Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums.

So i'm currently depressed and following a therapy. My therapist said cooking could be a nice hobby since i suffer from food disorders and when i feel bad i skip eating entirely.

It wasn't a bad idea on the paper so i bought a new set of pans because my old ones were shit, flimsy, disparate, the kind of pans you find in the kitchen section of cheap malls and were probably putting a ton of carcinogens in my food each time i used them.

I went to a local shop, well known in the "cooking" circles of my city, and asked advices to the shop owner, which looked like Gandalf.

I ended up buying these. It was quite costly but i don't mind. Did Gandalf tricked me ?

Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4
cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9588-how-to-season-a-carbon-steel-pan
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I mean, they're not bad pans by any means but he sure took advantage of you and pressed you into buying the most expensive shit in stock.

You only need one out of those 3 desu. I'd recommend keeping the carbon steel one and returning the other two. Or keep the carbon steel one for everything except really acidic stuff like tomato or wine sauces, and buy a cheap stainless pan for those.

kill yourself you loser

I did asked for some grandma lifetime type pans, though. I insisted on the fact that i'm looking for some stability and durability (in my life too, but that doesn't concern them).

Wooden handle seems silly on cast iron. I mean, when you season it it'd be burnt right? Keep the carbon steel one, go buy a sauce pan and a stock pot instead of the other 2

Not OP but not really, no. The creuset one is amazing for specific food, and EVERYONE should have a non-stick for specific shit, too. OP got a well rounded set.

Cast iron will last a lifetime if you take care of it, but a wooden handle isn't so good imo.

Those are the three important types of pans. Not everyone needs all of them, eh, but you still did good.

A well seasoned carbon steel pan is way more nonstick than any nonstick pan

Nonstick, stick and...?

Keep the Aluminum Pro and return the other two. When you learn how to cook you can decide if you want all the high mt. of the other two pans.

>Seasoning enameled cast iron
You're getting fused by the thread OP.

That cast iron was probably overpriced since its a Le Creuset. You can get a Lodge pan for like $15 that will last forever, even if you're a dumbass and abuse it.

>comparing chinese shit to french cookware

Do you honestly belive that these three pans will make your life better?

Cooking aggravated my issues with eating for a long time. I've just recently been starting to reap some serious benefits because I have someone close to share the food with.
stay safe and good luck OP

JESUS FUCK WHAT WRONG WITH YOUR WALL?!

You'll need to get that checked, user.

Well, you definitely got what you asked for. The LeCreuset might be slightly redundant, since all searing can be done in the DeBuyer and all acidic food and simmering in the non-stick, but otherwise very nice pans all around. Careful when you deglaze stuff in the LeCreuset, enamel generally doesn't take too kindly to brutal temperature shocks.

Thanks lads. I will keep the three pans and only use the aluminium pro for now. I'm sure they will prove themselves useful later on.

In the meantime the Le Creuset looks great in my kitchen so here's that.

you're not depressed if you can have a good enough job that allows you to have a therapist and spend hundreds of dollars on pans

Its entirely enameled. Inside and out.

And the handle is removable.

I have that pan. The Le Creuset.

Heavy fucker, isn't it?

What kind of simple minded logic is that.

Indeed. Man you could bash someone to death with it without breaking a sweat. That wooden handle also looks great.

Wait, why would you guys advice him to return the non-stick one ?

Non-stick is pretty much mandatory for eggs or good fish.

Seasoned carbon steel is nonstick enough to delicately cook fish and eggs.

>Its entirely enameled
Doesn't that mostly defeat the purpose?

If your only purpose is adding iron to food, yes, it does.

>seasoned

Yes, which is a pretty steep implication on it's own. Proper seasoning comes from usage and usage.

If he's not stupid he gonna season is brand new pan like anyone else, with some oil and yadda yadda, but that alone (the standard new pan seasoning) will never be enough to get the non-stick properties of an actual non-stick pan.

Therefore getting a non-stick pan for a starter was a good decision.

>the standard new pan seasoning) will never be enough to get the non-stick properties of an actual non-stick pan
False premise.

seems like you have a pretty good life. i'd be much happier in your shoes

It's inverse in benefits.

Non stick will be peak brand new and gradually lose that property with the years. Needs care when cooking but not much maintenance. It can last years before you need a new one.

Carbon steel needs to be used for a while before it compares to a non stick but gets better and better with very careful maintenance and cooking with it doesn't require the same care and light touch. It can outlive you.

I actually just bought a matfer bourgeat carbon steel pan a week ago. The directions told me to cook potato peels with a shit ton of oil and salt to season it. After that i fryed an egg to test it and it was sliding around like a hockey puck.

Depression is internal, not external. It means your brain chemistry is all fucked up. You're underrestimating the dicersity of neurology. It's like saying you can't have schizophrenia if you have a nice car

Indeed. That's the pan dilemma.

Debatable.

I remain unconvinced.

most people with depression and schizophrenia cant maintain a normal life

>buying 3 pans that all have the same function
You should consider killing yourself, my man

it takes one day to season a carbon steel pan.
follow this for best results.

youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4

>I remain unconvinced.

Ask if he used oil or butter to cook it.

Modern non stick doesn't need either, though i use a bit of butter for taste.

You're wrong

>Le Creuset
>de Buyer
Shit OP..
I mean yeah they're good, but you got taken for a ride. The salesman put you into a S-Class Mercedes Benz when all you needed was a Honda Civic.

The potato skin seasoning method is legit, and recommended by CI:
cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9588-how-to-season-a-carbon-steel-pan

I didn't use either just cracked an egg on it

If money isn't a problem for him, why shouldn't he get the car that has seat warmers?

>I mean yeah they're good, but you got taken for a ride. The salesman put you into a S-Class Mercedes Benz when all you needed was a Honda Civic.

Yeah i see where you're doing. I don't mind though, these are supposed to last a lifetime.

*going

List 3 reasons why a La Creuset $100 cast iron pan is in any way worth it.

>just in case he has one or two....

Made in France, by french employees, with actual decent conditions. This is rare enough to be respected and most importantly supported. I support local work. When i have the choice to NOT support mondialisation and chinkland cheaping out, i take that it.

He didn't trick you because you approached a man with money to spend and zero knowledge of what you were buying, you had everything in your power to buy something much cheaper.

They aren't bad purchases but you bought a cast iron pan that is not general use without the knowledge of when to use it, and the other two pans are for high end restaurant use when as a home cook you would be infinitely more prepared for introductory cooking by buying a nonstick pan and a copper core aluminium pan.

Making decisions without thinking about them will not cure your depression, but being upset you spent probably too much money isn't worth it either, I'd return two of those pans and instead buy a wok and large pot for stewing

>Made in France, by french employee
Yeah, I'm not into the idea of having my cookware being touched by niggers, thanks

still doesn't cook gyoza without them sticking

>French factories are staffed by sophisticated wine drinking Frenchmen who take their craft as seriously as they take their literature and art

Bud, you even seen the inside of a factory literally anywhere in the world? The French manufacturing class is the same buncha grimy immigrants it is in any country.

This is solid advice. Many other people are also pointing out that you bought three of the same thing. I'd keep the carbon steel and non stick and return the cast iron... Get a 12 dollar lodge instead. Then use the return money to buy a pot and other things you need beside pans.

Cast iron is kind of a meme. Not bad to fall for for 12 - 20 bucks... But at 100 with a wood handle.. That's fucking epic meme fail right there.

I'm going to chime in on all angles now.

I have two twelve inch, enameled cast iron pans. Yes. It IS redundant.

One is a cuisinart I got for $30 on sale. It is a regular shaped pan enameled inside and out.

I have that Le Creuset as well. It is beautiful. The handle remains cool and it's big enough to use with two hands since twelve inchers are heavy. It cost me $85 in sale. I can't justify it and it hasn't really replaced the other.

My question is, you like them? Does it make you feel good to see them?

Your therapist basically asked you to spend on yourself. Seems you're willing to get yourself good stuff.

Lodge is great stuff. Don't know if they still have all sorts of interesting shapes, but they used to make muffin/cornbread cast-iron pans that were really cute.

The only way you can break one is to throw it into an industrial automobile shredder.

I had a great job as a software engineer for years. Was still depressed. Eventually killed my career.

Note that guy's response, OP. You'll want to get a high-temperature silicone-coated spatula to keep the pan from getting scratched, BTW.

Depends on how severe their problem is.

Next purchase should be a good endgrain cutting board. Bamboo boards dull your knives and when they begin to wear they start shedding slivers of bamboo into your food. What knife do you use?

The carbon steel is the bomb, and with that skillet, you really don't need the cast iron. The non-stick is alright, too.

The cast iron is a great pan, but it really can't do anything you can't do already with the carbon steel pan, and with that wooden handle, you can't just toss it in the oven without wrapping the shit out of the handle.

t. cookwares salesman

I'm glad you're getting into cooking OP, it helped me out when I was feeling down a couple of years ago. The process of making something good and then eating it is very rewarding and productive, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. When you're better at cooking be sure to invite some friends to have lunch/dinner with you.

>not travelling to the abandoned mines in Hallstatt to gather your ore which you then melt with olive branches gathered on the Italian coast kindled with concentrated sunlight after which you hammer it into shape with a rock from the top of the highest mountain in the alps while you recite Ovid's metamorphosis until Jupiter seasons the pan with lightning
You honestly shouldn't bother cooking if you're not willing to put in the effort, famalamvs

Neyt you're going to tell me that there are no enchantments on those pans

>going through all this effort
>not just sliding into a parallel reality where you're a cookware maestro and you've already made all the cookware
Doing things the hard way doesn't make you smarter, /g/

A wise man once said "I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it."

>risking being stuck between dimensions for cookware
I at worst get a nice trip, you might get raped by Eldritch abomination

Thanks man.

Teflon is one of the slickest things ever invented. If anything is sticking you've scratched it and you're picking up cancer flakes