Let's say I don't believe the world is round. How can you prove the world is round to me?

Let's say I don't believe the world is round. How can you prove the world is round to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/view/l679prcg097ny8u/200_Proofs_Earth_is_Not_a_Spinning_Ball!.pdf
youtu.be/xSz2xzIyCzI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can't disprove someone's belief.

Kick you in the balls.
Then when you're down, keep kicking them until you explain to us why it's round.

several ways. the easiest is to watch a sunrise or sunset.

Sunrises go from night (no sunlight) to blue to red.
Sunsets go from red to blue to night (no sunlight).

This behavior is because the light travelling from the sun is refracted by an atmosphere, it curves around the earth's circumference, blue light bends more so you see the blues first in the morning and last at night.

If the Earth were flat you would not see this on a horizon, it would simply go from light to dark the moment the sun dipped below view.

The only explanation for red-orange-gold-blue sunsets and blue-gold-orange-red sunrises is that the earth is a globe and light from the sun is bent by the surface of the planet (and the atmosphere which conforms to the same shape as the surface).

Since we know sunrises and sunsets follow the same colour pattern worldwide, you can easily prove the same effect is happening everywhere, so you must be on a ball.

>How can you prove the world is round to me?
Why would I want to?
I would much rather watch you wallow in the mire of your ignorance

[right click]
[hide thread]

The daily Shitposts continue

At night you can't see the North Star in the southern hemisphere nor the Southern cross in the Northern. It is impossible for a flat/dome earth to achieve this.

I don't think many of us would bother, because past experience has taught us that flat earthers reject all arguments, calling them fake photoshopped lies

I wouldn't. In order for a person to believe that the world is not round, they must already be so committed to ignoring evidence that they're certainly not going to listen to me.

I like the way this guy thinks.

afaik, earth is a torus, pic related

I would not atempt it, as the Earth being as globe is more than amply proved. Sine you are the one making an extraordinary claim that goes against everything that is known about the nature of the Earth, I would instead ask you to prove your claim, the burden of proof lying with you.

I would then laugh at you a lot.

Had not heard that one before. Ingenious.

I would also note that, under the standard model of a flat WEarth that you see these days, the sun is small and circles above the flat Earth continuously. In that model, the sun would never sink below the horizon at all, but, given that night eventually come, it would simply dwindle into the distance, getting smaller and smaller in the sky, until it disappears from view.

I would say you should just go visit an ocean coast, it's fairly obvious.

You'd also never get this phenomenon, where the sun, having dropped below the horizon for the observer, illuminates the underside of clouds.

Anybody have that picture where some guy debunks flat earth on a whiteboard using 9th grade trig?

fpbp

easiest way is to walk a few km north, take a 90 deg turn, walk the same km, take a 90 degree turn and walk again the same km. Compare distance from original position a) in reality and b) in the flat case, you'll find different results

Launch you into orbit.

Send you into space is the easiest way.

I would think local variations in geography like slight hills and shit would drown out any effect of the Earth's overall curvature.

Ever notice how long flight paths are curved? Airlines want flights to be as direct and quick as possible.
Less time in the air = more trips = more profit.

Flight paths are curved on maps because of the curvature of the Earth.
To demonstrate pick a flight path on the related pic. Bring a piece of string to your local library and hold it tightly to the departure and arrival cities. Your string should match up perfectly to the curved flight paths in the pic.

Eg. New York to Paris flies right over Nova Scotia and Ireland even though they're not directly between them on the map.

Every flight curves away from the equator because that's the fattest part of the planet!

Samefag here with an even more extreme example in related pic.
Why would every flight from LA to London go over Greenland if not for the spherical shape of Earth?

>Your string should match up perfectly to the curved flight paths in the pic.

Not always perfectly, if the routes marked on the map are the routes flown -- as sometimes other factors influence routes. such as avoiding politically problematic areas or prevailing winds aloft.

So somebody trying it, don't freak out if the path is slightly off. The overall point he made its correct.

>Every flight curves away from the equator because that's the fattest part of the planet!

No, every line curves away from the equator because it is the center-line of the projection. And of course, a route following the equator (say from Changi in Singapore to Quito, Ecuador) would not curve away from it visibly, as each airport is within a few kilometers of the equator and would appear on it on any reasonably scaled map/..

>And of course, a route following the equator (say from Changi in Singapore to Quito, Ecuador) would not curve away from it visibly, as each airport is within a few kilometers of the equator and would appear on it on any reasonably scaled map/..

Flights going exactly north-south would also not curve on that map projection, as the great circle route there has been straightened by the projection.

Both good corrections- thanks for the input.

>Not always perfectly
Don't use dental floss on a life-sized globe and the point will still be illustrated XD

>because it is the center-line
I shouldn't have said every. Stupid generalization.

>Flights going exactly north-south
They would still have a VERY slight curve but that has more to do with the rotation of the Earth and the jet stream produced by it and, you're right, not at all by the curvature of the Earth.

Maps. 2D maps will always be distorted and 3D globes won't be and you can do the math right there without dismissals of evidence like empirical observation. I've seen a lot of science denial relying on the misunderstanding of basic principles of physics, but it would be a lot harder to deny math.

Only you can prove it to yourself. No one's going to solve your problems. Only give you their opinion, which you can accept or reject.

TOPology KEK

I can invite you into my sailing boat and sail around the world with you. We would have fun adventures and become best friends forever.

>Replying to this

I thought we were smart

If the world is flat, why aren't the oceans drained as they fall off the edge?

Long exposure photography of the night sky. Or just spending a night outside and logging the positions of stars, really. Curiously enough, I never get flat earthers to reply to me when I post this.

ice wall

Antartica is a ring of ice that surrounds the edge of the world. This is also why they say governments control access to Antartica so heavily so that nobody will figure it out. Not actually a flat-earther or anything just happen to be somewhat familiar with their arguments. I have a link to a mediafire with a document of "200 proofs the earth is flat"
link: mediafire.com/view/l679prcg097ny8u/200_Proofs_Earth_is_Not_a_Spinning_Ball!.pdf
>pic unrelated

Global warming is even more dangerous than I thought

i suppose you could have a flat earth with a spherical atmosphere

lol no

What about the North Pole then?
Does it not exist along with Santa Clause?

no its special ice at really really low pressure so temperture doesnt effect it

Why is it in low pressure?

Put you on a rocket ship into outer space until you can see the entire earth from orbit, then fly you into the moon where you'll crash and die so we don't have to deal with another flat-earth believer anymore.

because God made it so it wouldnt melt and the sea escaped

Of course you could. But we don't.

There wouldn't be opposite seasons in each half of the Earth. (?)

You can get rich and get on a rocket into orbit. Then, look out the window and see the round earth. You can't really prove it any other way besides watching ships disappear into the horizon deck first, sail last (looking at the shadows cast in different parts of the world at the same time does not definitively prove that the world is round because its based on the assumption that light rays shining at the earth are all parallel to one another; this is true because the sun is so much larger than the earth, but considering the fact that you do not automatically accept that gravity would pull a flat earth into a round earth, you would not be swayed by the physics proving the sun is far away and gigantic; an alternative explanation for the differences in shadows could be a very small sun that is close to the earth, so the shadows proof is not sufficient)

FLAT EARTH CONFIRMED

NORMIES BTFOOOOOOOOOO

If the world was flat, when the earth eclipses the moon, you'd get an oval across the moon's surface, with the north and south poles being visible despite the eclipse. The fact that when the Earth eclipses the moon, the moon disappears from view, is proof that the Earth is round.

you can go watch a boat and see how it slowly looks like its going down (though you must use a telescope to notice change since our eyes cant really see very far)

aaaand that's why you should never bother arguing with flat earth believers

explain how god made the ice not to melt

you would need another explanation now about how the dome is held up, what it's made of, how it tricks the perspective of the viewer from different continents to make it always appear like a spherical surface, etc.

The dome model would need a very large flat plane, and a dome to surround it, and for us to live in the middle and all of the continents to be grouped in that middle, so we're talking a construction the size of 100,000 kilometers. You could fly a remote controlled plane towards one edge of the dome and eventually hit it if it had enough fuel on board. Seems like having to make up extra things to keep the Earth flat is just another way of denying evidence presented to you.

north pole is the center of flat earth

>round maps produce accurate measurements
How can this possibly be inadequet proof

>Let's say I don't believe
Let's say nobody gives a shit what you believe.

This is embarrassingly wrong.

Earth is just a social-construct.

It all makes sense now.

Opinion does not equal Fact nor Proof

You can observe spherical objects rotating in space. Why would you assume the earth is flat.

If you go to a high enough mountain you can observe the curvature of the earth.

that's horribly wrong, go look up rayleigh scattering. the refractive index of air is approximately the same as that of a vacuum

>Antartica is a ring of ice that surrounds the edge of the world.

What happens when someone flies over the south pole? Are they magically transported by the divine will of god from one side of the planet to the other? If matter can magically transport from one side to the other, then so can light, and if light can do this, then the earth would look like sphere.

>gravity
>minimum surface energy

Pls stop being stupid

There would be a slight error. But I think the user you're replying to is referencing that Greek mathematician who was able to calculate the earth's diameter with an error of like 200 miles over 2000 years ago

satellite images?

>that's horribly wrong
It's not. It's the reason why the sky is blue during the day and red on sunrise/sunset.

Isn't it minimum volume energy?
cuz gravity>cohesion?

The idea still works though. The only reason the sky changes color (blue/red) is because the sun literally goes down (from your perspective). The only way this works in combination with different timezones is if the earth is a sphere.

So Einstein, how has nobody fallen off of the planet in over 2000 years of recorded history? How come arctic explorers haven't found the very edge of the planet? You don't need science or maths to explain this question, use your fucking brain

>how has nobody fallen off the planet
Lies

prove it

name one thing you believe in, user

This is why governments don't let people fly over the south pole. It's a giant conspiracy by TPTB.

I believe in nothing. You believe you can't disprove others' beliefs.

>I believe in nothing
You mean you believe I believe that one can't disprove someone else's beliefs. I have proven that you do believe in something. Do you?

believe it

With an appeal to the top of your head with a sledgehammer.

special ice at really really low pressure so temperture doesnt effect it

The guy measuring shadows? That was a different trick.

Why the fuck should I prove you anything? go to the sea and look at ships

But u can see mt everest and kill-a-man-jar-o both from teh sears tower!
Nessie told me

pics or it didn't happen

NVM I JUST SAW TEH ICE WALL FROM ISENGARD!!!
TRUMP IS KING IN THE NORTH
BUILD A WALL!!!

In many, many places on Earth, the deviations from a flat surface over the area of a few kilometers that is caused by surface topography (hills an shit) is going to be way greater than the deviation caused by the average curvature of the roughly-spherical Earth at that same scale.

I don't care.

Don't evenneed a boat.

Here is a picture of a portion of the Chicago skyline, showing 3 of Chicago's tallest buildings. In order from left to right: Willis Tower, Aon Center, Trump Tower, taken from New Buffalo, MI (40 miles away)

Here's roughly what they'd look like without the curve of the Earth in the way

aROUND the world in 60 days

youtu.be/xSz2xzIyCzI

Video taken aboard commercial flight from Sydney the Johannesburg. Around 1:10, you see the onboard GPS, showing the plane passing just off the edge of Antarctica, followed by shots out the window of the ice and shit.... But look at the fat Earth model -- this flight would go nowhere near Antarctica if the Earth was flat, nor any other are where there'd be masses of sea ice.. So if it was important enough for me to convince you, or if you were willing to spring for tickets, we could take that flight and let you see for yourself.

...on a globe, though...

Ok lads. I'm convinced the earth is probably not flat, but I still don't believe it is round. What if it is the shape of a parabola?

You honestly believe that every academic institute in the world teaches a false view of physics that then has to be completely ignored when people graduate and go work for actual space programmes?

And that every single one of these people can be trusted to keep it a secret?

Do you also believe the universe rotates with Earth as its center?

you could have a 1 sheet paraboloid, with the arctic and antartic being endless wastelands

dont need to, but youre welcome to send me your selfies from the four corners of the world

cool

if the water keeps pouring down the edge then where does new water come from?

From liberal tears.

This is a serious question. Do you?