I'm 22 years old. How do I live the live the Veeky Forums lifestyle?

I'm 22 years old. How do I live the live the Veeky Forums lifestyle?

youve got to recursively spiral further and further into new magnitudes of irony until everything is just memes

see picrelated? That with the room filled with books.

Okay so it's not just me who slowly descended into a life of pure irony? I can't do anything sincerely anymore and every once in a while I'll get a wave of self awareness and worry about it before reverting back into only feeling things ironically

From what ive seen

>have rich parents
>move to brooklyn
>get up at noon
>read at coffee shops until 3
>write till 5
>shower
>drink till 3

Read. Read read read read read read read read read. Read read read. Read. Develop neuroses and incubate existential dread from your knowledge of the cruel history of mankind and temporarily sate it with the oceanic feeling of oneness you've learned to adopt from the eastern vedic literature and comparative religion you've read. Have sex with a girl every now and then, maybe even court a short romance once in a while, knowing it will inevitably end in cool detachment on your end and tears on hers. And then return to your books

>be 23
>work in a bookshop
>studying literature
>live in a shitty apartment full of books
>spend my day reading/writing
>all my money goes into books, cigarettes and alcohol
>buy just enough food to stay alive until I find the courage to kill myself

There's a lot of way to live the Veeky Forums lifestyle but that's how I do it.

last five books read? You seem like you would be well read

>Go to bars by medical schools
>date and marry female medical student
>support her through med school and residency
>become stay at home dad
>read in hammock while kids play

Sounds comfy

list your favorite books and subsequently be judged

you don't

>knowing it will inevitably end in cool detachment on your end and tears on hers.
damn lol

/Lit is really striking some chords with me tonight.

Jane Eyre
Mrs Dalloway
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein
Gulliver's travel

Moby Dick is the next book on my list

I'm french and I havent read a lot of english books, trying to fix that.

L'écume des jours is my favorite book but probably only because of nostalgia.

I also really like the following books

La peste - Albert Camus
Bruges-la-Morte - Georges Rodenbach
Cyrano de Bergerac - Edmond Rostand
Les trois mousquetaires - Alexandre Dumas
Bonheur d'occasion - Gabrielle Roy

I don't really care about being judged or about having shit taste.

you may think your life is shit, and it very may well be, but its pretty romantic in a way and I'm pretty envious of it. Try not to kill yourself

it should be obvious

you lead a life many pretentious americans would be proud of, if that's any consolation, but you probably already knew that

My life is not special, anyone can do it. You can even skip the studying part (because let's be honest, a master in french literature is not useful) and just work in a book shop (or anything else, it's just that my job let's me read while I work and I get a big discount on books).

I like being alone. I have a low sex drive, I never fap and I'm happy with have passionless sex with a woman I'll never meet again once every 6 months. I don't go out unless I need more booze or cigarettes. I only own a bed, a table, a chair and and armchair. I have 5 black t-shirts, 5 black sweaters and 5 pair of jeans. I try to keep things as simple as I can and I just buy books.

Have you published anything mon ami?

>God's dead, honey
Every fucking time.

Two of my poems were published in some random magazine last year when I won a contest. I've never actually tried to publish anything other that that.

Well that's more than I've done. I'm mid writing a novel and I'm leaning towards just self publishing on amazon when I'm finished. Even if nobody buys it at least it's accessible.

become the underground man

Spicy pasta

Female medical students are shallow as fuck. If you try to do that she will probably smell your plan from a mile away, fuck you for what you're worth and then let you rot. Those cunts are most of the time overachievers, they would never marry a lazy asshole who will only read and take care of the children.

I unironically spend a lot of time reading/writing in Starbucks and my semi-local Waterstones café. I drink nothing other than Americano/Filter Coffee, although I don't smoke (no tangible benefits) or drink (fucks with my hormones and kills my gains). On that note I should add that I'm Veeky Forumsfit/.

That's about as close to the Veeky Forums life as I get. I read a study in the Times that said women definitively consider tattooed men more attractive, so I was thinking of getting a spooky Stirner tattoo.

>I was thinking of getting a spooky Stirner tattoo.

I want you to be this stupid.

>>read in hammock while kids play
That's where you are wrong

I'm on the right pact
WEW

Kill yourself

You sound like literature personified.

Book Jesus, is that you?

How into the sex part

>maybe even court a short romance once in a while, knowing it will inevitably end in cool detachment on your end and tears on hers

Does she get hit by a train?

teach me sensei, i want to become a pretentious, dirty low-life bohème shitbag like you, seriously

Whatever happens, you should never have a gf.

>be me
>graduate with honors from Eng Lit & Philosophy aged 21
>panic about being unable to find a job
>move to New York to live with cousin
>desperately look for full-time job while working two part-time jobs and trying to write a novel
>small-time publisher accepts my novel but I sperg out and withdraw it
>find work staring at spreadsheets from 8:30am to 5:30pm
>resent it but value the security it allows me
>try and write after work
>after close to three years feel too tired and discouraged even read all that much after work
>pay around $800 per month to rent a small room from some Indian guy
>no friends, no gf
>parents notice I've become a distant and unpleasant person
>encourage me to quit and move to my hometown for a couple of months
>currently working on another novel I am very enthusiastic about
>have to decide by tomorrow whether I am going to resign and risk long-term unemployment for the sake of finishing this thing and taking some time out of work

What's your advice Veeky Forums?

Sincere replies particularly encouraged. I don't expect to make any money from the book even if it is published, but having a book that I wrote in my hands would compensate for any future miseries I would otherwise have to endure. Right now I'm just "aspiring" but I'm not aspiring hard enough.

You need social interaction and a support base. I think that it would do you good to reduce your upkeep and probably your income a little bit in order to focus on improving your writing.

I say go for it. Finish the book. At least it will give you some sense of fulfilment and you sound like you've half made up your mind to do it anyway.

good life desu but you don't need so many pairs of jeans i have worn the same pair of black jeans every day for the last 6 weeks.

as the other lads say i think you should do it and quit moving back to your hometown will give you support and interaction that it sounds like you need, keeping at a job you dislike with no network and no time to do things you enjoy sounds like you're already on route to depression and suicide break out dude good luck

A support base I agree with, though social interaction has long become a secondary consideration to me since I can post on Veeky Forums. I realize that may appear rather pathetic but it sates what social urges I experience.

I sort of have. I stupidly gave notice on my apartment last month but didn't go through with quitting my job. Now I'm facing two weeks on the street (or in a hostel) if I do quit.

Yeah it's true. I keep telling myself that it will just take more self-discipline and less pleasure in life to succeed in writing, but there comes a point where I read the biographies of writers respected and otherwise and see that few of them managed to write something worthwhile while also working a full-time (although mine is pretty much longer than full-time considering) job. And my mental state is fine for the most part while I'm actually at work, sometimes I fear that I'm becoming too tame and unambitious, which is pretty terrifying.

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

What do you think about my fear that resigning and living as planned will lead to long-term unemployment and a potential future in low-wage, low-status jobs? Is it worth it, in your opinion?

My hometown isn't necessarily a great place to be an English Lit grad with no real marketable skills.

atleant you heave pleasent parent. My are constantly bugging me about "how work in public insitution is best, you will never get better job!" and they strongly pressure me into prolonging contract, while i hate my work since i started year ago, and i am on edge of suicide, severelly depressed

What work is this?

Also, to be entirely accurate it's only my mom who is encouraging me to quit. She lives with a guy she's been dating for maybe 8 years now, they're both retired and he's ok but we're not close.

>get book
>get comfy

Done.

It doesn't really sound like the future your current job holds is in the vein of high status anyway. At least by finishing the book you might be able to put yourself on the kind of career path i imagine an english lit grad would want to be on. If worst comes to worst, although it's a bit damaging to the pride, it sounds like your parents are supportive enough to help you out (sorry if i'm being overly presumptuous there.) I wish you luck man, whatever you do.

Do something dramatic that will put you out out of your comfort zone and possibly change you as a person. Stowaway on a ship, or join the French Foreign Legion or something.

i'm homeless and spend every day reading on my laptop or walking around. I feed myself by stealing from grocery stores or breaking into my stepdad's house when he's at work.
I sleep in vacant apartments that I break into, or nap in the woods where nobody will happen to stumble into me. I carry two books with me, one is the princeton encyclopedia of poetry and the other is hart crane's collected poems, everything else I just pick off a shelf at the library and put back when the library closes because I don't have enough room in my backpack, or I pirate off bibliotik and read on this computer. I have no plans for the future

Thank you, I appreciate that.

The thing about my current job is that it's pretty easy and mostly non-demanding, though from what I gather most office jobs, or a sizeable portion at least, involve doing little more than killing time reading facebook etc and having brief period of intense hard work. And no there's no status here, though from an external perspective it may seem that way. I just struggle with confidence and feel that I lack the delusional self-belief that spurs others to risk security for the sake of pursuing their ambitions whatever the outcome. I also read The Pale King shortly after graduating and I agreed with DFW's central argument in the book, in that being a good person (to put it vaguely) involves a degree of self-sacrifice and the willingness to work hard to maintain and improve the larger social system to which you belong, because you benefit from it (and therefore owe a debt to it). However I also find in my research into well-regarded authors (particularly here in the US, though I think it's the same in Europe and Japan from what I've learned) is that artists, writers in particular, avoid this duty as best they might in order to produce their work. I do believe that art, literature in particular, involves a certain degree of narcissism on the part of the author, if only as a means to stubbornly remain true to his ideals and vision. But it's difficult to foster that much self-regard, especially considering the nature of the publishing industry and the apparent declining role of the writer in society (and their declining amount of earnings). It definitely feels very childish to want to spend all of my time exactly how I want to, considering I have not renounced society and don't live in the wilderness where such a claim on my independence would be justifiable. Indecision really is a mark of the coward I fear, and my choices appear either to be 1) quit now and write as hard as I can for a few months, 2) remain in employment and find a less time-consuming job, 3) keep working this job, continue to earn an annual raise, until I can afford to buy a house and become a so-called gentleman writer and work part-time to pay off my remaining mortage and pay utilities etc. It's by no means an easy decision, especially for someone like myself who possesses no real socially-useful skills beyond diligence and the willingness to work hard.

My life goal now is to have a life like yours.

>Also, 20
>English teacher in Brazil
>Getting a major in philosophy

You are my inspiration now ty

Sometimes you hear, fifth-hand,
As epitaph:
He chucked up everything
And just cleared off,
And always the voice will sound
Certain you approve
This audacious, purifying,
Elemental move.

And they are right, I think.
We all hate home
And having to be there:
I detest my room,
It's specially-chosen junk,
The good books, the good bed,
And my life, in perfect order:
So to hear it said

He walked out on the whole crowd
Leaves me flushed and stirred,
Like Then she undid her dress
Or Take that you ****;
Surely I can, if he did?
And that helps me to stay
Sober and industrious.
But I'd go today,

Yes, swagger the nut-strewn roads,
Crouch in the fo'c'sle
Stubbly with goodness, if
It weren't so artificial,
Such a deliberate step backwards
To create an object:
Books; china; a life
Reprehensibly perfect.

I will live a good life at your expense.

sai daqui, macaco.

Yes art by nature is self-indulgent, in fact once it ceases to be so then it's no longer art, it's just entertainment, art relies on that personal element and there's nothing wrong with that. Are you writing the book for mainly personal satisfaction or for career purposes? (ie writing with the sole aim of getting published.) There's nothing wrong with either of those things and both can give back to society in their respective ways, though i have a feeling it's the former. Taking a few months off work isn't utterly self-absorbed childishness- you have your entire life to give back to society and working an office job isn't the only way of doing that, hell the book is as well. At least in all three of your options you still plan to pursue your writing in some manner so take comfort in that i guess. I'd either go with 1st or 3rd though 1st option would be more satisfying in terms of immediate progress (despite the perceived lack of security.) Also whatever you do get some friends- it'll help with your confidence- easier said than done i know but as was mentioned before a support base is really necessary and will also help with your becoming distant/unpleasant.

No
I hook up with girls I meet at my university. I just ask them if they want to come to my place and they say yes.

Just stop caring and read more.

I don't own a washing machine and I hate going to the Laundromat.

Nothing inspirational about me.

Fellow Brazilian here, how are our philosophy courses?

like everything else in Brazil, absolutely shit.

Books i have read:

Rangers apprentice 1-6 (good)
Night (good)
Romeo and Juliet (good)
Midsummer night's dream (good)
Othello (good)
the Hobbit (good)
To kill a Mockingbird (ok)
All volumes of Berserk (amazing)
The Giver (bad)
The Outsiders (ok)
Macbeth (good)
Great Gatsby (great)
Huck Finn (ok)
Lord of the flies (bad)
House on Mango Street (trash)

Please bully me

get rid of everything.
do nothing.
and wait.

>Yes. I’ll tell you, apropos of that, this period of deep insomnia came to an end in France, and you know how? By the bicycle. It’s rather curious, this phenomenon, I was a bit like someone suffering hallucinations, I’d been in Paris a few months, and one day on the boulevard St. Michel someone offered to sell me a bicycle. It was a racing bicycle, not expensive at all. I said yes and bought it, which for me was a stroke of providence, unheard of luck. I went all over France with that bicycle, I’d be gone for months. Because I had come here on a grant for several years from the French government to do a thesis, from 1937 until the war, till 1940. It was for me to do a thesis in philosophy . . . Which I certainly did not! I never went to the Sorbonne, I lied. But with that I’d cover kilometers and kilometers, for months, I went all through the Pyrenees. I’d do a hundred kilometers a day. And it’s this physical effort that allowed me to sleep. I remember, France was very cheap before the war, I’d come into a village, I’d eat whatever I wanted, drink a bottle of wine, and then I’d go sleep in the fields. It was a very natural life, very healthy. Physical exercise morning till night. When you do a hundred kilometers a day, there’s no way you’re not going to sleep, it’s out of the question. So, it wasn’t due to medicine. Because I had, unfortunately for me, seen a lot of doctors in Romania and in France, and they all gave me medications that messed up my stomach and everything, that was the big danger, and even with sleeping pills I only managed to sleep two or three hours at most. And then I’d have a headache all day, it was horrible. I was poisoned from sleeping pills, I don’t take them anymore. And so, this providential bicycle saved me.

Not that bad you know. Like, I study at a PUC and we focus at the major works of the most important philosophers. But at UNICAMP or USP the pick a certain author and go to the deepest of it until de end of the course.
It depends on what you want.

Para de desvalorizar seu país, cara.

Is reading non-fiction history lit?

Sorry, didn't anticipate a reply.

I am writing to get published, but that isn't my sole aim. When I was 21 / 22 I had a publishing house (albeit an indy one, though with a history of serving as the platform from which respected authors became better known) express their desire to take on the novel I claimed to have completed (I sent them around 75% of a yet-unfinished novel). But I withdrew it because I didn't want to represent myself with something that was in retrospect pretty funny but also pretty cute and naive. I have a similar ambition to Kurt Cobain in a sense, who appreciated the rebellious attitude of the metal bands in Olympia (Wipers etc I believe) but did not want the metal demographic to hear his music. If there's compromise involved here it isn't one which involves undermining what principles I have. Though there is of course an element of counting way too many chickens here before I've seen how many eggs there are to potentially hatch. What I know also is that JG Ballard, Jack London, Upton Sinclair and others wrote hack stuff just to get published and earn money, though that isn't even an option as far as I know considering the decline of the magazine industry and so on. And thanks again for the reply. As for friends, it would just be a distraction at this moment I feel. Not that I would later get some for the sake of using them for career purposes, only that the form of communication I value most is frank and sincere (as on Veeky Forums, for better or worse). I suppose the lack of genuine intimacy is a problem psychologically speaking but my natural default is to be alone, so I'm not too worried about friendship, though of course a declining physical appearance and the shame of living with your parents as an adult are likely to make romantic longing and resultant despair at being unable to find a mate more intense. But it's not as if many girls in NY are looking to date a mute, withdrawn guy working a job he dislikes with no social life or apparent sense of humor.

yes but only if it's not the only thing you read

want only the metal demographic*

Não sou do Brasil, pá.

>the most important philosophers

All of them, from the Greeks to the moderns? I'm a philosophy dilettante so I'm curious how it works, I don't want to bother you.

I'm 20, I resell books for a living and sometimes do odd jobs for extra cash or good stories. I live at home now, but I was away from 17 until a couple of months ago. Had a couple of foreign girlfriends. I know editors at the most important publishing houses, and have friends in various institutions. I ran a literature non-profit with a friend when I was 18, now I'm working on an online magazine and some real life events with another friend. I have been published in magazines, and won a small prize. As of yet I still have to get a high school diploma, left school about 5 years ago.

But fuck all of that. Doesn't what you do or where you are from. All you have to is work, that read is write read write read write...

Don't worry.
And yes, each semester we study a period of time in philosophy and their authors.

>Greek
>Medieval
>Modern
>Contemporary

>I'm a normie who works in the book industry

fuck off you're not Veeky Forums, kys

I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

Oh and we have classes like aristotelic/simbolic logic and Greek/Latin as well

It's pretty fun. But I do recommend that you seek it only if you want to be a teacher or writer, otherwise you be very miserable.

>otherwise you be very miserable.

As in no money?

Thank you fellow eurobro but I think that the girls in my class (engineering) aren't as open and friendly as the ones in your uni
>*tips fedora*

Yep. But if you consider that we live in Brazil, fuck money amirite?

Ah that's fine, I thought you mean miserable as in the course being too tiresome, lack of money is to be expected.

I'm 23 years old. Kill yourself.

They wouldn't hire anyone without a masters in the industry.
I resell second hand books on markets and online.

I doubt very much that you make a living selling second-hand books. You aren't William Gibson.

Is this from rushmore or American psycho

>He doesn't live in a barrel outside of the local library
lol why even live

No u

Why is that?

>implying I didnt post from experience

>23

Kys, faggot.

>tfw i have a chronic illness so literally have to work a dead end job just to get enough money for my medication

how do i solve it Veeky Forums?

Eat better
Sleep better
Get at least 30min of exercise every day

This advice solves like 75% of everyday problems, both mental and physical

Exercise is a meme. You think Houellebecq ever exercised? No way. James Dean claims to have never once entered a gym or worked out and he one of the top adult performers in the world.

>be philosophy major
>22, set to graduate next year
>your post is my nightmare personified

guess I should just end it now famlmao

either that or I'm stuck being the night manager of an Arby's in the "urban youths" part of town

>You think Houellebecq ever exercised?

He looks like he is about to die any moment, so no.

>exercise is a meme
sour grapes

Too draining.

Get a copy of Jerusalem and/or Bottom's Dream and wank furiously

Yeah but I'm a type one diabetic.

But having a gf and constant sex is quite Veeky Forums.

The modern day lit lifestyle:

Live at home
Watch way too much YouTube, some may be watching Anime instead
Read, but not nearly enough as you should be
Lurk and post on Veeky Forums instead of actually reading
Find books that interest you but never get around to reading them,
bounce around from book to book

Hi, I am Asian. What is the best approach to fucking your women, Veeky Forums?

stay single

don't even know who you're replying to but stay single

on the off chance you meet a woman who's not a complete moron they will be a constant drain on you emotionally and financially

imagine an activity that you love, now imagine that there is a woman nagging at you and vying for your attention every time you do it

and then imagine that after you give her or attention or finish said activity you want some wind down time, maybe some quiet

then she will nag at you some more

you will never discuss your niche hobbies at length with a woman, but you might delude yourself into staying with this awful person because pussy is intoxicating

they are emotional to the point that thinking cannot be an explored avenue of expression -- too many hormones, I'm not sure

women are good for getting your dick wet, but you will quickly learn that they are not are equals in any sense of the word

hire prostitutes man it's not worth it