"To awaken the modern world, one must praise laziness...

"To awaken the modern world, one must praise laziness. The lazy man has an infinitely keener perception of metaphysical reality than the active one."
– E. M. Cioran

Are there any other NEET apologists in philosophy and literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sages_of_the_Bamboo_Grove
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lin Yutang

>If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live

>Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials

...obviously following in a tradition from Laozi and Zhuangzi

Steinbeck waxed praise for his NEET character Mack in Cannery Row. There's a paragraph in there somewhere where he calls laziness a virtue, iirc.
Mack "could of [sic] been president if he wanted to be" but fuck that when you can live off other people's work.

Once, when Chuang Tzu was fishing in the P'u river, the king of Ch'u sent two officials to go and announce to him: "I would like to trouble you with the administration of my realm."

Chuang Tzu held onto the fishing pole and, without turning his head, said, "I have heard that there is a sacred tortoise in Ch'u that has been dead for three thousand years. The king keeps it wrapped in cloth and boxed, and stores it in the ancestral temple. Now would this tortoise rather be dead and have its bones left behind and honored? Or would it rather be alive and dragging its tail in the mud?"

"It would rather be alive dragging its tail in the mud," said the two officials.

Chuang Tzu said, "Go away! I'll drag my tail in the mud!"

NEETzsche frequently praises idleness, criticizes the spirit of industriousness and those who would organize society around wealth generation.

>living in an area where you actually need a car
suburbicucks are the list literary of them all

>living literally anywhere in the USA aside from the five or six metro areas large enough to have real public transit systems

>tfw Cioran died before he could make a twitter account

>could of

TRIGGERED

so what's the fundamental /ciorancore/?

I think I'll like him more than Nietzsche, Nietzsche's a pretty chill dude once you get to understand him but the bombast throws people way off and his fandom is cancer because of it.

I live in DC and bike to work/take the metro, 5/5 bretty good

me

this guy gets it. a mid-small town where you can walk everywhere, but still keep anonymity, is the way. if you still need the shit of a city your mind is still corrupted.

>public transit systems
disfuckingusting

also, this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sages_of_the_Bamboo_Grove

Care to explain a bit more? Very interested in this Zhuangzi guy

I remember that Lucinde, from romantic German Friedrich Schlegel had a specific chapter praising laziness. If I remember right, it said that being lazy "made mortals akin to the gods".

Didn't really liked that book though, I'm more of a Novalis kind of guy. But my guess is that most true romantics praise otium somewhere in their works.

He was just a drunkard from Swansea

>Lin Yutang

not bad. thanks for that reference.

>living in the USA

Lack of physical exertion is usually the best way of learning how to die, which is the greatest virtue.

See Chiang Tzu is another spelling of Zhuangzi. I'd recommend both Zhuangzi and Lin Yutang's The Importance of Living.

on the heights of despair.
the trouble with being born

Also, desire to do seems to be inversely proportional with societal and environmental consciousness - the more you know how much your actions can hurt many others, the less you want to do. This is probably why that which we call the psychopath has a functionally infinite capacity for labor.

>being too much of a pussy to ride the subway

>I don't do anything I don't have to. What I have to do, I do it quickly.
Houtarou knew what was up

>living

>praising the paris commune
>keked pretty hard desu

But he doesn't have to do anything.

In Praise of Idleness would be the classic, no?

what didn't he say ffs

You could make a fine one just quoting his aphorisms desu.

And isn't that the ultimate laziness

Pretty much every book on the 'recommended r9k literature' graphic

i wish i had no shame and could just work at a fast food joint and play video games and wack off all day but like i keep getting this nagging idea i should raise a family

he said everything ever worth saying basically.

That nagging idea that you should raise a family is one of the most vulgar and base of human impulses. It is your nature wanting you to propagate when there is no need to do so. If you desire the pleasures of human contact, foster meaningful relationships. Don't get memed by your biology.

>Are there any other NEET apologists in philosophy and literature?
Literally the entire Existentialist and Postmodern literature. Hang out in shitty cafes and yolo all day.

And Diogenes was also a NEET.

>meaningful relationships.

You were almost getting somewhere but then spooked yourself

But then he threw it all away for dat curious hoe.

She was a Hikineet. The higher form of neetdom.

Chitanda a cute!

But yeah, based Oreki strayed off the path.

Kek i like both of you

Ctrl+F "Kierkegaard"

no results.

doesn't surprise me, lit is shit

these, and also a Short History of Decay

PRAISE KEK