Anybody read this thing...

Anybody read this thing? The idea of /ourguy/ writing a sequel to an obscure science-fiction novel sounds too strange to be true. I'm considering ordering a copy just because I don't think I'll be able to believe it until I see it.

Other urls found in this thread:

lrb.co.uk/v02/n13/marilyn-butler/blooms-gnovel
kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/harold-bloom/the-flight-to-lucifer/
violetapple.org.uk/notes/bloom_flighttolucifer.php
goodreads.com/book/show/650527.The_Flight_to_Lucifer
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_to_Lucifer
youtube.com/watch?v=aca4oAAhx1I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do it and report back. Apparently it was pretty good but bloom himself came to hate it

it's not that bad so far as fantasy goes

>The idea of /ourguy/ writing a sequel to an obscure science-fiction novel sounds too strange to be true.

Maybe you should have less assumptions stuck in your ass, shithead.

He didn't hate it, but Bloom realized it wasn't clear enough to be the "Gnostic indoctrinating Lord of the Rings in one novel", that he sought out to write.

I know for a fact from share your library threads that one person has this fucking book.

This blurb I found from google sounds surreal.

I need this. Any chance after Bloom dies we'll find unpublished work in his attic?

I hope so. I think he's said before he has an unfnished sequel up there, and I definitely know for a fact he's said he has un unfinished book about Freud up there.

Raid the whole house, who knows what shit is around there.

might be me (see attached)

it honestly wasn't great. it was basically a rehash of voyage to arcturus (not really a sequel) with gnostic names instead of the original Lindsay names, and very very heavy, in your face gnostic mythos and explanations/allegory/symbols.

i love papa bloom but this was not a great work. i gave it a 2/5 on goodreads :D

you wouldn't find any discernible talent on it, thats for sure lmao

I have a copy but I haven't read it.

oh to add voyage to Arcturus was a lot less obscure a few decades ago than today it was quite influential for many years

apparently going from critics it was really, really awful and pretentious, what are you talking about?

please cite sources instead of presenting new information that's relevant to the question in the op in the way you would present an opinion

From LRB
"As fiction, The Flight to Lucifer has practically nothing to recommend it. The plot, so important an element in fantasy, lacks suspense, pace and variety. Bloom’s style is as powerful as ever, but narrative, or at any rate allegorical narrative, gives him no opening for the dazzling insights and asides of his best criticism. Lucifer is not a fictional world for the imagination to linger in: the landscape is repellent, the light poor, and the native inhabitants both nasty and feeble – while the visitor Perscors, angry, murderous, exceedingly male, is about as empathetic as King Kong."

lrb.co.uk/v02/n13/marilyn-butler/blooms-gnovel

>kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/harold-bloom/the-flight-to-lucifer/
>"a close to unreadable exercise"
>violetapple.org.uk/notes/bloom_flighttolucifer.php
> As if this weren't enough, Bloom's writing, so poetic and passionate in his criticism, is bland, unevocative, and unemotive in his novel."
>goodreads.com/book/show/650527.The_Flight_to_Lucifer
>those reviews
The book is an old fart writing masturbatory New Age trash in the format of a Low Fantasy novel. There are like two good reviews that were obviously only a consequence of Bloom's influence as a critic and in academic circles.

that all may well be, but on the other hand:
>Bloom has stated that he does not like the novel and has disowned it, although it has received very positive reviews from other sources.[citation needed]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_to_Lucifer

lol without a source nice try Bloom

>en.m.wikipedia
>phoneposting

>Bloom has stated that he does not like the novel and has disowned it

Guess he realized it was turgid.

Honestly I can't take Bloom seriously after finding out he said Will Self is a good writer

You should consider reading Voyage to Arcturus if you haven't because it is pretty interesting.

Flight to Lucifer is total garbage. It's not even a sequel. He practically just played Madlibs with Arcturus and inserted explicit gnostic names into the story which was already blatantly gnostic. Bloom's rewrite adds nothing to the story and just makes it shitty.

I've read Arcturus, that's how I found out about Lucifer.

He dislikes it because every shit on it

Is Voyage to Arcturus worth reading?

Do you like Tales of the Dying Earth or Book of the New Sun? It feels kind of like a predecessor of those. It's sort of a weird adventure into a fantastical world and sort of the author dumping ideology on your head.

MUCH heavier on the ideology than Vance or Wolfe and not as interesting in the storytelling but still pretty cool. I don't feel like I wasted my time.

youtube.com/watch?v=aca4oAAhx1I

:D

Dhalgren did it better.