What do look for when buying a french press?

What do look for when buying a french press?

Your local municipality's recycling laws. Aeropress or GTFO

>Aeropress
The memest of memes. Functionally exactly zero difference from a french press.
>inb4 muh air cussion
Irrelevant is what it is.

>Functionally
If you define the function as "putting caffeine in your bloodstream", maybe. Just take caffeine pills if you don't give a shit about taste.

so i should pore my boiling water in plastic, huh?

Many of the foods and beverages you consume were in contact with polymers at some point along the line, often when hot. Worry less about a cup or two per day of coffee, and worry more about all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes because you were too lazy to think about it.

Functionally as in you pour hot water over coffee grinds, lets them sit for a while and then you separate them by mechanical force. It's the exact same process, only memefied.

If you drip brew you're doing something else. If you extract under steam pressure you're doing something else. If you boil it like Turkish coffee or a percolator you're doing something else, but a French press and an "aeropress" is the exact same extraction process. There is zero difference in flavour and result if done with the same water, temperature and grounds.
They've just added fancy words to make gullible idiots fall for it.

>Functionally as in you pour hot water over coffee grinds, lets them sit for a while and then you separate them

You mean basically every coffee brewing method on the planet? I like how you threw in "mechanical" force as if the gravitational force is some kind of unspeakable supernatural thing

BTW, since you seem utterly helpless at this, the thing that distinguishes french press from most other mainstream coffee making methods is the oil. The point of french press is to make the oils join the coffee in your cup. This is something that doesn't happen with aeropress, where the coffee comes out of the bottom (opposite end of where the oils want to go), or pourovers, where the same principle applies

Wanting oil in coffee other than espresso is a classic beginner's mistake. Somewhat like thinking oil on the surface of your coffee beans is a good thing. What happens is, a neophyte who has only had garbage coffee sees someone drinking good coffee without whipped cream on top, and they get very confused and flustered. Instead of trying to think about what might be going on, they go out and buy a 1990s fad brew method and drink awful sludge mud with an oil slick on top, made with eye-talian roast trashbeans covered in oil slick. You seem stuck in a weird time warp universe, I bet you think Starbucks is for wealthy hip connoisseurs

I have a 8 cup steel thermal one. Since I usually don't drink all of it at once, it's nice to have something that keeps it hot.

Allow me to preface this first by saying that I really don't like press pots for making coffee for various reasons. If you're interested to know those reasons, I'll tell ya, but not in this post.

For a press pot, you want

· a glass beaker
>with an easily separable handle/base
· PLASTIC lid and filter guard
>metal, evenly supposedly "stainless" steel, will rust
· separable filter guard and plunger
>filter guards are made of two pieces, a top and bottom, and a mesh filter is placed between them
>depending on model, the guard either snaps or screws together into one piece with the filter in the middle
>the plunger screws into the filter guard to hold it in place

That's it, really. The filter itself can be metal, but the other pieces (excepting the plunger rod) should not be as they're not easily replaceable. Having a press pot with these specifications means you'll be able to replace the filter as needed and care for your pot more efficiently.
In Asian supermarkets in my area, pots like the one I've described can be had for as little as $8US, but you should expect to pay higher than $20.

To replace the mesh filter, you can buy a sheet of mesh, place it in between the pieces of the filter guard and cut it into place. Mesh comes in both plastic and metal. As the filter is meant to be replaces ever so often, it doesn't matter if it's metal or plastic that you use for it. Just buy a sheet of the cheapest food-safe mesh you can find for your filter replacements.

Hope this helps.

I just use cheap glass ones. I have a little neoprene jacket that I put on them to keep them warm. It's fun to play dress up with your coffeepot. In a totally manly way, of course.

>not easily replaceable
And close to impossible to clean of rust, as well. Should have said that. The plunger rod is easily cleaned of rust so it doesn't matter much. The filter gets replaced every now and again, so that doesn't matter much, either.

so i should pore my boiling water in plastic

That isn't what "pore" means, user. The education you "payed" for doesn't seem to have done much for you.

Um, user...

First of all, you press using an air bubble. Said bubble happily presses the oil down through the filter, just as it does the coffee.

Second, that's widely cited as a potential problem with the aeropress in coffee wanker circles. That's where the inverted aeropress extraction technique comes from, and the recommended use of metal filters that don't absorb so much of the oil, and various other techniques of retaining the small amount of crema that carries all of the fat soluable flavour elements. The purported point of all this is to extract even more oil than a French press or aeropress normally would.

But please, carry on living in your autistic bubble. Tell me where the crema touched you, user.

im not buying an aeropress

>Said bubble happily presses the oil down through the filter
Except that doesn't happen at all
>That's where the inverted
And that's why inverted is shit
>the recommended use of metal
Recoommended by the same tards who think oil slicks belong in coffee
>crema
That isn't what that word means
>The purported point of
That isn't what "purported" means
>autistic
That word means I won the argument, enjoy your garbage coffee

>i have no argument and i know it
>the post

Damn that's a slick recycling box

That's the biggest reason I am also looking into getting one

Regardless of the toxicity, all coffee made with boiling water in plastic just tastes so unignorably disgusting

He's right and you are a clueless dumbfuck.

This is the dumbest fucking post I've read in a long time.

Just stop typing nigga.

>What do look for when buying a french press?
Buy the size that suits your usage. They don't stay hot for long, so you might have to nuke your 2nd or 3rd cup to warm it up again.

If you buy a small individual sized one in a plastic sleeve. You can microwave in the sleeve to heat your water in one step. I heat my fridge tap filtered water in a glass pyrex in the microwave because 1) it measures and 2) I have the right timer down for the size now.

You need to grind your own beans for french press or buy them somewhere that does a coarser grind, or you'll end up with a lot of coffee grounds that are too fine for the mess, and you get a bit of sludge in the bottom of your glass. It can add to bitterness but doesn't bother me, just saying.