Favorites

We pretend to be /mu/ and post our favorite books 3x3
I'll start

What am I, a girl?

redpill me on the name of the rose, why it good?

What the heck, I'll humour you.

A wonderful introduction to basic semiotics, historically accurate depictions of Franciscan monasteries as well as the 1300's political atmosphere in Europe, upfront references to famous authors (main character named after Sherlock Holmes, blind librarian named after Jorge Luis Borges), and as Cliff Sargent once put "it is a book about books about books"

If you're into historical fiction, theological and philosophical discussions, Catholicism, interconnections, or just a worthwhile winter read, I'd say have at it

any easy way of generating these?

puh-sue-edd

This is a gay enterprise.

you dont know how to draw an straight line either, m8

It looked barely off in paint. I have bad vision.

Best so far

how do you make this?

>Eve Babitz
>I went to this place and these people were there, then I went to this place and these people were there, after that I went to this place and these people were there, and did you know he slept with her? Anyway, went to this place

2/2
0/0
0/1
0/0
1/1

2/5

>Siddhartha
>Crime & Punishment
>Infinite Jest
>Tao Te Ching
>Letters from a Stoic
>Ficciones
>Kafka's Complete Works
>Swann's Way
>Faust

9/10

you seem like a cool dude user

Probably not my all-time favorites, but they're works that I could think of off the top of my head that meant something to me

Explain The Waves to me, please.

why do you like lolita? i want to hear your opinion on it. it's just that i really like all your other picks, but i failed to see the appeal in lolita when i read it.

>Fantastic unreliable narrator
>Masterful prose
>Plot is deliciously disturbing, compounded by the above two items
>HH and Lolita are well crafted
>You can just taste how much Nabokov must've loved writing it
I fell in love early on while reading the book for what might be a stupid reason: when he is first really getting into describing her, HH smoothly, expertly transitions into a line from Poe's "Anabel Lee" in the middle of a sentence. From then on I couldn't put it down.

I'm also a lolicon

>spoiler

who isn't desu?

>100 Years of Solitude
>Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>As I Lay Dying
>Mrs. Dalloway
>The Enigma of Arrival
>2666
>Infinite Jest
>V
>Ann Kerenina

Being a walking meme. It's OK.

1hunna and 2666 are also two of my favorites. that means we're gay for each other.

You should read Ulysses.

Funny thing is I started it last night. Are we lovers?

I can't stop thinking about Solitude.

We can be if you want to. If you enjoyed Portrait and Mrs. Dalloway you will love Ulysses. It's an unforgettable book. Don't get discouraged by Proteus, it gets easier after.

cool thanks for the description. Have you read Foucault's pendulum? if so how does it compare?

These are my favorite beeks.

you have similar taste as me. What is popol vuh

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks user.

a book

>Siddhartha
>Crime and Punishment
>Tao Te Ching

My bruddah

>Beckett

My nigga

what I have is called talent

Nice taste. Nice to see people appreciating yasunari Kawabata

Interesting that Villette is one of your favourites. How come you enjoyed it so much?

>One Hundred Years of Solitude
>The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged)
>Slaughterhouse Five
>Steppenwolf
>Spring Snow
>The Long Ships
>Silence
>Absalom, Absalom!

Nice.

Brothers Karamazov
Don Quixote
Ficciones
Solaris
Infinite Jest
Gospel of John
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
A Christmas Carol
Dubliners

Persuasion is so under appreciated.

Fiction

Non-Fiction

This is the only guy here I can say "probably has read a lot lot and chose his books full well knowing that"

We're acting like mu and so far he's one of the few unique choices so I have to acknowledge his taste.

>Washington Square - Henry James
>Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs
>Red Harvest - Dashiell Hammett
>History of the United States 1800-1817 - Henry Adams
>Dispatches - Michael Herr
>Go Tell it on the Mountain - James Baldwin
>Mountains and Rivers Without End - Gary Snyder
>Hard-Boiled Wonderland - Haruki Murakami
>Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac

Nah. The Waves, Book of Disquiet, Borges, Rimbaud, temps perdu - it's no less Veeky Forumscore than the others.

6 is enough for me.
>3x2

The Tanners - Robert Walser
Skylark - Deszo Kostolanyi
Journey by Moonlight - Antal Szerb
Selected Poems, 1923-1958 - E.E. Cummings
The Book of Ebenezer Le Page - G.B. Edwards
The Islandman - Tomas O'Crohan
Heartsnatcher - Boris Vian
Something for the Pain - Gerald Murnane (this is memoir about horse racing btw, not about depression)

That's my list without doing multiple books by the same author. I've read 5 of Walser's books, and they're all favourites overall, but Tanners is my absolute top.

What did you like about V.? It's one of the first books I've read that I see mentioned here on a regular basis that I am looking forward to finishing only because I will then start something else. I already read another book while reading it, still about 30% left to go.

>The Sound of The Mountain

I love you

refreshing

how pleb is my taste?

my guy is taoism big around here i first got into it by the tao of pooh

Complete trash.

You can keep The Tempest (although there are much better Shakespeare plays) as well as Crime and Punishment. Everything else has to go.

Pick up The Crying of Lot 49, advance to V, peruse Inherant Vice if you're still feeling nervous, then break into Gravity's Rainbow. When you're finished with it, set it aside for three weeks then read it again.

Only now are you ready to add one more book to your 3x3 in order to complete your first column. After conquering GR I would suggest tackling Joyce's ouevre. It would be acceptable to include by Ulysses and Finnegans Wake in your top 9.

Dislike

Moby Dick
Life a user's manual
Gravity's rainbow
Ulysses
Under the Volcano
Women and men
The tunnel
The lime twig
Paradise Lost if poetry counts, if not then pale fire or nightwood

When I finish Petersburg that'll replace paradise lost

Swap Seneca to Aurelius and you're literally me
Crime and Punishment
Anna Karenina
Tao Te Ching
Meditations
Walden
To The Lighthouse
On Wisdom of Life
Old Man and The Sea
Don Quixote

>Hard-boiled wonderland
I keep it on my nightstand at all times.

Yo lets all bang.

I request your validation

I've been wanting to check Mason & Dixon for a while, but I'm hesitant because of its sheer size.

The size I wasn't put off by but it was the dialect a little, you get used to it though a lot.

The Iliad and Oresteia are so wonderful. Which play out of that trilogy do you like the most?

I'm an unabashed Murakamfag and Hardboiled Wonderland is probably my favorite of everything he's written - and that's saying something.

This is mine

The House on the Borderland is one of the few novels that has given me recurring nightmares. Mason & Dixon and I am a Cat are nice too.

user are you actively trying to look patrician to Veeky Forums?

>We pretend to be /mu/

No. Fuck off. Sage.

Nah, those are just my favorites. If I wanted to look patrician I'd probably have to get a whole bunch of obscure works that don't really mesh together.

Have you read The Night Lands? I've been interested in buying it lately since it sounds proto-Dying Earth and how are Hodgson's other novels?