What the fuck is the point of """"""poetry"""""" that doesn't follow rhyme and meter?

What the fuck is the point of """"""poetry"""""" that doesn't follow rhyme and meter?

so ethnic people can participate

this

Rhyme is the invention of a barbarous age.
Don't fall for it, meter is far more important.

Poetry without rhyme and/or meter can be good, but it absolutely must have some kind of structure. Structure is what makes poetry poetry in a lot of ways.

The issue isn't lack of rhyme or meter, its abuse of it. There's plenty of shitty formulaic poetry. The issue with """free verse""" poetry is that people with no skill or sense have latched onto it. They write out paragraphs of prose and call it poetry to feel cool. They slap down random phrases in short, jumpy structure and label it poetry.

Look at T.S. Eliot. He uses strange meter and odd rhyming patterns to great effect. He was a master of traditional poetry forms and so could rise above them.

You're talking about people who read Frost and Poe once and decided they liked it. Upon figuring out it was hard to make good poetry, they turned to contemporary and modern poetry with its lack of traditional structure and thought "Hey, you can write random shit, say its meaningful and call it poetry? I can do that!"

Poetry is very nearly dead anyways. You either have snobs who refuse anything but classical style or slobs who try to mimic contemporary poets without any of the skill.

Either way you lose.

hehe it's because non-whites struggle with our tradition of REAL literature and poetry. They are simply inferior to us

Poetry takes different forms, my dude. The poetic expression is the core aspect, then verse, then beyond that all form is fair game.

They are.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Nice user.

made me laugh out loud on the train

Exactly

Daily reminder that /pol/ is satire. If anyone unironically believes in this nonsense, then you are /pol/eb

Whatever makes you sleep at night user

What's the point of aetificially limting yourself from starting new paragraphs midsentence in prose?

*artificially

well i see your point but the point of poetry is not rhyme and meter. so if you can attain that point by other means, then is is still poetry.

this.

prosody is what counts. actually, rhyme is a lesser form that tries to make explicit what only works when implicit.

Even though one of these is obvious bait, you're complete fucking idiots who've probably never read any non-Western poetry (this includes the white canon and the works of Western people of colour).

Persian poetry makes a fucking fetish of form. Even their prose rhymes. Ghazals, rubais, masnavs, they're all pure form. Stupid, senseless free verse isn't just done by people of colour, there are plenty of shitty white postmodern guff-peddlers. Read some Hafez, Zakani, Nizami, Sa'adi, Rumi and Farrokhzhad

*excludes the white canon...I'm a fucking idiot

Could someone explain to me what's wrong with free verse?

read the thread

I did. All I learned is that Veeky Forums is full of try hards.

Reminder that biblical poetry is non metrical and that OP is a blasphemer.

Who is Walt Whitman guys?

>things plebs say

Is it actually? That might be fun to join in on desu

Iranians are Caucasian Indo-Europeans...

>rhyme
oiamtriggered

Let's turn to John Milton:
>The Measure is English Heroic Verse without Rime, as that of Homer in Greek, and Virgil in Latin; Rhime being no necessary Adjunct or true Ornament of Poem or good Verse, in longer Works especially, but the Invention of a barbarous Age, to set off wretched matter and lame Meeter; grac't indeed since by the use of some famous modern Poets, carried away by Custom, but much to thir own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things otherwise, and for the most part worse then else they would have exprest them. Not without cause therefore some both Italian, and Spanish Poets of prime note have rejected Rhime both in longer and shorter Works, as have also long since our best English Tragedies, as a thing of itself, to all judicious ears, triveal, and of no true musical delight; which consists onely in apt Numbers, fit quantity of Syllables, and the sense variously drawn out from one Verse into another, not in the jingling sound of like endings, a fault avoyded by the learned Ancients both in Poetry and all good Oratory. This neglect then of Rhime so little is to be taken for a defect, though it may seem so perhaps to vulgar Readers, that it rather is to be esteem'd an example set, the first in English, of ancient liberty recover'd to heroic Poem from the troublesom and modern bondage of Rimeing.

it's easy to write and get acclaim for.

why bother with characters, plot, or more than a few words of description when you can jack off on the page and get in the paris review for it (assuming you have connections)?

i honestly have no fucking clue

It's ok, user, I'm a pleb no one should listen to too.

Daily reminder that the most profound authors and writers throughout world history were EUROPEAN.
GTFO Ahmed.

FACT: Europeans are the most powerful race

it's true

very solid reasoning desu