Is "I think therefore I am" invalidated when you consider that we may just be AI in a simulation...

Is "I think therefore I am" invalidated when you consider that we may just be AI in a simulation? Can I not even prove that I exist?

"I think therefore I am" is automatically invalidated because it assumes the existence of an 'I' without ever having proved such an existence, it's just a circular argument. If you're not sure there's an 'I' then you certainly can't start with "I think"

if you were an AI you would still exist, just not as what you think you are
t. spirituality fag that wants to act as if this is about the ego and not consciousness

There is no "I" in Descartes's original statement in latin.

We can say with logical validity that at least ones self has a subjective experience. We can then assert with a high degree of truth ones self is responsible for thinking. Until some form of evidence is provided that there is some external force causing consciousness to function, the default position is to accept the evidence at hand.

>There is thinking going on
>Something must exist to be doing the thinking
>I must be that something
>I think, therefore I am

you dont need to be that thing, it is also possible that you, as in the consciousness experiencing, experience thoughts happening that are coming up as a natural function of the brain/body like how you can experience your heart beating without your intention

thats literally who you are retard

If we are or are not AI is irrelevant. Does it change how you feel?

Being a simulation doesn't invalidate sapience. It changes what you are, not the fact of it.

Calling our universe a simulation is very dumb, the level of science required to make this shithole would be way beyond us.

exactly. the implication being that whatever created the simulation is way more advanced than us and what we experience as the universe pales in comparison to what they experience as the universe. it invalidates our existence even further

THICC

The fact that an AI would try to deceive you is one of the proofs your mind exists. Why would an AI try to deceive an inanimate object?

I think therefore I get doubles

Nice try brainlet, but you just proved you don't think and therefore may not be.

Define existence, why does it matter if we are a simulation or not, we'd still be 'existing'.

Also, last I checked, "science and mathematics" didn't include philosophy?

if your "logic" only works in certain languages, it's obviously not valid
>We can say with logical validity that at least ones self has a subjective experience.
what? elaborate

>We can then assert with a high degree of truth ones self is responsible for thinking.
massive leap even assuming the other line was true, especially with the modern theory of predeterminism

>Until some form of evidence is provided that there is some external force causing consciousness to function, the default position is to accept the evidence at hand.
absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

>Is "I think therefore I am" invalidated when you consider that we may just be AI in a simulation?
No.

>Can I not even prove that I exist?
Incorrect.

/thread

t. non Latin speaker

define'I'

define 'think'

define 'am'

Why is this on Veeky Forums?

You people are retarded and this is a science board not a philosophy board.
The fact that you can think prove that in some way you exist which cannot be said for anything else.
Are you people underage?

[math]
\text{ }^{\color{#571da2}{\displaystyle\text{W}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{\color{#462eb9}{\displaystyle\text{h}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#3f47c8}{\displaystyle\text{y}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#3f62cf}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#437ccc}{\displaystyle\text{i}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#4b90bf}{\displaystyle\text{s}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#56a0ae}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#62ab99}{\displaystyle\text{t}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#71b484}{\displaystyle\text{h}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#82ba70}{\displaystyle\text{i}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#96bc5f}{\displaystyle\text{s}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#a9bd52}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#bcbb48}{\displaystyle\text{o}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#ceb541}{\displaystyle\text{n}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#dcab3c}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e39938}{\displaystyle\text{/}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e68033}{\displaystyle\text{s}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e3632d}{\displaystyle\text{c}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{\color{#de4227}{\displaystyle\text{i}}}}}}\text{ }^{\color{#da2121}{\displaystyle\text{/}}}
[/math]

>The fact that you can think prove that in some way you exist which cannot be said for anything else.
the point is that you don't know you 'can think' moron

did you not have any sort of required philosophy class anytime in your life, or are you still in high school? critical thinking is apparently hard to come by these days...

>Think
>Nigger

There have been a lot of objections to it.

>yfw existence is a social construct.

It's a moot point.

>invalidated when you consider that we may just be AI in a simulation?

??? So? You'd still exist

>beyond us.
no one said """"we"""" did it tard

Neat
You're still a fagshoe

The word he uses is "cogito" which literally mean "I think," what are you even on about?

You're criticism is that he used the Latin word for "I" rather than the English word "I."

Maybe you should learn English before diving into meme languages

I don't see any miss take. Perhaps the fault is entirely you're's?