Caught a cold from one of my students so I figure today's as good a day as any to try some soup recipes

Caught a cold from one of my students so I figure today's as good a day as any to try some soup recipes.

So far I'm thinking chicken soup with barley, ginger, culantro, fennel and carrot. Any suggestions/tips?

I always get sick when I get near the little bastards too, why are kids so dirty?

Add garlic, onion and some hot peppers. Use a good quality chicken stock, preferably homemade.

Sounds delicious.

Stop sleeping with your students

yeah leave the fucking cilantro out

Assuming you have a food processor, make a tomato basil and some grilled cheese with fresh bread.

Super simple comfort food done correctly is what a sick person needs.

ginger,fennel,cilantro sounds real nasty for a soup

OK OP I got you
take a whole chicken
some farmers chicken if you can, or organic
commodity chicken sucks and having some chicken that's outside occasionally is really helpful for this

break it down into the following pieces

breast
leg quarters
wings
bones
skin/fat

put the breasts and leg quarters in the fridge
render the skin/fat, probably with onions
you can do it with water and not have to watch it so closely, but you might have to add more a few times to fully render
paint bones with fat or just oil if you don't feel like waiting,
roast it in the oven with the wings and any other chicken scrap that isn't fatty
take it out when brown, put it in a pot and cover with water
cut mirepoix (whats that) its 2 parts onion one part carrot one part celery
mix it with fat and roast that too
give it some color, and add that to your stock pot a couple hours in
skim the fat/scum, don't stir

after 5-6 hours, it should be done. remove the bones, strain it. roast whatever veg you're going to put in it, add your barley or whatever, sear your thighs and breast, cook them however you feel like it. since you have the fat i suggest cooking all of this in that, and doing it all seperately, adding to your stock at pretty much al dente. let it all simmer together, season it, do what you gotta do. i like ginger in my chicken soup, when i'm sick i like it spicy too so i'd add some roasted thai peppers . chicken soup is literally just chicken stock with stuff in it, so you can adjust it to be much better.

personally, next time i get sick i'm going to make a chicken and potato leek, with confit thighs added as an after thought, and ginger/cilantro/pepper purees on top

drop the ginger and cilantro, add onion, garlic, and thyme

I respect your choice of fennel

culantro =/= cilantro

don't mind the passportless flyovers, i tsounds pretty good

where's the acid gonna come from though? lemon?

Was thinking onion & a bit of lemon, yeah

Other than the chicken meat and skin nutrition and luscious gelatin from the bone marrow, the healthy parts of chicken soup will be the anti microbial nature of garlic and fresh chilies, the antimucous thinning of snot qualities from onions, ginger has the immune boosting thing. There's some thought the substance P is used up from heat from chilies, so maybe some pain management and blood thinning aspects. Citrus cuts the snot and congestion if in the throat, and provides some vitamin C (needed it before you got sick really). Boost your metabolism, energy and healing by fueling up the body but having easy digestion at the same time. Toss down a multivitamin anyway. The rest is simply flavor you might enjoy, or the soothing nature of warm soup that steams out your sinuses while you enjoy it.

I like to go mexican or asian when I do the sick person's soup, squeeze of lime, lots of fried dried chilies and cilantro. But, I also cook up a whole chicken from my freezer in my pressure cooker and will open up a box of matzo ball mix. Only thing it needs is a hit of dill when I'm done.

is that you jeff?

>Any suggestions/tips?
Kill yourself

Chicken Noodle. The chicken in Campbell's chicken noodle comes from chicken feet.

Turned out breddy gud. Settled on fennel, carrot, garlic, minced chiles, culantro, chicken, onion, lemon juice, rosemary, thyme, bayleaf, ginger, coriander seed, and barley. Would cook again.

>mexican or asian
Word.

Feel better user! Glad your soup turned out delicious.

I miss the cuban and other hispanic restaurants where I live now. I used to be able to be lazy and get a ajiaco soup or chicken noodle with lime to fix me up. I don't even have pho like I had when I lived in VA everywhere. I do however have some greek and italian restaurants, and I love their avogolemono and stracciatella, which is luscious with fresh rolls and sympathetic waitress bored and chatty. I haven't been sick this past year. I blame the lack of mold in my current workplace, haha.

>Any suggestions/tips?
Stop fucking your students

Oh, I see. My bad

Eat at least 2 cloves of raw garlic a day, will cut cold in half.
Chew it up real quick mashed between some other food as you want the allicin that's only released via crushing of garlic.