What do you co/ck/s typically do with asparagus?

What do you co/ck/s typically do with asparagus?

It's finally on sale around here and I typically just roast or sautee it, but I'm thinking about pickling some. Any suggestions for the pickling solution? Most of the ones I've seen online appear to just be the basic salt, vinegar, garlic, pickling spice and maybe chili flakes.

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/220991/chef-johns-asparagus-souffle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tarragon is a great addition to pickling solutions and would go well with asparagus. I use it in pickling beets. I'm sure it would work because I've made asparagus omelettes that were delicious with tarragon.

Asparagus soufflé is part of my family's Easter table and that's really the only way they ever prepared it growing up.

I've also had it in Chinese food (chicken with asparagus being most notable) and as part of a soup (asparagus chowder). Once, someone I was with ordered it in a restaurant served in a saffron cream sauce over spaghetti. I hate saffron, so I didn't try it.

Barbecued/grilled is nice, I guess, but that can get old, I'd imagine.

As far as pickles, I've seen recipes with cinnamon, allspice and garlic in the brine. Seems weird, but maybe you'd like it.

Spargel, mon

That's only one I've ever had, they're a great addition to a Bloody Mary

I make a sauce together with chicken meat and pour them in these

I either roast it with olive oil and shallots, or lightly blanch it and then saute with olive oil, butter, and garlic.

PROTIP: Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds for a nutty crunch.

I typically saute it with chick or beef stock depending on the protein it's being plated with, however it makes for a great puree if you want to add color and flavor to a dish.

All around it's pretty fucking versatile; with a little olive oil that can easily slide into your anus.

Call me old fashioned, but I like going in dry...

I've heard they grill well if you lightly coat them with olive oil and salt.

I usually toss asparagus in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it in a 375F oven until it's pretty tender

Sometimes I will chop it into bits and saute it, sometimes with oil, until just tender but still crisp

Last I had it I made a sauce in the saute pan with adobo chilis and peach preserves and it was like a sweet and spicy deal, they're also really good with a fruit balsamic glaze with tarragon

Hollandaise is always a great bet as well. They go well in stir fry if you like that kind of thing.

I sautee it with mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon pepper.

They're great on the grill, it just hasn't been worth it for me to wheel it out and fire it up just for asparagus.

I chopped it into bits and used it in my eggs this morning, was breddy good. I'm not too big on sweet stuff, but the adobo chilis and peach preserves sounds like flavor town currency.

I think I have some mushrooms, I should slice some up and throw them in as well tonight

I'm not 100% sure 'soufflé' is the right word, but I know no other way to name the dish in English. The asparagus is sautéed in butter with shallots then sprinkled with flour and the heat is turned off. The asparagus is still cooked just long enough to completely hydrate all the flour, then the lot is folded into a mixture of egg yolks beaten with fresh-powdered black pepper and lots of shredded cheese.
Thereafter, the albumens, which have been beaten stiff, are folded in.
The mixtured is poured into a baking dish, topped with more cheese and shoved into the oven.

Proper soufflé is meant to have milk or cream in it, yeah? If so, then it's not quite a soufflé. Still good, though.

Breakfast frittata with 'gus and Parmesan.

Hmmm... by the looks of it a proper soufflé does have milk in it, but based on your description I don't know how else I would describe it either. Here's the recipe I initially compared it to when you mentioned it: allrecipes.com/recipe/220991/chef-johns-asparagus-souffle/

That's probably what I'm going to do tomorrow, with some turkey sausage.

Here's what I just pulled out of the oven, just wanted something quick and simple for tonight, but I still have another pound in the fridge. Forgot to throw sesame seeds on while it was baking, but put them on shortly after the photo and it was still a good addition.

It doesn't look like you trimmed the woody part off the bottom...

I got kind of sloppy on some of them and left a little too much on :|

Hmmm....

In the future, save them and make cream of asparagus soup.

I do that with broccoli also.

>on some of them
you make it sound like you chop each one individually... you aren't chopping each one individually are you, user?

Sautee them with garlic clives and olive oil. Cheap and extra crispy.

I like to put them in a risotto or put some hollandaise on them

Italian seasoning, garlic powder, white pepper, crisped up nice and blackened in a cast iron skillet. Add some shaved parmesan, lemon juice, and -most importantly- sea salt at the end. It's not the same if you don't use big crystals of salt, asparagus needs that extra salty crunch.