelligence correlates to the required amount of stimulation.
Yeah. People try to say that every genre is equally heard by intelligent people, but that's not true at all. The smarter you are, the more used you are to listening to complex music.

My favorite STEM field is M for Mathematics as that is what I study, and I listen to many things but mostly Jpop.

Jpop is undoubtedly the superior kind of music and specifically I like songs where there are like 10 different girls singing and they make it such that whenever a girl is singing the main lyrics, others are making cute sounds in the backgroun like fuwa fuwa uguu kawaii

>It is a true IQ raiser, specially if you try to study while listening to it.
What if you can't focus while listening to something?

As an addendum, I do believe virology to be the more fascinating field of Microbiology. Transfer mechanisms, when understood, would be most beneficial. That may have something to do with my interest in 'memes' or how Veeky Forums itself is able to spread its own information whilst simultaneously self-regulate/destroy the information that is only in the middle ground.

If it is really low brow, people will pick up on it and spread it. If it is extremely complex/complicated, it will still reach higher portions of society.

I come to think of Veeky Forums as the site where the high energy allows for hyper-cycling of information. However the site is more a 'host' cell rather than having any actual desire to go out and infect others or even care if their message is received. There hasn't been any internal/concentrated effort to unify Veeky Forums as an entity so this is what entropy gets us, but the host cell is still intact and will always be.

I wonder if there is a viral comparitive that is apt.

Correct. I think people say that because they themselves aren't able to see the similarities between death metal/rap/folk/classical.

youtube.com/watch?v=M4uCRncR3_w

Go for music that doesn't have lyrics in your native language. The more proficient you are in a language the less your ability to 'filter' it out of your focus.

Songs that don't have a focus on lyrics (e.g. using vocals as an instrument and not a message delivery) you can get away with. For example: youtube.com/watch?v=XEKUAz_gd0Y

>What if you can't focus while listening to something?

Well, that is what you want to train by listening to music. What I do is very simple. I read a problem until I have really understood it, then I play the music. I sing along having fun until eventually something, like if I brain had a second line of thought, clicks and then I have a solution or an idea towards a solution. Then I write whatever I have down, read it carefully and then repeat until I have a complete solution.

If I take more than 30 minutes I turn off the music and accept I am a brainet.

Oh, I would know that song but when it came out, I dropped Mob Psycho after the first episode.

And that shit has male voices wtf. Do you think I'm gay? I'm not gay.

Removal of all male vocals: youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g

Does not satisfy the group vocal requirement.

This I believe falls short: youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zku8hut4g

If it doesn't, do let me know.

The second one does work. It's a good song, but I've seen better.

For reference, I consider this to be the holy grail of modern music:

youtube.com/watch?v=VPBxxGx4nts

My favourite STEM field is organic chemistry, which is the only non-meme field, and also happens to be the field that I'm studying.

I listen to a lot of punk and electronic. I've been on a big DiJ kick.

>Any genre + Computer Science: (...)

Both sounded pretty awful tbqh famalam.

Even instrumental music distracts me. The thing is, I like to listen to music to let myself go with it, so I can follow whatever thoughts the rythm induces in my mind.

I can understand the composite.

Have you heard of The Pillows? They are a japanese punk-ish band that are quite good.

Refine the search parameters. I could only operate on the high intelligence + entropy requirements + any genre, so I went regex -> ?

Ah, this is more of an associative condition than it is a filtering problem. In your shoes I would simply be glad that you have the capacity to narrow your focus so specifically but not filter, as that is simply an environmental point (which is under your control). Unless you feel like something is lacking? When I require all focus I listen to nothing, but when I require guided focus (emotive matching tone; anger/fury if I want to accelerate the brain to understand a problem and calm when I want to let things wash over me)

I'm a paleofag and I like classic rock, prog rock, alternative rap/hip-hop, and some orchestral stuff. Kind of a mixed bag.
Artists I like: REM, the Beatles, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Talking Heads, Cheap Trick, OK Go, the Grateful Dead, Here Come the Mummies, Digital Underground, Das Racist, Modest Mussorgsky. Also listen to Russkaja for lels.

underrated gem: youtube.com/watch?v=X6LWRE0OeA4

>Not a single post talking about BATS
It's a band which has songs about scientific topics.

I'm currently studying Biochemistry for my undergrad, digging it a lot (metabolism is beautiful) but I'm probably gonna do theoretical chemistry for my phd because I just can't get enough quantum mechanics.

I listen to mostly 80s and 90s indie rock like Sonic Youth, Unwound, Husker Du, Wipers, Drive Like Jehu, The Replacements, Archers of Loaf, etc. But I'm also big into psychedelic stuff like Animal Collective, Spacemen 3, 13th Floor Elevators, and Boredoms

That song sample reminds me quite a bit of this: youtube.com/watch?v=ryDOy3AosBw

The artist selection I admire. Makes it quite difficult to pinpoint the thread.

Exploratory.

Theoretical chemistry is fascinating. That is quite an eclectic range of music you enjoy. I wonder what the progenitor is.

Where did you find that image, OP? Tried everything, found nothing. Got more/source?

Physics, specifically aeronautics and astronautics

Vapourwave, indie rock, french pop, indie electronica, grunge and blues rock if you already didnt think I was a cunt

I like science.

My favourite band is The Red Hot Chili Peppers. It is one of the best bands ever.

>Math
>Prog rock, RIO, cabaret, glitch, hip hop

Mechanical Engineering
Metal (Sludge/Doom/Power are my favourites)

Computer science or physics.

I listen to a lot of genres but mainly dream pop, hip hop, and all kinds of vaporwave.

Electronics and math

Vaporwave bc it's easy to study to

> What's your favorite STEM field
I really like classical mechanics and learning new techniques to apply to classical mechanics
> and what kind of music do you listen to?
so I've been listening to The Wall forever, but after seeing Pink Floyd live I've been getting more into them.
My music tastes change so often, it's hard to pick one or two I like

low tier b8

>pinpoint the thread
the only real thread connecting bands I like is that most of them are weird.
and on that note, forgot to add Barenaked Ladies on there. (Everything to Everyone = underrated album)

>Probability theory
>late 90s rap
>fashwave

That's a very interesting thought user. I can see the resemblance but no comparative comes to my mind.

>tfw mongolian throat singing board stopped being mem

>What's your favorite STEM field and what kind of music do you listen to?
I'm an aerospace engineer

I've been on a 90s rock thing today
marcy playground
my life with the thrill kill cult
violent femmes
sleatre-kinney

But I listen to every, actually spent the last week listening to stuff off the last sci music thread

youtube.com/watch?v=vGvQ6LtkPwc

youtube.com/watch?v=STMNeSYywk8

youtube.com/watch?v=rlFkSoFmhRM

youtube.com/watch?v=k204KtjZRs8

Financial econ is my field, but since STEM isn't considered STEM, I'll say that probability and the intersection of computer science and game theory is probably my favorite.

I like any sort of metal besides traditional/brutal death metal (gay atmoshit like ulcerate is cool tho), trance and other uplifting electronic music, chaotic prog rock like TMV, and chaotic or cool proggy jazz like Coltrane.

Essentially, I'm laughed at on both boards.

*social science isn't considered STEM

youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfSaDNVjXI

youtube.com/watch?v=q_qUiytLYRc&list=RDQMWE2C7qFVR9E

unless Veeky Forums is talking about IQ, then its 100% legit.

OP here, I agree that social science is legitimate, but I understand the hesitancy when repeatability is not common in our experiments. IMO it's due to too many variables being present in the models, with human behavior, isolating and controlling behavior is not exactly possible.

yes reasonable poster. i was just pointing out the hypocrisy.

The end of bastion was so sad. This song always gets me:
youtube.com/watch?v=GDflVhOpS4E

Mathematics - combinatorics.

90s rave music and vapowave. I concentrate better with some noise while counting.

I like sucking dick in dark alleys I'm studying to be a pharmacist I only listen to bossa nova and trap.

Mathematicical Physics and Death Metal.

I amn't baiting, fuck. RHCP really is one of the best bands ever. John Frusciante is a top 10 all time guitarist. Flea is a top 10 all time bassist. Chad Smith is a fantastic drummer. Tony Flow is OK. Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium are all excellent albums. BSSM and Californication in particular are legendary albums. The number of good songs they have exceeds the discography of many artists.

STOP STUDYING I DEMAND MORE MUSIC!!!

>RHCP really is one of the best bands ever

Information theory and graph theory are my favorites.

For music, I like blues, stoner rock, doom/sludge metal, romantic-era chamber music, and field recordings of nature. Olhon's Sinkhole, and Bogert's Sounds of North American Frogs are top notch.

CS
I like lots of different stuff but lately I've been really into jazz and psychedelic rock
I used to go to /mu/ a lot, I still love some of the basic essentials like Radiohead and King Crimson

Flea is a top 10 bassist but John Frusciante is NOT a top 10 guitarist, not even a top 100 guitarist

They really are. They might not be as good anymore without Frusciante, but they still have 5 top-tier albums under their belt (6 if you like Navarro). And these are some big albums, ~16 songs each, all great. Listen to:

I Could Have Lied/Funky Monks/Sir Psycho Sexy (BSSM), This Velvet Glove/Quixoticelixer (Californication), Dosed/Tear (By The Way), Knock Me Down (Mother's Milk), Turn It Again/Torture Me/Wet Sand/Slow Cheetah (Stadium Arcadium). That stuff is good.

>Maths
>UG

Death Grips, Aphex twin, Radiohead, MF DOOM, Godspeed You! Black emperor, Boards of Canada, Pink Floyd. I mean anything that's good really, I like quality.

Math

Ambient