Why couldn't you pass the light speed limit using simple mathematical mechanics like this?

Why couldn't you pass the light speed limit using simple mathematical mechanics like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_paradox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Energy required is infinitely high

Because the gears themselves wouldn't be able to handle the torque while moving at the speed of light. . . they'd literally disintegrate.

Time slows down as you approach speed of light so you cant go speed of light retard

Because the acutal speed of the outer surface of the two gears is the same. It's the number of rotations that they do is different.

Not answering the question retard

>An engineer tries to understand physics: the thread

>Hurr durr engineers
Implying everybody isnt constantly shitposting about the speed of light regardless of major

it takes increasing amounts of energy to get incremental gains in speed as you approach c. and the cog would have so much energy it would not retain it's form.

Like me, an engineer would have attached a dildo at the extremity of the second gear

Friction gets insanely high when the energy levels are rising. Given that energy is roughly proportionate the square of the speed, you'd get energy levels impossibly high, and your system would disintegrate.

The question is flawed. You would never get to 10% the speed of light while remaining a rigid body.
It's akin to asking, "if I jump off the ground going twice the speed of light, why can't I go faster than light? Checkmate"

>.1%
so 1/1000?

t. triggered engineer

>0.1% x 10 = 100%
Wew

>Engineer
Sounds more like a math kid trying to talk shop with engis and physicists.

Protip, OP: Don't bother.

Why does moving at the speed of light require so much energy? What is stopping you from reaching it in space. Dark matter friction?

Your mass increases when your velocity does.
The energy required to accelerate increases also.

The only way to counteract that is to have a null mass, and only photons have been observed to posses such.

Your mass increases in the same ratio your total weight is declining. Energy used to create momentum, in space, should not require more energy when you increase velocity. You dont slow down in space, because there is nothing stopping you.

Every time someone asks an abstract physical/mathematical question, people around lose their shit to say that circumstances are wrongly set up (muh materials will break, muh takes too much energy to reach 10% of light speed).
The question is ABSTRACT and obviously you have to prove this autism wrong in the very core, not in something irrelevant.

Feels like they make these posts not to actually try to solve the problem, but to show everyone else that they can argue about such topics.

What is this fucking nonsense you've posted?

>nonsense

You mean you dont understand what I said. Why user?

OP wanna know how I know you're retarded?

Because you have the gears labelled the wrong way round.

This, assuming all the usual shit as with mechanics the problem here arises when the cog is being accelerated, the angular momentum becomes relativistic and then it can be shown that you would need infinite torque in the end to accelerate the system further

A

This

Special Relativity implies that objects "shrink" i.e there cannot be a rigid body.

Rigid bodies don't exist near the speed of light.

This one's better imo:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_paradox

because speed of light is smarter than engineering students

He sort of is.
Maybe not enough for you to understand, but he is.
Proper velocity would behave as the OPs picture, but when you account for time dilation, it's velocity will be lower than c.

This. There is not even a speed more than 0.10%C. Simple gear physics, and you fail this? SAD!

First off, the gear would be completely destroyed because of the constant acceleration. Second off, tidal forces would rip that to shreds instantly and it would fly off at some incredibly high speed (the shaft or whatever is going through it would immediately break as well, even at a much slower speed). Thirdly, any object going that fast would need to be incredibly strong (and therefore incredibly dense), making it cost a fuckton of energy even to get it close to 0.0001% the speed of light (without anything near it, in a perfect vacuum with nothing at all), Fourthly, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_paradox applies here.

Didn't deny it :^)

HEY..... HEY....... HEEEEEEEEEY

for every dipshit out there thinking that this isn't physically possible because it'd break or that mass expansion or friction would fucking limit this....

Tangential velocity and rotational velocity are not the fucking same.

On either gear, the fastest moving part is always were the gears touch. Nothing goes faster than that

GOD DAMMIT

FUUUUUCK

FUUUUUCK

i needed one more in there. wasn't quite finished.

0.10% * 10 = 1.00%???

But user...
You ARE light

but it takes time to disintegrate the gears

and if something moves faster the time gets slowed down
so you have to run it infinitely fast
and the time needed to disintegrate the gears would be infinite

>Rigid bodies don't exist near the speed of light.
This made me start thinking.
Is there a generalized assumption you can make for "rigid" bodies in relativity?
Like that they're bodies that don't deform from forces, but follow geodesics or something?
I need to study more relativity...

Kinetic energy travels at the speed of light

The question is basically equivalent to the "Suppose you have a 400 000 km long stick from the earth to moon. Would pushing it a little not travel faster than light?"-question.

The answer is no. It's not noticeable in real life because the scale is so small, but every displacement of a solid body is delayed by the speed of sound in that body. Pic related. Pushing a stick would propagate a pressure wave through the body which travels at the speed of sound, which is usually much, much slower than the speed of light.