Why does Veeky Forums hate hoppy beers?

Why does Veeky Forums hate hoppy beers?

Also beer thread

Other urls found in this thread:

barstoolsports.com/boston/science-confirms-that-people-who-like-ipas-are-psychopaths/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They taste bad to me. I don't like hops at all.

A combination of reasons.
1) They're the trendy thing to like right now
2) Some people just don't like hoppy beers
3) Hoppy beers tend to age badly
4) Market saturation. For me personally I don't dislike hoppy beers, but I'm just bored of them

>Veeky Forums hate hoppy beers

That's like asking why Veeky Forums hates food.

It's just the same fast food kids who've invaded the board from /tv/ or whatever dead boards in the past couple of years. Of course Veeky Forums loves IPA's and most other popular beer styles.

Lagunitas is pretty mediocre, tho.

Veeky Forums hates everything

they're too 1-dimensional

Because autists balance out the intimidation they feel towards normies by hating on things they notice the normies specifically enjoying. It is the autists satisfaction.

>i would slap anyone irl who admitted to not liking something because it's popular (not really)
>those people don't like beer; virtually all beer has hops
>not having access to fresh beer isn't an excuse to dismiss an entire style
>just because there are lots of hop forward beers out there doesn't mean anyone is forcing you to order/purchase them; they've hardly been trendy for half a decade now

This is why I like them though. It's never a surprise, I can always be guaranteed that I'll like it, and they're usually pretty strong too. Sometimes I don't want to gamble on a new beer variety.

I bet you think all wine falls into the three categories of red wine, white wine, and... whatever that third one is, tee hee.

Head Topper, or nothing

It's a regional thing. I'm in San Diego so I'm huge into IPA's. I understand people not liking hoppy beers as I get they are an acquired taste but they sure are good. Plus at like 7%+ it's easier on the belly to drink 6 instead of a 12 pack of 3.5% swill.

Come out to California some time. It'll blow your mind.

Is that available anywhere besides the northeast?

>barstoolsports.com/boston/science-confirms-that-people-who-like-ipas-are-psychopaths/
Hmm...

They're just regular ale's, dum dum.

Ha fucking trash meme beer. The fogglebanger is wayyyyyyyyy better

I think people like hoppy beer because it reminds then of soda

>this post

it only can be bought in vermont

Hoppy is bitter and bitter is the furthest from sweet... but you knew that.

>Market saturation
this

I absolutely love GOOD ipa but since it's become so popular any and everyone tries to put out some type of unbalanced, overly hopped crap and sell it for $14 a bottle

best breweries with best ipa's
> Sweetwater
> Mammoth
> anything in Asheville

>Pliny the elder
>Pliny the younger

People line up around the block to get these

I'm a santa rosa fag and can confirm this.

>live in middle of the road norcal
>not too big of a place, not too small of a place
>no hipsters, but probably 300 rotating taps withing 20 minutes of me because people like beer
>have pliny on tap a couple times a week with dinner and don't even think twice about it

It would be pretty great were I am if I weren't surrounded by a bunch of Trump fags.

better picture

yea that shit is majestic

may be a contender with Mammoth 395 dipa for being my official favorite

> a bunch of Trump fags

stick with corona

Those are the ones who come into these amazing bars and say, "I don't even need to look at the tap list, give me a coors light/corona/etc, no glass."

It's pretty embarrassing.

>They're the trendy thing to like right now

Yeah, maybe in the fucking early 2000s hoppy beers were the trendy thing. Like all great things, it starts out as a trend and then it's here to stay. We didn't get rid of televisions or smartphones after they stopped being trendy because they're dope staples in our lives now.

>Some people just don't like hoppy beers

Loaded statement. There is a vastly wide range of inexperienced and experienced beer drinkers in the craft beer world. If you surveyed enough people, you'd find that those who are least experienced tend not to like hoppy beers and those who are experienced do, or at the very least can still appreciate them without them being their favorite style. It has everything to do with experience.

>Hoppy beers tend to age badly

Hence why beer manufacturers have put so much emphasis on freshness in recent years (date labels being a must, production/distribution working together to get their product to stores as soon as humanely possible, etc.) We can do that now with beer. I've bought IPAs from bottle shops that were delivered that day and the date code on the bottle/can will be within the week. It's an amazing time to be drinking IPAs right now.

>Market saturation. For me personally I don't dislike hoppy beers, but I'm just bored of them

Eh, to each their own.

Amen. Fucking hate hops. So many other things you can love inside beer.

Because stouts, porters and belgians exist.

> If you surveyed enough people, you'd find that those who are least experienced tend not to like hoppy beers and those who are experienced do, or at the very least can still appreciate them without them being their favorite style.

Eh, it's more like people who don't drink at all don't like hoppy beers. Neophytes love obvious loud flavors including highly hopped, highly sugared, highly alcoholic beers because it's easy to pick out the flavors and it's very different than the "pleb pisswater" that they're tripping over themselves making sure everyone knows they don't drink. People with some drinking experience still drink those kinds of beers but they recognize the value of balanced beers.

It's the same with many drinks. Neophytes go crazy over MUH LAFROOG or MUH APOTHIC because of the simple, obvious flavors. Later in life they might learn to like a Speyside or a Chenin Blanc from the Loire.

tastes like grass and literally every hipster's like "muh hops" and shame u if you dont drink ipa

Why are you consorting with hipsters in the first place?

it's the result of the age group here

mature palates are generally more diverse, I didn't drink black coffee until my 30's for instance

older people prefer bolder flavors in general, and this place skews young

>trumpfags

Everywhere is great if you don't have them sliming around. Sadly, in the south they're everywhere.

Because most IPAs are bitter hop bombs devoid of any malt flavor, pandering to the hipster alcoholic who only wants to have his palate and brain smashed with hops and alcohol. More thought is put into an ironic post-modern label than to the actual taste of the beer.
I bought a 4 pack of Bell's two hearted the other day, and while i like most other Bell's beers this beer was an abysmal, flavorless hop bomb. No way it's a world class beer. The best IPAs have a great balance between the hop bill and the malt bill (think 90 minute IPA or Sweetwater)

Beer makes me feel like shit, IPAs even more so. When I have 2 they put me to sleep and give me the WORST hangovers.

>older people prefer bolder flavors in general, and this place skews young

Then why do older people tend to prefer more "bland" beers? It seems like the young people live IPAs, sours, and beers with unique fruit notes, whereas older people like more traditional lagers.

sonoma count fag
can confirm gay ass line
blind pig is way better

>barstoolsports.com

impressive reference you've got there

>a skinhead hipster used to make me sit on a bottle of green flash every night in juvie while he shoved his cock down my throat until he came, forcing me to dine on his load
>to this day i cannot disassociate the scent of simcoe, columbus, and citra from the taste of his thick, wet loads

>dad loves hoppy beers, Lagunitas especially
>only respite is when mom has me go out and pick up a case of Blue Moon every once in a while

I don't hate them. I just need a bit of a break. The self-denying hipster contingent of my so-called-friends keeps trying to inflict them upon me.

My dear friend, I didn't say they were good reasons.

It's okay, I was just PRETENDING to be serious xD

>I'm in San Diego so I'm huge into IPA's
What is a tautology

Yeah, really. Stephen King was using the term "hop heads" to describe San Diegoans back in the 80s. This shit is not new.

Limp-wristed euros.

It is in flyover land, they think they invented craft beer in 2014, inb4 banned for wrong opinions

>Sweetwater

Their IPA is ehhh. I like their Hop Hash India Brown Ale ok.

Pic related probably my favorite IPA.

And midwest beer is absolutely abysmal. I lived new St. Louis for two years and the people ranted and raved about Shlafly like it was some cutting edge brewery changing the game with every beer they put it. Absolute garbage.

I don't hate hoppy beers. I hate the abuse of Simcoe, Cascade, Chinook, and lately Citra (although I like it better than the others). The whole pine-forest-beaten-to-death-with-key-limes-and-grapefruits flavour... it's good when it's subtle, and really really unsubtle when it's overdone.

>And midwest beer is absolutely abysmal.

Objectively incorrect. St. Louis might suck, but Cincinnati (and Ohio in general) has a wide, diverse selection of craft breweries that make incredible beer.

>muh 3 floyds
>muh surly

Never seen someone so butthurt that they don't live in North Carolina

>butthurt

I am sure North Carolina has good beer. This is not a zero sum game. Just stating that the midwest has a great craft beer scene happening.

And fuck you, three floyds is great.

>Jai Alai
My nigga. Lunch by Maine Brewing is really good, as well as Sip of Sunshine from some brewery in Vermont.

They're very bitter. Humans instinctually associate bitterness with poison

you're just making shit up on the internet

The only reason I hate IPAs is because every beer recommendation seems to be "we couldn't serve you puréed hops because it doesn't inherently contain alcohol, but here's the closest we can get" and a lot of enthusiasts/brewers like to one up each other in hops like the hot sauce guys do with spicy.

This weekend my brother and I brought our dad to a self-brewing place for his birthday. They walk you through the steps of brewing your own beer but you get to use their nice ingredients and equipment (Build-a-Beer Workshop, as my brother put it). Daddyo opted for a Czech pilsner, which wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey it was his day. In three weeks we get to go back and bottle it all up, about 15 gallons worth. If you wanna come hang out and try some, we'll have a lot on hand :)

I have never once in my life poured out a full beer in disgust.
Then I bought an IPA.

You people offend even those who survive on natty and milwaukee's best.

>the midwest has a great craft beer scene happening

The United States has a great craft beer scene happening if you haven't noticed, but stating this isn't a "zero sum game" is simply attempt to ignore the fact that any region's craft beer scene can be judged by criteria - Concentration of breweries, critical acclamation of beers or widely renowned beers, and overall popularity. That being said, the midwest might have a stronger craft beer scene than ever, but pales in comparison to what California, Vermont, Colorado, and North Carolina have been doing for decades, just to name a few. People don't make pilgrimages to Ohio for their beer. You don't find Ohio's beer in bars and bottle shops across the country. It just isn't comparable.

Going against your primal instincts is imperative to appreciate anything in fine dining. Consider all of the products of fermentation that people consume regularly. Beer, wine, cheese, kombucha, yogurt, pickled vegetables, etc. They are all essentially spoiled rotten, sometimes to the point of decay, giving off tastes and odors that you would instinctually turn your nose up to, but we have evolved beyond that as humans.

Went to the grocery store for food, came back with this

Just cracked open the DDH Sue, and it might be the best smelling pale ale I've encountered

>Not liking hops as focal point means you don't like beer because all beer contains some of that flavor

What? The midwest makes excellent beer, probably the best in the country overall. Even Northeast based websites like BA back that up. Now many of the states you listed are better than Ohio, but Ohio is barely even the midwest, and definitely not what most people are thinking when they think midwest beer

the best beer at binny's

Like I said, I'm not doubting that Ohio has seen a boom in their craft beer scene. I'm not even saying that Ohio is devoid of any reputable breweries (fat head, great lakes, hoppin frog). What I am saying is that if Ohio was killing it like numerous other states in the country, I wouldn't have a case here.

>The midwest makes excellent beer, probably the best in the country overall

Now that's just audacious. Any landlocked state can't shake a stick at the beer that any state with a coast is making right now.

I like hoppy beers but I hate the trend that's just cramming as many hops into the brewing process as physically possible. Overhopping just makes most of the beers taste the same.

Fathead head hunter is one of my favorite beers and utilizes hoppiness better than any other beer I've ever had.

Thats just dumb. The upper midwest makes better beer than any other similarly sized area. The shear breadth of quality beer from all sorts of styles is insane. Of course pretty much every part of the country has at least pretty good beer, but nowhere has so many people making such excellent beer that you can actually get easily. Pretty much the West coast (primarily the northwest but San Diego too while most of California is utter shit) lead the first wave of craft beer in the 90s, but has fallen way behind in the last decade. The northeast was late to the game and is trying to catch up to the upper midwest, New England makes some great IPA, but a lot of gimmicky waiting in line bullshit, probably ahead of the west coast at this point though. Further south like New York and the midatlantic is quite a bit behind the previously mentioned area, and as you go further south it just gets worse.
Interesting trend across the country that as you go south beer almost always gets worse with San Diego being the one real exception
Anyone arguing that the upper midwest isn't top tier at beer is just trying to flyover meme a little too hard, and the Great Lakes are hardly landlocked

The midatlantic states are making some of the best beer available today.

>Victory
>Dogfish head
>Troeggs
>Yards

If we're ranking these regions by the same criteria, you just can't put the midwest up there like you want to. When considering the midwest as a whole, the great lakes can't pull the weight of the rest of the states that aren't producing memorable beer. Not to mention the midwest is historically home to the largest domestic beer producers in the country, AB and Pabst, which numerous of your "local" breweries are selling portions of their stake to just to stay afloat. Sad!

The Midatlantic is fine, but hardly anything special

Well then LA has to count against the west coast and The entire southeast against the East coast.
How we define regions is mostly arbitrary, but if you are into drinking good beer, the upper midwest is probably the best place to be right now (though obviously there are plenty of other really good places too, not saying your preferred region is bad unless you live in like Alabama, then its probably bad)

I'm drinking Guinness Extra Stout, tastes like water. I thought that Guinness was supposed to be good.

I don't hate hoppy beers.

cigar city has some great stuff. tampa is a great place for beer drinking

Rate my setup?

No probs.

Ausfag here, why do Americans argue about which region makes the best beer so much?

We like to pretend that the fact that there's different demographics clustered throughout our clusterfuck of a country is unique to us and that every other country in the world is full of the exact same people in every region from border to border.

Couldnt agree more

Used to be a big fab. Dogfish head is my favorite ipa brewer.

On the other end new belgium mskes terrible ipa. Tastes like doing lines of pureed pine trees and lemon

As many itt have stated there are a lot of amateurish ipas on the market and many simply suck

hating all hoppy beer is ridiculous, though I agree that a lot of beers on the market are overhopped right now, even more are underhopped though (almost every industrial lager)
most people who say they hate hoppy beer probably only tried one, and started with the hoppiest too or just hate craft beer beard hipsters so much it's blinded their taste buds
an overly bitter IPA that lacks balance is still much better than a tasteless, shitty corporate lager

I drink beer for its magical property of making me shitfaced, not for its flavor. If I want flavor, I go for liquor

I'll never understand why anyone would get shitfaced on beer. drinking liters of beer at a time is always heavy on my stomach, beer has way more calories than any strong spirit too and cheap beer tends to taste particularily shit compared to i.e. cheap vodka with coke
it's hard to say you don't like the taste of beer too, since it's probably the single most varied alcoholic beverage in the world. ever tried a nice quadruppel or imperial stout?

eat my jorts libtard

I don't like how intense the flavour is. I prefer a bitter or stout. Dark ale's are my preference. Also i find that they are too gassy which hurts my tongue.

Best barrel aged stout i have had so far!

Belgian Ales>IPAs any day

>tfw hops is loaded with phytoestrogens

>tfw Victory's Hop Wallop is gone forever

Can't wait to enjoy these Avery's

Usa beer = biggest shit that i i i i drunk. Germany beer= best beer in the world. Pilz beer are great . good old becks

Because they're all just a boring competition for who can brew the most bitter beer.

I think you have that backwards

Belgian yeast IPA is the best

Do you live in California 5-10 years ago?

this was enjoyable with the weather (mid 70s not yet too humid)