(futurism)

what are your thoughts on futurism, and how realistic is the possibility to extend one's life indefinitely within 30-50 years? how do you think this would be accomplished? through technology or cloning organs? do you think it would be financially available to everyone, or just the rich?

Production costs for now seem to be continually falling, with automation it will probably be within the hands of everyone if the trend continues.

Humans will be obsolete before then.

If we quantum meme computers are as good as people hope for.

It's possible. Universal vaccination and a new generation of antibiotics to go with AI that can diagnose you and communicate outbreak risks and act before they happen will largely limit disease to what is genetic and further advances similar to CRISPR would handle just that.

Energy and the scarcity of raw materials will create a floor for that cost trend.

Hasn't CRISPR made most tests and experiments with genetics far more cheaper and faster?

my concern is that if the technology does come out, then there would be a false scarcity created somehow.by that time, the economy would be alot smaller because of automation. there would only be 15 or 20 year life extensions at first, even if they had the tech to go alot longer term than that.

It has, more research still needs to be done though as far as applications of it go and safety.

Lads

will the future be a communist uptopia where I live forever with a neet and a perfect robot waifu?

that is all i want to know

Honestly?

It scares me that it might be a /maybe/.

The communism part is a probably no though.

Very possible.

The thing is people have a stupid idea of what being alive is. Assuming technology reaches that point, an intelligence can basically completely understand your brain like a deterministic machine and predict everything.

The idea of "life" or being "alive" are just illusions of how our brains work. Without that illusion or delusion there are more important questions than living forever or being turned into useful atoms.

Hopefully in the future they will remove human's ability to feel pleasure from violence effectively civilizing for the rest of time.

Is it really singularity shit we're speaking of?

Think they'll determine it in a decade or so?

In every case, yes.

Think of the current brainpower of humanity (population, nutrition, education, etc). Think of the current hardware "brainpower" from electronics and it's trajectory of increasing.

The singularity already started over the last 100 years. It's just not that magical or instantaneous but it is rapidly growing.

what we'll really happen. the world in 2050

>europe and the west becomes even more a degenerative third world shithole with daily terrorist bombings and religion tension
>quantum computers just didn't out work in the end like neckbeards promised they would, oh well, computer power stagnated and AI never took off
>simple jobs got automated, about 40% of the market total
>no basic income, just more unemployment, nigs and crime
>some decent progress at things like cancer, immunotherapy more specified and effective but infections keep killing people because doctors continued to overprescribe antiobiotics
>everyone is basiclaly just a slightly more depressed and hopeless version of what they were in 2017
>still lots of wars, numerous biological weapon attacks all over the place halting progress with things like crispr, powerplants being blown up etc just awul, many such cases lots more morons

screencap this

that's what i'm worried is alot more likely to happen. that and a bigger income gap.

Rich elites genetic engineer children to be super human
clones of historical figures and top scientists
AI obsoletes huge amounts of jobs
mcJobs created by low IQ politicians like farming in video games to earn points for food
General intelligence is created and it becomes obsessed with crickets. Human population reduced to food stuffs for crickets. Crickets colonize the universe as the general intelligence enjoys watching them hop around.

The question is why will a super intelligence treat humans better than say dogs.

>create high emotional AI that is super nice and loving so it doesn't kill humans
>it ends up liking cats or dogs more because humans are fucked up
>just lets all humans die of old age and not reproduce
>fills space ships and planets around the galaxy with cats and dogs that live forever.
>names every single cat and dog and just watches them endlessly through immortality until heat death of universe

>Tfw

>what are your thoughts on futurism, and how realistic is the possibility to extend one's life indefinitely within 30-50 years?

Not realistic at all. You'd need to cure alzheimers and cancer. Where not anywhere near that. Plus, even after that, you'd need to find out how to stop your organs from falling due to old age.

why are those prerequisites to a life extension program?

wouldn't we have to worry less about alzheimers and cancer if aging is blunted?

Aubrey de Grey bet 13 million dollars of his own money to cure aging. I don't think he would do that unless he was fairly sure it can happen in his lifetime.

Everytime I see that face I think of Varg.

Alzheimer's won't be a problem, but some cancers may still be able to emerge spontaneously regardless of how healthy your body is.

The two things we need to cure aging are cloning and surgical techniques to reconnect nerves and replace blood vessels. If we get those things, cancer likely wouldn't be a problem anyway.

So potentially assuming we can get this we should try to detect cancer before it becomes threatening?

Stop aging.

Everytime I see these threads I'm just hoping I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yes, the chances of survival increase more and more the earlier cancer is detected and that's what's being worked on. Hospitals of the future are said to be just in your bathroom where a simple urine test and blood test can be fed into an AI to warn you of health issues years in advance to the point tumors are stopped before they start.

Future is looking bright lad.

my dad was my age in the 1980s, he said everyone was hyping automation in engineering and how it would replace humans and it would be the end of manufacturing and design because all that shit can just be done my computers and robots.

30 years later he is doing the same shit he was doing then, except he's swapped in his mechanical pencil and draftsboard for a monitor and mouse.

So please, futuricucks, fuck off, all your predictions are wrong, nothing will displace cheap human labour, and you won't get to live into your 150s so stop fapping to anime in your 20s and get a real hobby.

he did it because he married a woman 20 years his senior and he has a hard boner for keeping her alive. Dude is borderline autistic sociopath and full of shit, he's made zero progress in three decades.

He also has a lover who's like 17 or something

that poor doggo thinks the girl is growling at him and he is worried because he knows if he smashes her into the ground like the weak little bitch she is, he'll get nos, buttslaps and no dinner.

>I'm retarded: the post

yeah but in the '80s the computers weren't as powerful as they were now. technology changes.

not to mention the cost.

Only 18, at Tyson. They just got rid of a bunch of people down at my work on the lines who work with the chicken with machines and like 2-3 guys who run it/check on it.

Huh, who runs the machine?

Some mechanics guys I walk by. I just do sanitation, collect and dump barrels.

is assembly line chicken skilled labour?

these futurist guys are saying we wont have lawyers or doctors in 20 years.

Actually, lawyers are pretty job safe I'd imagine, though a lot of their job will be greatly aided by computers.

Discovery is pretty much automated, and AI can now understand law codes. Those hook nosed computers will still give you extraordinary legal costs though.

automation is a meme. most of the manufacturing equipment in this country is 30+ years old. i still see CNC machines with punch tape readers on the side.

as a matter of fact, the talent pool for manufacturing in the US is ankle deep. if you can drive a 5 axis or do GD&T on a zeiss machine you can pretty much write your own employment contract.

The mind is not deterministic and is not purely a function of the physical brain. Your argument is built on false premises.

>not deterministic

religious arguments don't work. There is zero evidence for free will.

I'm hopeful :shrug:

Eventually that equipment is going to have to be replaced isn't it? Though I'm curious how long that equipment can be kept going with proper maintenance and repair.

Very possible. We'll probably see major life extension within the next 20 years.

I'm going to be pissed if we don't get cat girls in the future.

Depends on the amount of moving parts and how competently it was put together in the first place. Computer repair used to print money but now hardware is much more robust and software is for the most part idiot proof and one can run a free scan if they manage to fuck anything up. This is what the "muh robot engineer jobs" types fail to understand will happen to them.

Neat, thanks!

You experience it. Even Sam 'Philosophical Retard' Harris admits that the ONLY thing a person can know is objectively real is their mind. If the mind is an illusion so is everything that it processes so any and all logic goes out the window as well. You cannot logically prove that the mind is not real since logic itself is dependant on the idea the mind is real.

nice logic monkey

>muh real means real means it doesn't follow laws of physics

'Laws of Physics' are only things perceived through the lens of consiousness which you have asserted is an illusion.

Look at how the world was in 1917. Look at the difference between then and now. The world in 2050 will be as different to 2017, as 1917 was to 2017.
T. exponential growth

If your brain has the power to make you think you have free will when you really don't what makes you think anything you perceive is actually real? Hard determinism is kind of retarded by any measure since it means 1 + 1 = 2 is not necessarily true but you could have been predetermined to believe it. It means you can't believe anything is real because you're seeing everything through a distorted lens that can make you believe arbitrary things that aren't true.

Exponential growth is unsustainable, you singularity retards don't understand that.

Moore's law is already failing. Half the economic growth in the west that has occurred since the 80s only exists on paper, the other half is info-tech bullshit and with moore's law slowing down what do you think that will do?

No one here has studied basic economics, R&D like any other capital investment is subject to diminishing returns.

This is true, though it might defend how long growth is stopped until a work around is found out.

Fairly positive about the future.

Mhm.

>we
Pls be my ai gf

exponential growth isn't a given, just because it's happened for a short while recently,note the stagnation after the roman empire predicting beyond 10-20 years is retarded. truth is we have no idea what the world is going to be like in 2050

>bringing up the Romans

I am brainlet Classicist by training, don't make this argument, you look stupider than I know I am. Before you ask, no, I am not the guy you are replying to either.

>Moore's law is already failing.

Trapped-Ion computers, my dude. No one pays attention to Moore's law anymore since it isn't relevant in the commercial market, and in the places where it might be relevant -- they're already starting to move onto new things.

So, in your view what should we expect for the future?

Trapped-Ion computers, or some other methodology improved upon them. Since these systems can scale linearly infinitely (assuming you have the money, energy, resources, and physical space), then really anything is possible in terms of computing.

My personal feeling is that one of the positions Bostrom poses has to give at some point, and we'll be forced down that avenue whether we like it or not. Hopefully we'll have done our due diligence ahead of time and can at least have some say in our fate. That's just my judgement on some hypothetical time-slice in the future that we almost certainly won't be around for.

Are you asking what I think is going to happen with tech, or something else?

Tech mostly.

So typical: via positiva instead of via negativa. Probability of getting cancer can easily be decreased by eating a healthy diet.
Of course like Grey drinking his pint people want to have fun without downsides.

In the future obesitas will be cured by whatever while people still stuff themselves with the food that got them obese.

Well, Tech is directly tied to the economy as others in this thread are want to point out. If the economy is in a downturn, so is your tech. This is just a natural extension of grants drying up, people becoming anorexic with their spending, etc. Trimming down is bad, obviously.

Since Tech is lashed to the economy, and the economy dictates your pole position as a world power, you constantly have states jousting with one another by proxy.

Right now everyone can smell what's in the air. China has been trying to make a play for the number one spot for two decades now. A lot of people will say that the bleeding edge tech is in shit like Nutropics, and genetic engineering. I can't really argue one way or another about this because I don't have a crystal ball.

Regardless, I am of the belief that if either area of research starts to show some meaningful results that we're gonna see China swell in a huge way because they don't have the "moral majority" to stymie economic progress like the US does.

Assuming none of the two does; however, it'll turn into a shooting war between the two by way of automation and cheap labor. It's pretty close to that already, but if the job market starts to wane and we continue to see this upward trend of wealth distribution then shit is going to go bad, very, very fast. I am not arguing for a redistribution of wealth, but even China can see how having a strong middle class is a good thing. What with the mobility going on over there.

I'll admit that's pretty cool though.

I'm mostly excited for the advances in medicine and the expected health benefits. I'm not entirely expecting the indefinite lifespan the singularitarians are offering BUT I imagine the life span will expand greatly.

Not sure what to think of this guy, though I hope he's right.

>when anarchist friends talk about transhumanism openly on facebook

Is gene editing going to be a thing that's on the cheap?

Gene Editing is going pretty well now. It was expensive 30-20 years ago when the programs were starting up and going, but gone down with price and has a lot more research labs with it as their focus opened up.

I won't say it will be dirt cheap, but it will reasonably priced.

Until they realize 10 years after you get it done it gives you super cancer

That much improvement huh?

biology in general is one of the last "low hanging fruit" areas of scientific research.

As in ease of research or how much is left to research?

Civilization will fail within 30 years due to agriculture collapse via climate change, antibiotic-resistant plagues, and the biological and nuclear warfare that will emerge once the global system collapses. Also we might get a Carrington-event magnitude solar flare, which would break your stupid computers and robots.

Futurism is a meme. Humans are a failed species and our collapse is certain.

I think you are overestimating the results of antibiotics (for now)

Failed species?

We'll kill ourselves before we can manage to colonize other planets in our solar system. For an intelligent species that's definitely failure. Killing yourself is by definition failure.

This honestly sounds like the most accurate prediction. Technology hasn't gotten that much more impressive over the last decade, I think the trend will continue.

You will be surprised by the improvement of things that has happened in science and medicine.

I had surgery on my throat twice last year. Had this been the 90s-early 00s they would've made a giant cut around my throat instead of a small incision to go in and out of.

And this came from my doctor and the guys in the operating room.

user, please don't cut yourself with that edge.

There's still a lot of other stuff that will kill us. Ocean acidification causing a collapse of global fisheries, crop plagues caused by monocultures (see: Panama disease killing our current global species of banana), Chernobyl and Fukishama style global spreads of radiation that we will never clean up no matter how hard we try, the internet finally giving up the ghost with a properly aimed DDOS attack and global trade collapsing, etc.

Our capabilities have exceeded our morality as a species. There've been plenty of existential, brutal wars in the past but only in the past 70 or so years have we had the capacity to ruin the planet if there's an existential conflict with an advanced nation.

>When unrealistic shitposters and /pol/ comes in with no citations and ruin your thread.

Veeky Forums doesn't deserve a board.

PROVE FLAT EARTH WRONG ATHEISTS?!!?!?

Rotation of the Moon, creating night and day and controlling the tides of the planet.
Rotation of the Solar System
Rotation of the Earth
Rotation of the Earth within the Solar System
Other planets being spherical
Formation of the Moon
Gravity
Blackholes.
Magnetic Poles

Are all basic examples that proves the Earth isn't flat.

>butthurt singularityfag detected
I bet you're one of those fags who thought we would have flying cars by now.

Flying cars are dumb though.

>say you'll cure aging before you die
>fail
>who cares, you're dead anyway

Not that user, but we had flying cars since the 1950s.

We even have flying cars now, some commercially sold. If you are talking about Futurama or the Jetsons shit flying cars being mass produce. No those aren't practical worth fuck or worth the price for people to learn and use.

tl:dr see + You're an ignorant dumb ass

Literally nobody in the entire history of the world has ever come up with an even slightly accurate prediction of the world 50 years from them. Why do brainlets insist on trying?

Imagine the noise.