Why should a person slave away prime youth years of his one and only life in hope that at best he'll move up to the...

why should a person slave away prime youth years of his one and only life in hope that at best he'll move up to the upper middle class when there are highschool dropouts who are multi millionaires thanks to being self employed/ making good investments?

serious question

this question is in regards to learning STEM

STEM isnt that hard lol you still have plenty of time to have a social life and party while your in school just take adderal

Hmm. This doesn't sound like a serious question to me. More like something a 14 year old dropout would ask.

What else do you propose OP? That society is just gonna give you money so you can party it up, under the assumption that you will somehow pay it back in the future when you got a good job? Oh wait, that is exactly what is happening now already.

the question is how is a person supposed to be at peace with himself taking the STEM route knowing he won't ever be truly great or make mad money. you are going to work for someone else

Easy.

1.) Work for the feds
2.) Be an Academic

Because you don't do STEM simply to secure a nice house.

You do it because you think the world is a shit place and you want to make it slightly-less shit by combining your passion and creativity with the knowledge accumulated by wise men and women throughout history.

If that doesn't appeal to you, go be one of those self-employed millionaires or whatever the fuck

Money isn't the thing that makes you happy. All the millionaires and billionaires are after the power they gain through business without it the money is meaningless and unfulfilling. Happiness increases logarithmically with money from a certain point it doesn't matter how much money you have it won't give you more happiness. So it matters more to do something you find fulfilling than something that makes you more money but is unsatisfactory for you personally

Both paths have their risks. Schooling is a safer risk.

Wait for the insatiable collapse and Marxist revolution.

Something else:

How do you feel motivated to study STEM if you are not a genius? Knowing you can't contribute anything big to science?

Why should I work a job when there are highschool dropouts who just win the lottery and retire at 23?

Because it doesn't actually work like that just because you've decided it will.

>at best he'll move up to the upper middle class

People in the modern upper middle class live better than any king in history.

in terms of technology and longevity of life yes, but in most other aspects no.

also the "kings" of today's age are living even better

Saying "I don't want to play basketball with my friends because I'm not Michael Jordan" or "I'm not motivated to go to the gym because I'll never win Mr. Universe" sounds retarded.
And yet people think it's perfectly natural to say "What's the point of studying physics if I can't be Feynman?"

It's interesting. I'm not going to up and quit something I like because I'm not literally the best in the world.

If you stare into that cats eyes for a while, its pupils seem to get larger.

gym doesn't require nearly as much time and dedication as a STEM degree even if you take harsh training regimes. and the benefits are very significant. meanwhile there are people who tears themselves up a new asshole learning CS only to live in codemonkey hell

this is what i was talking about

>I don't want to play basketball with my friends because I'm not Michael Jordan

But playing basketball is fun.

>"I'm not motivated to go to the gym because I'll never win Mr. Universe"

But working out still gives you muscles.

>"What's the point of studying physics if I can't be Feynman?"

Physics are not fun. Also I am not sure the smarts from studying physics are as universal as muscles from exercise. With big muscles you can lift heavy things a lot easier. But will every intellectual task be a lot easier with a Ph.D in physics? Like are you going to be able to get a CS degree in less than a year? I doubt it...

>Physics are not fun
Why would you want to contribute something big to physics if you don't even like physics?

Maybe because you find the achievements important? Like what if you think space exploration is important yet you think all the physics and engineering stuff is boring? Isn't that possible?

>Go to university
>Have fun
>Slay pussy
>Get a degree
>Get a comfortable middle class job
>Better provide for me and mine
>Next generation repeats the process but with a better start

It's almost like you can enjoy your current life white investing in your future.

A few outliers don't mean that's a realistic expectation for the average person. Normal people have to work to survive, pay bills, etc. What's the alternative, homelessness? You could collect money from the government but we live in a monetary society.

It's fine to think space travel is fucking cool on a surface level.

What's retarded is saying
>I want to be regarded as a world-renowned genius engineer but I don't want to do any engineering because it's boring

Space travel is fundamentally engineering. You can't say you want to do meaningful work in the first but not the second.

So the only people who do science do so because they enjoy it? Personally I just can't imagine enjoying mathematics and physics. It baffles me how people are able to go into academia where there is not a lot of money and where progress is slow.

It's a question I wish more young people would ask themselves.

Can't find a job?

Start your own business. That's how people get rich.

[eqn] W^{h^y} i^s t^{h^{i^{s}}} o^n /^{s^{c^{i^{/}}}}? [/eqn]

>he fell for the "go into STEM to make the world a better place" meme

Tell this to every science teacher and adult that preaches STEM degrees are the only way to get a job and get rich in this age and not end up working at starbucks or mcdonalds.

space travel is a meme

Why do Americans equate university with job training?

I studied physics because I wanted to know about physics.

Studying mathematics and physics may not necessarily be fun, but for many, myself included, its a deeply satisfying, and (I use these term in its most secular, humanist sense) deeply spiritual, to literally learn how the universe works at a fundamental level and to understand it.

That point is $300,000/year actually.

>just take adderal
no. when I have more success in academics and life than you it'll be because I worked my ass off and earned it not because I took speed because I'm too weak willed and lazy to do it on my own volition

I sort of get the same satisfaction when it comes to human anatomy and physiology. Learning how the human body work and all the intricate little details that go into making a person a person is quite fascinating to me.
However, that's about the depths I'm willing to dive(Cell and some molecular lvl shit).

Lol, good luck

>why should a person slave away prime youth years of his one and only life in hope that at best he'll move up to the upper middle class when there are highschool dropouts who are multi millionaires thanks to being self employed/ making good investments?

Confirmation bias is strong with this one, it is.

>upper middle class

Shitty meme

Wanna know something?
You don't need to own a house
You don't need to own 4 cars
You don't need to have a 65 inch flatscreen in every shitter of your McMansion
You don't need to buy the newest iPhone every 6 months

So many retards try to amass as much money as possible and then blow it on the most useless shit ever created. And they don't even get to enjoy it because they need to work 12 hours a day to pay it all off

When you hear someone bitch about being worked like a dog to support their lifestyle take a step back and look at all the useless crap they're piling up around themselves

Reminds me when i went in someone's trailer park home and they had a 50 inch screen (in 2010) and a pool table.

>slave away their prime youth years

you could die in a car crash any time you go into a car

you could die at like 28 of cancer.

you could contract some illness from some bacteria and die within a few days.

stop acting like you're entitled to live to an old age.

>tfw partied a good amount, got a qt pi fiancée, 2 majors and a 3.9 gpa with no adderal

My dad makes less than half that and put my brother and I through college and has close to two million in the bank, so he can live off the interest when he retires. How would more money make him happier?

I do it cuz I like it fuck all of you

>Physics are not fun
debatable

don't study if you don't like it I don't give a fuck

Having a social life and taking adderal is for little pussy faggots like you.

Good post.
Not even being sarcastic or memeing

x9999

you're not going to give a single fuck about the money once you are dying.

That's the average but if you don't have kids you need a lot less I would think.

why not both?

you shouldn't be in STEM if you want to a multi millionaire you autist

you should start a business (ensure it's memey, like fucking startups making an app or something) and get good at investing/trading.

Because college isn't that hard? Just treat it like a job. You can't make money without working hard, even as a "high school drop out with smart investments".

I have a gf, and before that, I fucked plenty. I get plastered on weekends and lift weights after class.

I have a 3.7 gpa as a math major and many engineers I know just skate by on straight Cs and making sure they land an internship for the summer.

Yeah sometimes you have to work hard, sometimes you lose sleep, and get stressed out, but science and math are beautiful subjects, and it's satisfying to devote your full attention to mastery with a little hedonism on the side, instead of living the listless life of martial and physical pleasures.

In short; you should do it because otherwise you're a faggot

Because we pay $15-30k a year for it and it's for 4 years. With that kind of investment, we expect a return on the investment.

NB: I wish it wasn't like this. School should just be free

If you think people become mathematicians/scientists/engineers to purely make stacks, then I can't really help you. It is almost like you don't believe that someone can enjoy the process of learning a new subject, and slowly growing more comfortable with it overtime.

Because in countries like America and Japan the average person has no choice.

It's not like Africa or Central Asia where you can fuck off from society and escape from taxes and debt.

Have you read Rich Dad, Poor Dad?

>being this butthurt

Totally agree op. Someone tell me what's the opposite of tall poppy syndrome?

>defining your life based on the number of ((($))) you can accumulate
End yourself.

>I can do it
>I have no parents
>I'm Uzumaki Naruto DATTEBAYO

lel okay kid.

This just means you wasted a ton of potential, retard.

I used to feel frightened and scared that I'd wasted my life. 25, no degree, two dead-end first years of university (actual reasons, not dropout) and now moving to a new town to try again, begin at a different uni, and study fucking philosophy.

I have no idea what I want to do in the end. There are too many exciting options. But I know I love thought, and I want to learn more about it, maybe even get some tools to better understand myself. Maybe, just maybe, I'll find out that I want to do something different, study something more pragmatic and ROI-focused.

But now, I'm very much comfortable imagining for my adult and middle age life a base-level income from crafting and odd jobs, a toolshed with a slowly accumulating park of machines, a couple hundred thousand bees and a house far as fuck away from folk, in the part of the country still not experiencing the housing bubble.

I don't care if I don't end up a doctor or engineer or whatever. I care if I'm happy, and if I have what I need to create what I want, I'm happy.
I guess I'm lucky to not want much or something.

TL;DR: I'm a huge faggot, why am I even posting here, happiness is a state of mind, not a goal, and I wanna be a weirdo on some island in bumfuck nowhere.

you shouldnt, do something you enjoy and care about, only brainlets get stuck in dead end jobs that they hate

I wish this was a problem. If the cap is 300,000 then the point you're making is moot. Money is definitely tied to happiness when you're looking at a very average salary. Money is only meaningless to those who have it just like every other resource.

NTA, but the point is that money and happiness only show a clear correlation up to a certain PPP. That doesn't mean it won't make you happier after that, but it implies that the real benefits of "wealth for happiness' sake" are limited to around that figure. Unless of course you're an outlier who gets true joy from money itself, I don't know that.

Money is a means to an end. After the "magic number", whatever that is in local currency and culture (in Norway it's around 70000 USD per annum), the happiness money brings will be from the things you can do with it, build with it etc. The sense of financial security and lack of want, purchasing power etc, basically halts at that point. I don't think Bill Gates is happier than some electrician who makes a decent salary doing custom work BECAUSE he has money. I think he could be happier because he uses that money for the greater good.

I agree there's a difference in nuances, and not in true principle. You could argue potayto, potahto and I won't put up a fight.