Postmodernism

What does Veeky Forums think of Postmodernism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f5fY39vsjmU
youtube.com/watch?v=VCOEh_Dnkeg
youtube.com/watch?v=hcw0M8kEgaw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-postmodernism
albinoblacksheep.com/flash/animutation/
youtube.com/watch?v=c0DwRAVJZ4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. dead
2. a way for mediocre academics who are too dumb for math/physics to seem sophisticated through obscurantism

youtube.com/watch?v=f5fY39vsjmU

cool

The only way to write. Intelligent, nihilistic and a Wicked Sense of Humor.

Hating postmodernism is a meme for people too dumb or too "le wrong generashun" to get it.

2cynical4me

Veeky Forums pretends to be against it but this forum is the definition of post-modern communication

I like it a lot. There's plenty of interesting ideas that I think are relevant to daily life.

it's kinda gay

Oooo.

Postmodernism peaked 40 years ago you retard

your edginess hasn't been relevant for decades

>a way for mediocre academics who are too dumb for math/physics to seem sophisticated through obscurantism
This, but instead of using it as a pejorative, using it as a virtue.

I hate it with burning passion. postmodernism is death of true creation. new sincerity is our only hope

>tfw to smart too postmodernism

What did he mean by this

Hmm, I'd say it only seems like the epitome of post-modern communication because we're forced by historical context to interpret it through a pomo lens, but that's a pomo idea in and of itself so who knows eh

>implying you can think anything about it

Well isn't someone that is a brilliant postmodernist
more intelligent than a physicist

for example Derrida has more raw brain power than Einstein?

I'd actually unironically believe this for a lot of 20th century philosophers. People who read them uncharitably just dismiss them as charlatans but if you actually sit down and think about the work of Derrida, Heidegger, Lacan, etc, it becomes clear that these are the highest-functioning minds on the planet and the kind of mental power they bring to bear on philosophy is extraordinary. Doesn't mean they're not full of shit sometimes, just that people who dismiss them because they aren't immediately intelligible are as bad or maybe worse than reddit-strawman fundamentalists reading scientific texts

if u sincerely think that then you obv havent even introduced yourself to the works of modern physicists and mathematicians not to talk about understanding them

im saying that something like Derrida's works, like On Grammatology is more complex than say Einstein's General Relativity

its harder to read, more complex etc. than science

this shows you clearly have no understanding of high level science today....

I can tell you that string theory is much, much more complex and abstract than anything these postmodernists talk about

new sincerity when

instead of berating you about your lack of current understanding of science (which is probably true)

I want to ask a different question? what makes you think postmodernists have higher brain power than mathematicians or physicists today?

theres this weird belief on /lit that many think science and math is easy or something...like they think high school math is the extent of it

completely divorce to modern theories of how complex this shit really is

Is Pynchon a postmodernist?
How about McCarthy?

>Is Pynchon a postmodernist?
Yes
How about McCarthy?
No, his writing doesn't belong to that movement, he is closer to a modernist actually

And Wallace?

postmodernism is the lazy way out, though. Instead of creating a meaningful work of heart-wrenching beauty, postmodernists just sublimate to 'there are no more effective narratives, meaning is a lie, etc.' which is the crux of every postmodern piece of literature for the last 50 years. It's boring at this point

wrong.

Postmodern lit is largely shit, philosophy is ok. Veeky Forums's got it the wrong way round.

explain how I am wrong

yes, although Infinite Jest practically killed Post-modern literature and ushered in New Sincerity

Postmodernism isn't really that confusing at all. It just gets STEMfags all riled up because they can't understand it so they like to shitpost about it.

Is becoming post-modern what's going to save the right?

haha no

>people who dismiss them because they aren't immediately intelligible are as bad or maybe worse than reddit-strawman fundamentalists reading scientific texts
...he said, dismissing them using reddit as a strawman. Well ironied, my friend.

That's post-post modernism.

>le science
>abstract

It's simple, meaning it is artificially difficult.

is that an actual term? is there a term?

I'm almost certain it's my own original term. I'd best define it as internalized irony, Veeky Forums likes to call it new sincerity but I think new sincerity is just a continuation of post-modernism.

Either way it's basically bizarro post-modernism and modernism, like how post-modernism was like bizarro modernism. To a greater degree, though. There's more similarities between say, Woolf and Gaddis than Gaddis or even a more contemporary post-modernist like DeLillo, and Cicierega (basically Neodada/Fluxus cleansed of all academia and pretense and made truly multimedium.)
youtube.com/watch?v=VCOEh_Dnkeg
youtube.com/watch?v=hcw0M8kEgaw

I found this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-postmodernism but that really doesn't seem accurate to me. It pretty much doesn't exist in literature and I don't think it ever can because it developed separate from academia and even from the written word. Also, a shift from a more nihilistic absurdism to an at least ambivalent and sometimes even optimistic absurdism (or, at least, an absurdism that is more pure, in that it doesn't have any pretense of meaning.)

Here's more examples: albinoblacksheep.com/flash/animutation/

A lot of what's on /f/ also fits. It probably started with flash animations.

look up algebraic geometry dumbass

"artifically difficult" what a dumbass post

>dude it makes me le think so its le abstract

my theory is that a possible post-postmodernism is what I would call retro-avantgarde, the idea is that post-modernism can't ever make a push forward because it's always latched on to the modernism that has been questioning the avant-garde of its time. Going back to previous avant-garde movements and start creating a modernism from that in a different post-postmodern way.
Create something a new path from something like an old avant-garde: for instance like academic painting was destroyed by modernism, because what we know what the post-modern outcome of this is, go back to the academic painting and apply to it the history of post-modernist knowledge to it.

Because the idea is that post-modernism as it is now it will never be able to push forward, it won't create an avant-garde of its own: the questions have been asked and answered already.

can someone explain to me exactly what the fuck post modernism is

I'd like to elaborate a bit more, since some confusion would arise: it is not ironic in the sense that a satire or parody is ironic. It's not even properly ironic, it's just that 'internalized irony' is a goofy definition. Post-post modernism is also a goofy name, since the genre resists categorization and meaning entirely. [s4s] is post-irony, so are a lot of memes (however, most people will confuse ironic memes with post-postmodernism, which is very wrong because those have some kind of criticism attached to them.)

Pynchon has a similar aesthetic to post-postmodernism, but is also somewhat serious being a coldwar author. His goofiness is a criticism of goofy rock music and such. And since it's literature it isn't multi-medium. It was surprisingly popular at one point, but flash animations are dead now. It can't even be studied, me making these posts is going against the purpose and even saying there is a purpose is going against the 'purpose'.
It essentially is old avant-garde stripped of all meaning. Except there currently is Neodada in academia and art, and that Neodada has nothing to do with the post-postmodern Neodada. One is asking the audience to consider identity and absurdity in life, while the other does no such thing.

However, you're making a mistake by assuming this new movement is trying to ask or answer any questions.

Upon what do you base this on?

anyone else find dfw's "new sincerity" ideals really juvenile and obvious? also i really don't get his criticisms a lot of the time, i have literally never read a book that only focuses on being "ironic" and kicking any semblance of sentimentality to the curb. hell fucking Bleak House is more ironic and less sentimental than Gravitys Rainbow.

We wouldn't know if it's going to ask any questions because we haven't done this postmodern avantgarde as I mean it.
I'm trying to imagine a surrealism for instance, which was very much focused on the unconscious, how it would look if back then they had a time machine to our time and what would be of surrealism then.
Or for instance collage that started with dadaism today has evolved into collage video art or digital collages, my idea is to go back to the original intention and see what could be done with the means of today, not only the pragmatically but also theoretically.

I couldn't tell you what art would come out taking an old manifesto from some group, take the futurist manifesto, without knowing what they have already done with it. Force yourself to pursue in the line of the manifesto but from this day on instead from their day, just to make an example from the top of my head of how it could work in practical terms.

youtube.com/watch?v=c0DwRAVJZ4A

PoMo isn't weird for the sake of weird, it's weird for critical reasons. PoPoMo is weird for the sake of weird.

I think part of the joke is kinda that Moe doesnt really get it either. The Simpsons writers are obvi fans of Pynchon, I think they'd know its more than "weird just cuz"

'weird just cuz' is better than the actual thing.

>its a postmodernism post

nu sincerity is for of nu-males
Postmoderism is Veeky Forums approved even if most people here treat it like a boogeyman because it shows us reality is a veil we can change and i print our ideas upon easily.

oh god, I remember seeing this youtube account a long time ago. The dark horrors of critical theory/leftist dominated academia that this dude has dug up are unprecedented to anything else I have ever seen on the internet. It's so malicious and manipulative, it makes all the commonly criticized 'SJW' rhetoric look virtuous.

GREATEST POST MODERN WORK EVER:

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY

I'm not sure if you are being ironic, but MGS2 is postmodernism turned genre. It may actually be perfect for what it set out to be; although, intentional lack of objectivity only makes this statement hard to make.

Jesus never thought I'd see someone using Dougal for a reaction fair fecks

>postmodernism turned genre
What?

>It may actually be perfect for what it set out to be
It is perfect, and it also post modern

>makes this statement hard to make.
The way you write is confusing and stilted. Dont every try to write a book.

/clap

Genius must be recognized

I think I disagree. I've been reading a lot about "the new sincerity," or whatever you want to call it, as being the "next" thing following postmodernism and I think they're some really compelling arguments in it. Anyway, my point is, I think Veeky Forums is a reflection of the full gamut of human experience. Yeah, there's a lot of shit but there's also some hidden nuggets of beauty and it's only possible because we've done away with the pretense of being polite or automatically conforming to societal norms, we've grown past that. That's the only reason I'm here, for that sincere expression of humanity, blemishes and all.

>That's the only reason I'm here, for that sincere expression of humanity, blemishes and all.

I like you user

yeah, I'm pretty chill

It's a typical "Western" philosophy. Instead of having ideals and virtues that makes the life of you and your people more valuable, you rather stick to a philosophy that is all about being a self-centered, destructive, hedonistic jerk. Thus neither you nor your people "care".

This is why todays left and academia is corrupt..