Is this book even profound or thought provoking, or is it literally just word games and obscurity...

Is this book even profound or thought provoking, or is it literally just word games and obscurity? I listened to Terence McKenna's lecture about it, and his take on it seemed like more McKenna drug-addled bullshit. The whole "every day, Rome falls" shit seemed like a load of tosh. He seemed to be spouting a bunch of things that seemed deep at first but really didn't mean anything after further inspection.

why in the world would you listen to mckenna about anything?
iunnobout fw, it's probably both incredibly deep and ultimately an utter joke to fuck with you. who fucking knows, friend.

It's literally word games of questionable taste and idiosyncratic obscurity, brought to you by the untalented, uninteresting Mr. Joyce. The very honest expression of a mind that is not worth your time. A tour de force in shallow stupidity. The proto-model of the contemporary pseudo-artist. A pretentious effort. Nothing to make of its circumambient peripherisation. An affront on the intellectual confidence of the reading public. A disgraceful, arrogant insult to literary orthodoxy. The work of someone who has not spent enough time with Shakespeare.

pleb

I think McKenna actually derived many of his views about FW from Joseph Campbell's book Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake.

this.

I bloody hate people who slurp their spaghetti like that. I once kindly asked a couple to my left in quite the posh restaurant to stop doing it, which was overheard by some wiseacre behind them, who then mentioned "it was the proper Italian way to eat it". I wished to twist his eyeballs out with my fork but, alas, hadn't the balls to do so.

Pray, ye great minds, how many plays of Shakespeare Our Lord have ye read, and how many times? I more than a thousand lines know by heart. I can also read latin, and write in classical greek. Carpe diem.

I was born in Germany, raised in France, and graduated in China, my parents are swedish and spanish: I speak more than 7 languages fluently.

I by the age 21 finished by doctoral thesis in Cambridge on English Literature. I explored many things in it.

I am now 22 and have read the whole western canon.

By I don't mean to brag. It is just that your usage of the word "pleb" here seems to be a bit incorrect. Joyce had no discernible talent.

It's an acid trip; how important you think it is depends somewhat on how important you think tripping and fractals are. I also think it sounds really nice to listen to and I enjoy reading it.

pleb.

it ain't how much you know, friendo.

I'll bite, have you written anything? Are you one of those author roleplayers like the pynchposter who talked about the real identity of shakeshafte?

Is it not? It matters not I have written over fifty essays on modernist literature? Matters not I have translated la Comedia into four different languages? Matters not I am outsmarted Joyce, your Master?

Is it about being deep? Because everyone I've met has told me I'm the most profound, sensitive and sensible thinker they ever have met, including my professors.

So what is it that there is to it?

>plebbing this hard

So far, only academic papers, and some dozen novels and a few epics that are a bit too personal and erudite to be shared or published, or understood. But I'm working on a friendlier project: the novel that will revolutionise the world of Letters very soon.

if you don't know why we think you're a pleb, then maybe you're not as smart as you thought you were.

Jealously.

that's envy, pleb.

you're a pleb because you're peacocking in anonymity.

>He seemed to be spouting a bunch of things that seemed deep at first but really didn't mean anything after further inspection.

but that's every book,

> I can also read latin, and write in classical greek.
>Carpe diem
user, are you serious? You can't just throw in an obvious phrase to prove you know a bit of latin.

Y'all stop calling him a pleb, both Borges and Nabokov thought FW was shit. He's not a pleb, he just don't like the convolution.

More inportantly, what's the purpose in leaving out the apostrophe in the title?

pitiable

ram some ass and save your soul

He said joyce has no discernible talent. That screams pleb.

Man, if you're not trolling, you need to get laid as soon as possible.

Wait wait wait wait wait a moment
>Read again
>Joyce had no discernible talent
user, saying FW was shit is one thing. But you can't just diss Ulysses, that's autistic.

He not only needs to get laid he needs to spend, like, a month at a brothel

glad you've seen the light, fellow user.

A formless and dull mass of phony folklore, a cold pudding of a book. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. Detest it. A cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue hardly redeems the dreadful joviality of the folklore and the easy, too easy, allegory. Indifferent to it, as to all regional literature written in dialect. A tragic failure and a frightful bore.

This book is just funny prose poetry and Joyce was a failed poet who wrote prose because he didn't have a sense of concision

This, he was literally reading that book outloud
OP you are a retard

>as soon as possible
Plenty time to reproduce, I'm still 22

I don't get it.

Would it not be something of a beautiful work taken purely at its aesthetic (and impressionistic) value with the potential for, but wait theres more?

Holy...the amount of bait in this thread...

I
w an t
m o r e

The wake, was not Finnegans

The wake is Finnegan, Finnegan is wake

Funeral wake? Water wake? Awake?

Also Fin/fini again, finish/end again

I'm sure it would be if it was comprehensible. I know this because Joyce said he could have written it in a more traditional way.

man are you new here?
This is the ripest bait i've seen in a while

How can you read Finnegans Wake and not think it's hilarious

>Conventional

>Conventional

even Nabokov thought Finnegan's Wake was a piece of garbage

Are the only arguments against FW literally only
1. it's too hard, and I didn't get it, thus it's bad
2. Nabokov said so
?

That's fun and interesting and all, but that still doesn't explain why no apostrophe.

I like McKenna I would have ate shrooms with him like trying to read the wake
His talks are always fun
You are a hothead, OP. A lot of fags in this board and thread are too
Being a hothead doesnt give you more smart boy points it only makes you a hothead
And Finnegans Wake is a fun book

"Joyce removed the apostrophe in the title of his novel in order to suggest an active process in which a multiplicity of "Finnegans", that is, all members of humanity, fall and then wake and arise.

Thank you.

ur a joke kiddo, a cucked up wad, get dead

A man who wears a lace of thread around his neck?

What would you make of this?

the proper gassy, fat Italian gomba way of eating like an idiot

what a couple of try hard fuckoffs

>friendlier project
Can we have a little excerpt? I'm genuinely curious

An interesting factoid, the singular of spaghetti is spaghetto. And if that weren't enough, the singular of pepperoni is pepperono.

Your brain is all screwed up into your asshole. You need a good solid fuck to loosen it.

Salve, amice! Cur, miror, tam ψευδος es?

It is the most dense, stylized prose ever written. The beauty of the language is profound enough

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT MCKENNA!

Impressionism usually entails an earnest account of one's Subjective experience, not a Dadaist hodgepodge of zany whoopty doos.