He believes the universe is infinite

>He believes the universe is infinite
Do brainlets not understand that infinity is a meaningless concept and cannot exist as a real thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ycvlJ9XMd94
theorangeduck.com/page/infinity-doesnt-exist
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

well, most people don't understand that everything is finite, and that everything must be cherished before it disappears.

I think it's more of a problem with imagining with the opposite is like.

How does the border of a finite universe work? Is it just like an invisible wall in a video game?

Probably, imagine we're inside a big soap bubble that keeps getting bigger.

Please tell us about stuff beyond the observable universe and the overall geometry of the universe. If you are too disprove an infinite universe, you must know the geometry.

I don't think we can reach the end, so I don't think we'll find out.

An infinite universe cannot exist. That's my proof. The idea is absurd. If you want to imagine stupid shit like infinite copies of Earth and disembodies brains flying around go ahead, but it's fucking stupid. Nothing is infinite, nothing.

Your idea is absurd so it is wrong and that is it no need proof that's it take my word for it a cookie can not be bigger then ops huge deformed penis that is actually his Brain

>time is not infinite

Lmfao @ ur lyf

>tfw you remember when she first started posting on this shithole of a website

I wonder how her life turned out.

Infinity is a good term for brainlets for what is imeasureable. But then again, no one knows. What is and isn't possible is gets to be a real murky subject when there's no way to find out.

She is a youtube star now I think, but she does just your standard vlog pandering to kids

>he's unable to conceptualize infinity

>assumptions

How unscientific.

>Nothing is infinite, nothing.
The universe is.
Therefore your assumption that nothing can be infinite is wrong.

But if the universe isn't infinite, it must be contained inside another kind of infinite space.

/Thread
What a maroon.
Veeky Forums gets shittier every day.

It really looks like you've just been abandoned by a girl after telling her you would have been together forever

If infinite is real, then why do I not understand it? Checkmate Veeky Forums

What is the universe expanding into?
Where is the universe?

Really though is there anyway to know that there are not an infinite number of big bangs occurring right now at different points in space immensely large distances away from our observable part of the universe?

>border
why does it needs to have a border? it can be a borderless "finite" space

Go back to YouTube, Norman

>cannot exist as a real thing?
No, not as a thing. As an infinite consciousness.

No it isn't. Only brainlets think the universe is infinite

Imagine being a two dimensional being on a Yuge sphere/torus.

Now increase the dimensionality of you and the sphere/torus. This is reality.

Sorry m8, but the data says the universe is flat.

>infinity is a meaningless concept
Only brainlet here is you, faggot OP

Imagine that the universe has always existed.
If the universe has always existed, then at any point in the past, an infinite amount of time must have already passed.
In fact, at any point in time, the same amount of time must have passed as at any other point in time (i.e. an infinite amount of it).
Since the universe is a closed system, given enough time, it will reach thermodynamic equilibrium.
But if the universe has always existed, then enough time has passed such that the universe should already be in that state (i.e. an infinite amount of it).
The universe is not in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium.
Therefore the universe had a beginning.

/thread

> since the universe is a closed system

>never left earth
>making declaritive statements about the universe

Perhaps, our 3D/4D human biological brains cannot comprehend "all" of reality.

Be at peace with this user

Cut a sheet of paper into two parts, take a portion of the remaining sheet and cut it into two parts, take a portion of the remaining sheet and cut it into two parts, take a portion of the remaining sheet and cut it into two parts, take a portion of the remaining sheet and cut it into two parts, take a portion of the remaining sheet and cut it into two parts, take a portion of the remaining sheet and cut it into two parts ...

And you eventually end up with quarks. Not infinite.

end up with quark....... For now we do not have the tools to split a quark, but 70 years ago we did not have the tools to split an atom ... so who knows in 70 years? We do not have evidence that it is impossible to divide a quark

If the universe is always expanding, is it not infinite? There's a next natural successor if it is expanding, thus it must be infinite.

Ya but let's say there is some magical space border what is behind that magical space border

I don't know who is that guy, but I approve.

btw, It's not space expanding, it's us huddling in every atom and what's beyond.

What would happen if you went to the border of the universe?
Could you go beyond it? What would be there then?

True nothingness. What do you think the universe is expanding into?

Don't know, but what is nothingness? Just pitch black without any particles in it?

Good god man. The is no empty void. Even in a finite universe model. "Beyond" the universe isn't a thing unless you can step into higher dimensions.

>pure black
>a description
>somethingness = nothingness now
yeah sure

He's right though, sort of. Pure darkness isn't a 'something', it's the total absence of light.

my dick is infinite

suck it

>Pure darkness isn't a 'something'
Wrong

how so? Unless "pure darkness" implies the existance of space, or, anything really

>Unless "pure darkness" implies the existance of space
that exactly

Brainlets, all of you.

I love you

Guys we understand that one, in theory, can say "hello" for an infinite amout of time but the actual procedure that it actually happens is impossible.

>What is the universe expanding into?
nowhere

>Where is the universe?
nowhere because there is no anywhere beyond it

There is nowhere to go - its like asking what is behind a wall that you cant go behind

There is no infinity, a limit always exists in some way get over it.

Universe expanding implies that it has limits and is therefore currently finite.

I may be an physics brainlet but at least I've heard of the multiverse theory which allows for infinite existences beyond our universe.

>Universe expanding implies that it has limits
Wrong
>I may be an physics brainlet
Right

There are no expanding boundaries, only expanding horizons. There's a difference. The geometry of space is complex and you should look into it.

This 2bh

It might be meaningless to you but that is because you are a finite being.

That's wrong though. You have to measure the passage of time from one point to the next. There is no point from which an infinite amount of time has passed. You are essentially assuming what you're trying to prove by saying that there was a beginning from which an infinite amount of time passed. In reality, only a finite amount of time has passed from any point in time.

Also your argument requires a purely deterministic physics where nothing can escape the equilibrium state, but this is empirically false according to quantum physics.

>a limit always exists in some way get over it.
What does the universe expand into then?
Or is the universe just creating more room out of nothing?

no, infinite does exist. Just two examples:

Cyclical model of universe, or universes warped within extremely dense systems ie black holes (ad infinitum)

the space between two points if you divide the distances by an ever decreasing fraction (what is the space length of a string) read: Godel escher bach an eternal golden braid. also if universe were to branch out of the quantum probability space and create their own spaces ever expanding from each other (ad infinitum)

there are probably more

Stand between two mirrors. Boom; infinity.

It may be easier to construct an abstract tesseract and then compute the timecubes as its Poincare sections than to try to compute one timecube in the direct way without first considering the tesseract. We will show that the tesseract is equivalent to the ring, which is unity, even when that it is the ring at infinity why extends the complex plane onto the 2-sphere

This. Is the most important thing on the Internet now. Quickly turn your attention to "infinity"

>>Or is the universe just creating more room out of nothing?
yes

Its just getting larger - whats a molecule now could be a whole galaxy if you look at it from a much bigger scale

youtube.com/watch?v=ycvlJ9XMd94

The Universe is a 'web' of billions of galaxies, at the end there just aren't any more galaxies

No it doesn't. Read this:
theorangeduck.com/page/infinity-doesnt-exist

Yeah because there are WALLS at the end of matter. Jesus fuck lads. Are they baiting ALL the boards now??

How can something exist inside of nothing? Surely what you are saying is that the Universe is inside nothing. How can literally nothing house something?

I thought the universe was a closed system by definition. Maybe you're thinking of the observable universe?

Say that time is measured in seconds.
The number of seconds between any point in the past and the present is finite, but if there's no beginning to the universe, then for any point in the past, the number of seconds before that point is infinite, right?

Only brainlets can't comprehend the concept of infinity and apply in IRL

The main problem with this line of reasoning and the reason why my examples hold is due to an ingrained image that most people including this writer have when they think about "the" universe.

If you think about the universe as singular starting from a particular instant, time being started at that instant as well, you could infer a finite universe assuming that the passage of time with a reference frame. However if you see the universe as something that must exist because void does not, you can imagine universes coming into existence from what we colloquially refer to as nothing just by quantum necessity. These universes have no common reference frame of time and they do not have to follow the same set of physical laws given initial conditions, they would create space and time as they expand if they do expand and the hyperspace between them would be expanding outward as well, which could then give rise to new universes ad infinitum. Some would collapse in on themselves some would expand indefinitely and slow down, some would do things we haven't considered.

The writer is assuming that everything is local to one particular universe. This is the issue. Just because the conclusions of infinity seem crazy or unreal doesn't make infinity a untenable concept it just means you can't accept the conclusions. Infinite amount of scenarios are still limited within the universe given that the universe follows law set out by initial conditions, if you have an infinitely long ruler it is still going to be a ruler no matter where you go.

When you have the possibility of different initial conditions for different systems you have the infinite scenario where everything must happen an infinite amount of times.

A cyclical model (which i think is wrong) could still be infinite in duration,

A multiverse model could still be infinite, and even a universe that gradually expands but by a smaller fraction as time progresses is still infinite.

Dark energy/matter is what accounts for most of space. There is no vacuum of nothing being there. Particles decay and enter another state. Leaving a zone of matter would either be impossible or simply another dimension. Technically if it is impossible then space is infinite. If not it's a different dimension which ceases to exist when matter comes in contact with it and given that the universe keeps expanding the destruction of that universe is imminent and constantly happening if new solar systems and universes get created. Obviously since proto stars and new star formation is happening universes are replenishing and expanding black holes might just be the thing sucking up the background radiation like black matter/energy and reforming it into stuff for protostars or creating big bangs once they pop

>there is no anywhere beyond it

If there can be no further space beyond reality, then is it not practical to say that the universe is infinite? There would then be no bound for there to be "somewhere else" beyond the universe.

define: real

If something is borderless then it must be by definition infinite.

OH MY GOD IT'S GOING TO POP AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The surface of a sphere is borderless yet finite. Think in higher dimensions.

The surface of the sphere is the border, ya silly. It's a 3-dimensional border.

What? It's neither borderless nor finite.

The universe appears to be flat and simply connected. So the borderless and finite option appears to be wrong.

The 2D surface has no border. Now imagine a 3-dimensional volume on the surface of a 4D hypersphere. Now you have a borderless yet finite 3D volume.

Indeed it is measured that way. But cosmology is careful to jump to that conclusion because the scale of our observable universe could be incredibly miniscule.

That would make the universe both curved and finite, neither of which appears to be the case

The 2D surface of what? A sphere? A sphere has no 2 dimensional surface.

And the volume you're describing is not borderless. It necessarily has to have borders to be 3D and conceivable.

You seem to be describing surfaces and borders as separate things. A surface is a border. You're confusing me.

Yes, the 2D surface of a sphere. It's a 2D surface that's curved in the 3rd dimension. Our universe's 3 spatial dimensions could be curved in the 4th dimension.

>2D surface of a sphere
That's just a circle....

No. The flat outer surface. It has zero volume, only a surface area.

The universe is not infinite so that's a non starter

No the universe is the volume inside the sphere, not the surface

You have given zero reason for why the universe cant be a 3D surface of a 4D shape.

There is no 4th spacial dimension.

>An infinite universe cannot exist. That's my proof.
Nigga, that's not proof. Prove to me with hard science and hard facts that an infinite universe cannot exist. I'll wait.

>what is a tesseract

If the universe is infinite then God exists.

Something that is purely a mathematical construct and does not physically exist within reality.

If we were 2-dimensional beings I bet you'd say the same thing about the a cube/the 3rd dimension

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

> Infinite = 0
> 0 = -infinie + infinite
> We're literally nothing

just stop my man, all this plebs know shit about topology and yet they think they can hold a conversation about the shape of the universe

inability to perceive something isnt proof of it not existing

Just because you can conceptualize something doesn't mean that thing exists within reality. Where is the proof that more than 3 spacial dimensions exist other than "They could"

So you think God exists? You can't just assume things exist until proven otherwise, that's fucking retarded.

Pretty sure she's now a voice actor working for Disney