Post knives

Post knives

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cWU_qTp3DLM
svenska-forpackningsforeningen.se/assets/svenska_forpackningsforeningen/archive/woodfood/SurvivalofbacteriaonwoodandplasticparticlesDependenceonwoodspeciesandenvironmentalcondition.pdf
faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm
commonsensehome.com/wooden-cutting-boards/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How can I tell if a local knife is a meme? Theres no international reliable interviews. I don't trust my countrymen to know any better. But theres a good sale on it and my chefs knife is trash

I'd recommend not buying high end boutique memes if you don't know anything about them. Order something reputable online

But it's like 50$. I'm not gonna find something reputable thats cheaper (where I live). But noted, I'll probably lay off then

what is the purpose of all those megapixels when the images turn out like that. honestly.

>megapixels

Do homecooks actually need paring knives? What function do they actually serve except for elaborate decoration?

I use mine constantly to clean out peppers etc

The home cook absolutely needs at a minimum a 7 or 8 inch chef knife and a paring knife

I do this fine with my chefs knife though? In fact I've seen actual line cooks do peppers with big knives

Then own one knife dude

I'm not your dad

obligatory for chopping herbs

Some of the better knives of my collection. I have had a coupe of them professionally thinned and polished by master bladesmith Jürgen Schanz, a huge leap in performance and surprisingly cheap at about 15€ per knife, without shipping.

Well, ol' bessy might not be the prettiest. But she can cut through a tin can and still make julienne fries.

What are you standard recs in different price ranges? I need a new one

There is no such thing as a "local" knife, unless ou buy from a real custommaker. Your knife was most likely designed by some dude (Dutch ..?) and then mass fabricated in China.

Two important things to look for in a kitchenknife are first: the profile - it shouldn't have any "hollow", that is concave spots, in the profile of the edge. Espcecially on the comparatively straight part of the edge nearer the handle. That is an absolute no-go. Put the blade on a level wooden surface and rock it gently back and forth, if you hear a tock and it jars your hand it's trash. Second most important thing is the thinness of the blade - look at the choil of the knife for that, i.e. the lower part of the blade that ends right before the handle.

For an affordable knife I'd recommend the IKEA 365+ 8'' knife or the Wüsthof SilverPoint. For better quality knife I'd take a Wüsthof Classic 8'' or 9'', or a Messermeister from the Meridian Elite or Oliva series in the same size.

*Teleports behind you*

Nothing personal kid..

*knife sounds*

No. Fuck off. Kitchen knives over $20 are a complete meme. Just get a $20 kitchen supply store knife and a high speed belt sander to sharpen them and you are good to go.

>the chef knife in OP retails for 19.99

>Wasting this much money on literal wallhangers
>Paying someone else to take a belt ginder to your knives
Should have just bought a Dexter and a Chef's Choice, now with extra Trizor

are these stuck in some kind of sand or foam or something?

That stuff in the can is like plastic spaghetti. Pretty unhyginic, impossible to clean, and when you stick in a really sharp blade they catch on the edge.

Oh wow. I've been looking for that one for a while. Thanks!

I just like collecting things. Well, mostly it's a fad that wears off again after a few months. But so what, kitchen knives of that quality will easily outlast me.

And the belt grinder was for a professional thinning job, it is pretty much impossible to do that yourself in top notch quality without a pro grade belt sander and lots of experience. I would have loved to do that myself (I have, in fact, thinned a few of my cheapest kitchen knives on my hobbygrade belt sander,more or less succcessfully) but there is no way I'm going to invest the time and money and practice to get good enough to do that safely with really nice knives.

autism

>I'm made of damascus steel

>cartridge-fill fountain pens

>He puts wet dirty knives in any knife block ever

I've put this in the dishwasher just fine btw

Oh, you occasionally clean your cylindrical petri dish? That's nice.

>implying a wood block is in any way better
>whining about the way most people store their knives

>Using what clueless normies do as a justification
>For anything
>Ever
What did he mean by this?

I will play your game
What is a better way to store knives, that allows for quick convenient access, for a home chef? Knife roll is not an acceptable answer

I'm in the process of repairing some edges for a coworker this weekend. Didn't think to take a picture before I did anything. They were in pretty bad shape with deep nicks and grime, even some rust spots that I polished away while cleaning them up. Took about a half hour just to clean them. At some point someone took the Chicago Cutlery to a very coarse belt grinder and really messed up the edge. There's still a small part of a nick left at the heel of the Wusthof chef, and a couple on the slicer, as well as some full on dents in the edge shoulders.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to grind them down even more to make a more perfect edge (and a decent tip as well as get rid of the rest of the deep scoring on the Chicago), but I've already ground them down a lot.

Most recent knife purchase

Is that the western deba?

>"Damascus" steel

They should have just bought a Chef'sChoice™ now with more Trivox, then he wouldn't have had these issues! Actually, you should be using one to fix them.

Buy Chef'sChoice™ now with more Trivox.

What's the problem? It clearly is.

it looks like an etching to me

Yup, it's good stuff.

>Calling pattern welded steel "Damascus"
What did he mean by this?

>being an anime reaction face faggot

How fat was he?

Who let Reddit out?

>mfw I started a meme

That's what everyone means by damascus steel now

Anime reaction people look exactly as their images, faggot

Damascus is a European technique.
The nips never really figured it out.
I used to have a shotgun with Damascus steel barrels, it was beautiful.

What do you mean? The Chef'sChoice™ now with more Trivox is the only sensible choice for actually getting your knives sharp. It sure as hell works better than haphazardly scraping knives against artificial rocks until you've scratched up their finishes enough.

When the bevel gets that wide (with a normal angle) it is a sign the knife is in desperate need of some serious thinning.

traditional way of making Damascus steel has been lost for centuries and scientists have been unable to replicate it (just like Greek Fire), as such any modern "Damascus" steel is just normal steel etched to make it look like it's legit. Just sayin'.

Pattern welded knives are a meme
It's not. Damascus was made form wootz, a crucible steel. That's a pattern welded blade created by layering dissimilar types of steel and then using acid to reveal it.

Faggots like to call it damascus even though the method is completely different because the results look similar and they can bilk morons.

lol

There's a difference between a Damascus style etching (just a surface treatment to put a design on the metal), pattern welding, and a cladding of pattern welded material (best case scenario that is what the knife in question is, but I highly doubt it).

>traditional way of making Damascus steel has been lost for centuries
Yes everyone knows this. The people marketing blades as damascus even expect people to know that they didn't rediscover a lost steel, that's just what damascus steel has come to mean now, pattern welded.
Modern steel is almost certainly better anyways

Like I give a shit where or how the ink is stored. I want a nice nib, some weight, good balance and workmanship.

The bevel is wide on the Chicago cutlery because I went very shallow on my grind angle to take out more of the scoring from the hack job that someone had done to it.

>like I give a shit how pens work, I just want something with impressive ad copy written by the same guy who wrote the ad copy for some monster beats headphones
FTFY

What you call a pen is really just a cartridge holder

the king 1000/6000 sharpening stone is kind of expensive. can i get by with just a 1000 grit stone?

If you have to ask, you do not need a high grit stone

Even 1000 might be a bit high for you at this point in time

Note that this basically goes opposite from what most knife sharpening autists will tell you, because they think you'll "damage the knife" less if your stone is completely useless at removing metal

>Using fake rocks to scratch up your knives and get them "shaving sharp" until the burr falls off.

Just buy a Chef'sChoice™ now with more Trivox. It will actually get your knives sharp, not just fuck them up in an autistic ritual.

Kek did you make that yourself

I know this is just someone funposting, but I'd really like to believe I triggered the phone book stabbing autist so hard that he's now spamming Chef's Choice and has renounced his hobby once and for all

I mean I used some 500 grit sandpaper on a cheap knife with a bunch of burrs and it's pretty sharp now but it feels a little rough. There are cheap stones that are $15 and you can get 1000/3000 grits. I'm wondering if that will help. I cut a lot if fruits and vegetables for work.

King is a Japanese stone, so that was a JIS grit. Sandpaper, unless you are living in Japan, is not listed in JIS

Anyway 1000 is plenty for practical purposes, unless you have a fairly hard knife and have pretty good sharpening proficiency, 3k is overkill. You said cheap knife, so, 3k is definitely overkill.

I have a solution to your issue but it comes at a price.
Do we have a deal?

What will really help is to stop wasting your time with m-muh fr-freehanding autism and just invest in the far superior Chef'sChoice™ now with more Trivox.

>being pedantic about something you have never done, will never do, and likely will never own
neck yourself weeb trash

Not the guy you're talking to, but I live in a little Manhattan apartment and I put my knives on a strip. Even when I lived in a place with counter space I still preferred putting them on the wall.

Won't that fuck up the hard disc?

Not that guy, but it's an old people joke, back in the day magnetic storage was a thing, we didn't have this newfangled flash memory.
t. the 10,000 year old geezer arguing about the newfangled craft beer in the other thread

No, I know that magnets fuck up HDDs, I just didn't get the tangent about knives.

From the sounds of it, you are looking to buy your first sharpening stone. For a beginner learning how to freehand sharpen, I would avoid going with waterstones right away as they require a bit of an investment of time and money. They require regular flattening using, at minimum, a glass plate and loose silicon carbide grit, and trying to get a nice crisp, sharp apex straight off a waterstone can be a bit challenging for a beginner.

I think it would be a better idea to get a Norton India IB8 combination coarse/fine oilstone, some mineral oil, and to use the fine side (about 320 grit) to practice with on your cheap knife until you can reliably get it sharp enough to easily shave arm hair and slice newsprint. This type of stone is much cheaper and easier for a beginner to learn on and get results on in a timely fashion. It's also cheap.

This is a good tutorial on burr based sharpening, a good approach for beginners who are learning to freehand:

youtube.com/watch?v=cWU_qTp3DLM

If you decide you want try out the approach shown in that tutorial and run into any difficulties, feel free to post any questions or issues you have in these threads on Veeky Forums or comment/PM on YouTube and I will do whatever I can to help.

I use a spoon to core and clean peppers. Works really well.

you do know those ones are bad for the blades right?

this is fine, provided no kids or drunk people are in your apartment

wut the fuck

could you imagine getting murdered with one of these?

Those look like weapons for generic anime characters.

Lv 8 quest reward for rogues.

Here are me knifes

This triggers me because now I want a knife where the blade extends down past the knuckles without some completely useless part of the handle interrupting it.

This picture is worse than anything on /k/, and that's saying alot...

Is it normal for a saya to scratch the cladding steel on a Japanese knife?

This is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen on this board.

That was my first thought.

>year of our lord
>hard disks
>not SSD's
it's like you _want_ your knives to get rusty

>>implying a wood block is in any way better
They are. For the same reason wooden cutting boards are more hygienic than plastic. Wood is naturally antimicrobial.

Who the hell taught you anything?

Educate yourself, pleb.
svenska-forpackningsforeningen.se/assets/svenska_forpackningsforeningen/archive/woodfood/SurvivalofbacteriaonwoodandplasticparticlesDependenceonwoodspeciesandenvironmentalcondition.pdf
faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm
commonsensehome.com/wooden-cutting-boards/

Ok if you say so, I am not clicking that.
I cut my steaks on correle corning glass plates that are so tough I can't scratch them with a nail.
Having a whole chunk of wood around to cut things on is pretty counterintuitive if you don't have chinese countertops and glass implements around.

I'm not sure what you're on about, bacteria or something, I don't have to worry about it because I'm not scared of invisible bugs.

are u a serial killer

>lowest quality bait
do you even troll?