Thoughts on Nobel laureate Toni Morrison?

Thoughts on Nobel laureate Toni Morrison?

Even Harold Bloom endorses her

>β€œIn fact her maturity and blood kinship converted her passion to fever, so it was more affliction than affection. It literally knocked her down at night, and raised her up in the morning, for when she dragged herself off to bed, having spent another day without his presence, her heart beat like a gloved fist against her ribs. And in the morning, long before she was fully awake, she felt a longing so bitter and tight it yanked her out of a sleep swept clean of dreams.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F4vIGvKpT1c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

catholics [small "c"] should be rounded up and executed.

Genuinely great even though she's a black woman meme on Veeky Forums. Beloved gets too much attention. Her ideas got exhausted in her later years.

swag

I've only read Song of Solomon which was legitimately good. You won't get objective reaction because it's Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums these days has been infiltrated by alt right virgins but oh well.

Song of Solomon is a masterpiece

>GAS THE PROTESTANTS
>30-YEAR WAR NOW

Although her novels typically concentrate on black women, Morrison does not identify her works as feminist. When asked in a 1998 interview "Why distance oneself from feminism?" she replied: "In order to be as free as I possibly can, in my own imagination, I can't take positions that are closed. Everything I've ever done, in the writing world, has been to expand articulation, rather than to close it, to open doors, sometimes, not even closing the book – leaving the endings open for reinterpretation, revisitation, a little ambiguity." She went on to state that she thought it "off-putting to some readers, who may feel that I'm involved in writing some kind of feminist tract. I don't subscribe to patriarchy, and I don't think it should be substituted with matriarchy. I think it's a question of equitable access, and opening doors to all sorts of things." Critics, however, have referred to her body of work as exemplifying characteristics of "postmodern feminism" by "altering Euro-American dichotomies by rewriting a history written by mainstream historians" and by her usage of shifting narration in Beloved and Paradise.

based

Great writer

she's a fucking ace.

WE

>*I
>HAVEN'T
>READ
>HER
is that where you were going with that?

>tfw you will never be so good at prose that people mistake you for a prose stylist over content writer
that is a problem I would love to have and Morrison deserves to have it. she's unironically great.

Easily top 5 greatest living American writer. Arguably the greatest.

reading Beloved right now and It's good, but sometimes she goes into these endless repeating similies and analogies and it gets grating. The magical realism aspect is handled well and not super blatant.

also not everythng is explained and she leaves you to figure things out on your own as you go along. It's pretty good for my first book by her.

Fuck off with this shit meme. You aren't on /int/ or whatever retard board you're from.

DeLillo

jew

She's Haruki Murakami-tier.

How have you come to this conclusion?

respect.

Ah yes, Tony Maury's On. It was a wintry summer in Robocop when her scrumptious ficctionellas first hit me like a bell hook I believe my vavorite passage is
>I'M BLACK YALL AND I'M BLACK YALL AND I'M BLIGGIDY BLACK AND IM BLACK YALL

Nobel Schmobel , what we need in this country is another

*smokes New York Times *

youtube.com/watch?v=F4vIGvKpT1c

Watch the whole video

>Race is a difficult and complicated subject
No it isn't, you're just too stupid for actually difficult and complicated ideas so you settle for something accessible and easy with unfalsifiable theories

>"Like, what is BLACKness, man? Who, like, am I? Ain't I a woman? Or ain't I not?"
>*refreshes Slate*
>*listens contemplatively to Kendrick Lamar*

What does this have to do with Toni Morrison?

Magic realism centered around the same handful of themes. They just remind me of each other. Not saying it's a good or bad thing. They're on the same level and use a very similar style. What do you think?

Who are you talking to

She's a boring writer who fails to speak to my white male perspective

>boring
Subjective

Whoever happens to read my post? You, dumbass?

>Magic realism centered around the same handful of themes.

Reductionism.

There is absolutely no need to ever state this in a discussion about art. It's my subjective opinion that you're a great big retard for doing this

And she's right!

There is a need when you posture your opinion as authoritative.

>There is a need when you posture your opinion as authoritative.
You forgot to include any admission of subjectivity in this post. Please do not "posture your opinions as authoritative" like this ever again, you great big retard (subjectively speaking, I mean)

Derivative

Hypocritical
Oblivious
Great big retard

That's subjective

i don't think she is on his 'tier' as i think she's amazing while Murakami is more like 'pretty good' but i agree that they remind me of each other. like i see a lot of the same imagery used even.

ill give a contrary opinion (used to be the majority opinion here lel) and say she's awful. song of solomon was one of the worst books i've ever read.

this has absolutely nothing to do with identity politics/alt right/whatever, i'm as anti-/pol/ as they come.

>"Even Harold Bloom endorses her!"
>Veeky Forums as a collective gasps

Great opinion. I like how you don't support a single thing with a meaningful argument. 10/10

op asked for thoughts not a thesis

she just whines about >muh racism with super heavy handed symbolism. there's nothing subtle about it. lee harper tier, arguably worse.