Anybody here waste a substantial amount of their lives playing video games and now feel behind-the-pack as far as...

Anybody here waste a substantial amount of their lives playing video games and now feel behind-the-pack as far as literary progression goes? I'm 26, and I've read an ok amount of stuff, but I only really got started with the greeks and and 'real' literature when I was 22. Considering true patrish' are ballin out of control and on their way to being published by my age, I can't help but feel totally lost and overwhelmed by the amount of literature I've yet to be exposed to....

I've wasted upwards of 3-4 years of my life playing Street Fighter and League of Legends. Feels bad man

Nope. I played cod4 for 3 years and league for 5. Now I still have a ton of great books to look forward to instead of just "ironically" shit posting and gargling James Joyce's cum when I'm not deciding whether or not to an hero

Yea man I feel you. Am actually 22 now and same as you have read an alright amount of books over the years, literally classics etc. But have yet to read the now modern ones. Feels bad man. Sometimes I wish I could stop playing games for a while and catch up but can't seem to grab the incentive to do so.

>literally classics etc
No hope for you.

No hope for you.

No hope for you.

I spent most my life playing video games, and I just started reading serious lit this year and last, and i've already knocked out 54 books since March.

Books definitely fill that empty spot in my life that games took up, video games are poisonous when consumed in too large amounts and for sustained periods of time, like any accessible media.

It is possible, but if you don't start you never will.

I think Kim is a good introductory book that never gets talked about to serious lit, it was my first serious book that kick started it all.

Is there still any hope for me if I started at 18?

BolaƱo only got published at his 40's
Theres always hope

Maybe instead of reading to impress strangers on the internet, you could stop being a pretentious faggot and just read for the sake of enjoying books. It's not hard to enjoy both.

Played CoD4 Remastered at a buddy's house over the weekend. Forgot how fucking great that game is.

I'm playing COD 5 to this very day because there's still a PC community.

>literary progression
The whole idea is stupid, bro.

Anyone interested in literature will be happy to speak to someone who is also interested regardless of their "level" because so few people have this hobby.

And people who don't read don't give a fuck about your "literary progress"

lol op faggot i'm 26 and haven't bought a video game since i was 16

u will never catch up to my patricianess

I am 26 too and teeter between feeling that I have wasted my life doing and knowing that I was at least content doing it and societal expectations of me are a spook.

I also procrastinate a lot so I rarely start anything because I know I will become board with it or not see it as good enough and scrap it or give it up. That is my cycle.

I only started reading when I was 33, and not because of video games but out of sheer ignorance and idiocy. So what? I've changed a lot and now reading is a significant part of my life. I love it, which is all that matters. Stop regretting, fools.

>The whole idea is stupid, bro.
This. If you're reading a book for any other reason than being interested in reading it, you're a fucking idiot. Forcing yourself through illusory 'academic path' of defined works will only make you hate literature as a whole.

I gave up video games while writing my MA thesis, because I was missing deadlines and worried about not getting it finished in time. Years later, no regrets, no desire to return to them. They're boring as hell, and a long sessions left me feeling jittery and angry, unable to think. They fucked up my sleep, concentration, everything. Short little silly "Angry Birds" type things are fine, but the immersive complex and on-line shit are the biggest time suck created by man.

who cares
read because you want to

What are you trying to accomplish? What's the rush? This isn't a contest. When you die the patrician god isn't going to judge you based on the number of based books you've read.

The rush is that I want to create a work of great beauty and insight that is made up of everything I am, but also taking into account the history of Western thought. As a result, I need to do my due diligence with the western canon in order to avoid disingenuity. There is just so much

Could be worse. Could have been anime.

Naw. That just is you being afraid of publishing and people reading your and understanding your shit. I read in stephen king's on writing that 'all bad writing comes from some form of fear'. I think he's right. You lived a life already, no matter what it is you're going to need to draw from that well to make your work 'you'.

I just did a novel like that. It was amazing all the shit that I put into the story that I didn't even know I did until I looked back later. It was the first time I felt 'this is me on a page' and it was a amazing.
Whether it's total shit or not or anyone will read it, that's something else. This novel's still mine.

As an autistic kid, video games was like the one thing I could relate to other kids with. Also playing MMOs in the golden era was a decent substitute for friends, and I learnt English. Overall I don't regret it, though I'm glad I stopped since it definitely was getting too much.

This.
If you're still playing games and you feel like you're wasting your time, then do something about it. Otherwise, there's no point regretting it.

Same, just CoD2

You still have time senpai, especially when considering that you still have at least another 40 years to live. I personally believe that most well read people don't reach a good level of wisdom until they are in their 30s and given that you have 4 years until you reach that, I would say you're not really lacking behind that much.
And besides, even if you weren't as well versed as patricians, you're still smarter than the Normies of your age, not that this should be satisfactory in itself, but this still means that you're already on a higher intellectual level that allows you to go for more progress in the future.

I dont play video games but I can spend hours looking at the wall feeling pain and thinking about why I havent a hero'd yet

>I read in stephen king's
Opinion discarded.