How hard would it be to land on the surface of the Sun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8MImmQvqCSg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Sun is scary but also comfy.
youtube.com/watch?v=8MImmQvqCSg

I mean, North Korea managed it so it can't be that hard.

That's because Kim Jong Il is the sun and allowed safe passage of Best Korean spaceships.

Difficult but not impossible. You'd either need a new material that can handle the heat, or some kind of magnetic cushion. The real difficulty would be getting back off.

>You'd either need a new material that can handle the heat, or some kind of magnetic cushion.
Heat?
That's an understatement.
You need to design fist a spaceship that can survive to at least an atomic bomb.

It's simple, just go at night.

Heat isn't the only problem. It would be hard to actually hit the sun in the first place. If you're even slightly off you'll slighshot around it

>not impossible

>hand waving
>magic

Well, landing is easy even if you can't survive the heat even for a second.

Even ignoring the obvious problem of heat, there's no way we could land on the Sun because there's no propulsion technology we have that can provide both the deltaV and the thrust required to counteract the Sun's gravity and slow down to a velocity of zero at the Sun's "surface". Even an Orion drive using nukes wouldn't be up to the task, we'd need something that could pull 27.5 Gs continuously just to hover close to the sun, let alone cancel hundreds of kilometers per second of orbital velocity.

We should fly a probe directly into the Sun for testing.

Atomic bombs are hotter than the sun tho (for a few nanoseconds or less lmao)

carbon melts at 5x10^3 K
corona is 2x10^6 K

So nothing solid will survive entering the sun's outer heat sphere.

You would need something that consumes heat to even approach, and you can think of a lot of science fiction here to suit your taste.

Why are the inner layers colder than the outer layers?

Inside the sun basically only convection occurs. At the surfaces, heat is actually radiated.

I should at to this. Temperature is actually an average of heat energy among particles. The outer layers of the sun are actually very nebulous, and only transfer heat with each other. Once the radiated heat and particles are able to escape, they have very high heat energy and can impart a lot of energy.

Why the fuck would you want to go there? I don't think the surface of the sun is solid anyway.

What would that achieve? Any communications from it would be drowned out long before it even got close.

It'd be more interesting to send one grazing through the corona, robotically collecting neat data, and then relaying to us after passing through perigee and rising away from the Sun again.

The sun isn't even solid there isn't anything to "land" on, you'd just get deeper and deeper into the surface until you're suspended in a soup of plasma.

reeee shit like this freaks me out

Why? You realize at some point your body was just in that plasma right?

We just need the technology of star fox, those arwings resisted enough heat from a huge temperature, just with the help of silver & golden rings

The solar corona is only a hundred trillionth as dense as Earth's atmosphere though. Convection is utterly negligible and the temperature of what random occasional plasma particle you might encounter is irrelevant. As long as you have the ability to cope with the intense "5,800 K hot" radiation emanating from the photosphere (which is still no small feat, don't get me wrong), you should be alright.

Pic related is designed to operate in the outer corona, less than 10 solar radii from the Sun (and indeed, investigate what makes the Corona so hot in the first place). The thermal shield should block most direct radiation from the sun, and withstand the very high temperatures that entails, while the rest of the probe will be safely hidden from the Sun's heat in the shadow of the shield and at a comfortable temperature. While there are instruments on the probe for collecting samples of the hot corona and solar wind, the heat actually absorbed from the corona isn't even a consideration.

What would happen if I pooped/peed on the Sun's surface.

it would turn into sunspot

>[Music]
I always hate videos that do this
What does "[Music]" mean? I am deaf so i have no idea what music sounds like in general but they could at least say what the name of the piece is so I can look up the composer or the lyrics.

>implying the (((sun))) exists

We can't even get anything to touch the sun or even come close, let alone land on it.

Well the sun exists but it's pretty small. No bigger than the moon when I look at it. And we did try to blow the moon up, so I think if they blow the sun up, and are successful then its probably the oil industry trying to make sure we rely on oil forever.

Why would they want us to rely on stinky oil

Leave the sun alone. :(

Yeah, but they landed at night when it was safe.

>I don't think the surface of the sun is solid anyway.

That point took WAY too long to come up.

Easy peasy.

It would be very painful

This post takes me back.

>that fucking submarine level

Not hard

Just land during nighttime

Well assuming you somehow manage to survive the temperature Im certain the soundwaves would obliterate your spaceship.

How would you land without extinguishing the Sun. We kinda need it, you know.

At what speed will you need to travel to tell how long it's possible to do an extreme pass slingshot on the outer surface for at least a small time?

>land on the sun

0% chance, there is no land on the sun

I could never make it to Aquas. I was such a scrub
>sage

Casual scum. Don't even reply to me

That is in extreme perspective, as the football-field sized ice block approaches the sun from out by the orbit of Mercury.

The faster you go, the more friction is going to increase the heat you pick up.

Just travel faster than the light so it can't catch you

checkmate atheists

Guess it's more a question of the shape of your craft and its ability to reduce the shock front. Or you'd be able to just divert the plasma using an electromagnetic field. My thinking is the sun would probably let you spend less than a tenth of a second there, carbon can't stand much... infrared? The electrons and positrons would try burning you up? What else, holy shit maybe even neutrino interactions would gather to an actual degree of tangibility.

It's definitely possible. But the ship would have to be an ice ball the size of the sun and that would cause a ton more problems.

it's impossible during day

if some nation landed on the Sun and claimed it, would they be able to charge everybody else for sunlight?

The sun is still hot enough to strip anything that touches it of its electrons, making it instantly vaporise into nothing

unless they had a way to somehow not provide sunlight to the person who refuses to pay
no, no they could not.
that is a retarded question, user

The fact that it took this many posts to finally bring up the delta-V required to get to the sun is a sad testament of how much Veeky Forums's quality has gone down.

You would have to convert yourself to photons and provide immunity to heat/radioactivity/fission

Easy, just ask the Trillion Lion Armada to grant you safe passage to the Sun

It would be a big space ship

>20 No
It wouldn't be hard at all the craft large enough to land on the surface of the sun would be so big and the density of the surface would make a nice soft landing.

Woke af

Implying we weren't created in God's image already.