If CS research is for brainlets, why isn't Veeky Forums revolutionizing the field?

Veeky Forums continuously says:
>Computational geometry, Quantum computation, Abstract Algebra, Computational Number theory, Automata theory, Computational Complexity, Design & Analysis of Algorithms, Data Structures, Number theory, Combinatorics, Category theory (Type theory applications0, Cryptography, Graph theory, Information Theory, Machine Learning, Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computing and so on is for brainlets.

So if CS research is so brainlet tier (according to Veeky Forums) how come folks on sci aren't revolutionizing the field of CS research since it's for low IQ plebs?

Where are our jacob barnett triple integral geniuses at for CS in Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

cics.umass.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/Academics/bs-cs-tracking.pptx.pdf
bu.edu/academics/cas/programs/mathematics-statistics/ba-mathematics-computer-science/
usask.ca/programs/2016/colleges-schools/arts-science/computer-science/index.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

CS research isn't brainlet tier, CS majors are "largely" brainlet tier at 99% of schools where 99% of students just want to make vidya and get through 4 years barely able to write basic code

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Because this is the average CS "student" who can do such awesome things as code you a fizzbuzz (with GUI!) in Python after graduating with a "BSc in CS"

Also make this a tranny, and you have up to 75% of all CS graduates for the passed 10 years

I work part time as a programmer every day right after I leave my university (undergrad). If you care about why, I am saving up money so that when I get to my masters or doctorate I can live a lavish lifestyle instead of being another poor grad student.

I do things that are kinda complicated. There are very long and delicate algorithms I make and maintain on the daily. It's what I do. And from time to time my superior mathematician brain notices that there is something mathematically interesting about what I do and I get the urge of trying to write down an abstract idea of what I "mean" and then to explore it logically... and then I remember that I'd rather do number theory because I am not a fucking brainlet.

For example, there is an algorithm that you could describe as a function F that acts on non-numerical sets. The input is also a collection of objects, but let this input be arbitrary and call it x.

If you compute F(x) today then the result of F is very easy to predict and pretty obvious.

But imagine there is another function t, tied to time. And that if you try to compute F(x) "tomorrow" then F(x) tomorrow = F(t(x)) today and this result is a bit weirder and less predictable.

F(x) in two days becomes F(t(t(x)) today, which is more chaotic.

And the more "days" "pass" the more chaotic F becomes on x, and the fun part is that you usually reach like 900 iterations of t in what I do.

I once thought about setting up a mathematical definition, kinda like a rigorous version of what I just describe, and then find properties about these functions and the sets they operate in. I once even wrote down a little sketch of my "theory". This is probably some intersection between Chaos theory with CS but... it is too trivial. I simply cannot care enough to do "math" on it. Number Theory is waaaay more appealing. This algorithm shit is for total brainlets, man.

Maybe after I get too old to be useful at math I will come back to this.

Dude you need to lay off the memes for a little while

>I am saving up money so that when I get to my masters or doctorate I can live a lavish lifestyle instead of being another poor grad student.

I've saved like $25,000 over two years as a grad student and I am by no means living uncomfortably... when will this meme end? OR maybe you're looking to go to a school with a horrible stipend?

>when will this meme end? OR maybe you're looking to go to a school with a horrible stipend?

I already have funding from my current university for when I start grad school but it is not too good. It is not bad either but lets just say that I am used to expensive dinners.

And if I end up with more money than I am currently expecting then the money I am saving now will go instead towards getting a house.

I do somethings similar. When I program I see all these relationships with types and "see" richer structure behind my code. A lot of it leads to category theory. I'd like to formalize these ideas and do research in it.

What's holding me back a little is I don't want to have a PhD in CS theory and be unemployable, but guess as long as I have a strong applied background it won't matter. zI could get a PhD in this stuff and then work in industry.

Undergrads should just be banned from having opinions

goodness, this post

literally every good CSist i know did math and not CS.
CScucks eternally BTFO.

It depends on what you make of it. Yes there is a large cohort of CS people contributing to the increasing stigmatization of the field by playing vidya all day and looking like they can teleport behind you.

But then there are those who are actually working for the technological progression of mankind through specialized mentioned by op.

The major itself is hard as fuck and it's usually the stereotypes that are the ones bawling their eyes out because of all the work.

>I know
You don't know shit

>Abstract Algebra, Number theory, Combinatorics, Category theory (Type theory applications0, Cryptography, Graph theory, Numerical Analysis
None of these are CS topics.

There is alot of bleeding in between CS and Math. A lot of TCS professors I know work on purely math problems. However, a CS undergraduate won't offer you much in regards to TCS knowledge.

Don't those people not find jobs though? For a while I wanted to study Mech Eng but CS and Accounting were my other options. I've finally decided on CS. Hopefully the fact I look pretty normal, dress well, have pretty good social skills, don't want to design video games will put me ahead of the autists.

Plus I've looked at a bunch of schools that interest me and I noticed the better the school the more "normal" the people looked

Exactly, game devs are almost universally treated like shit in the video game industry because there is way to much supply for video game related jobs.
Moreover the lack of basic social skills among other softer skills is responsible for serious unemployment in CS, some people in this field are literally useless for anything other than vidya.

At my university there is a divide in the comp sci department, one side clear and obvious autists and the other normal people. Hopefully this divide will grow in the favour of the latter so the CS stigma can finally end.

>If you guys are so smart why arent you doing brainlet shit?

wew

I'm doing my master's thesis on graph theory and I'm a CS student, what that makes me?

Retarded for being A cs student at all

say the undergrad brainlet

Research in CS is probably the most competitive academic field there is right now. Brainlets need not apply

cics.umass.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/Academics/bs-cs-tracking.pptx.pdf

Looking at concentrations on this PDF, what are the most valuable ones and which are meme tier?

>cics.umass.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/Academics/bs-cs-tracking.pptx.pdf

Great course selection. I would take most of the theory courses and a few systems courses

>cics.umass.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/Academics/bs-cs-tracking.pptx.pdf

so out of those ten tracks what do think are most worth while?

i like theory / systems but just my preference.

How much is your stipend?

>For example, there is an algorithm that you could describe as a function F that acts on non-numerical sets. The input is also a collection of objects, but let this input be arbitrary and call it x.
>If you compute F(x) today then the result of F is very easy to predict and pretty obvious.
>But imagine there is another function t, tied to time. And that if you try to compute F(x) "tomorrow" then F(x) tomorrow = F(t(x)) today and this result is a bit weirder and less predictable.
>F(x) in two days becomes F(t(t(x)) today, which is more chaotic.
>And the more "days" "pass" the more chaotic F becomes on x, and the fun part is that you usually reach like 900 iterations of t in what I do.
>I once thought about setting up a mathematical definition, kinda like a rigorous version of what I just describe, and then find properties about these functions and the sets they operate in. I once even wrote down a little sketch of my "theory".

that's retarded and whatever ill formed idea you might have has certainly been thought of already. Fuck you, stay a programmer.

don't be mad cscuck. Have you met your diversity quotas for today? Ms Goldbergstein will stomp on your balls if you don't check your shitlord privilege.

But they have, user.
CS research is mostly done maths, physics and engineering grads. CS grads become programmers.

OP is saying CS is mathematics and that Veeky Forums in general misunderstands this. You agree with his point. Except not all CS grads become programmers. Plus; what is wrong with programming? I did a pure math degree and I absolutely love programming. I am more interested in the theory behind it than engineering things together, but I also derive a lot of pleasure in writing good, clean, optiomized code.

You seem to have the idea coding is for brianlets. Writing badly implemented code is for brainlets and most people like you that I come across fall in that category.

The rare few like me not only do pure math but do non-brainlet programming which gives me an edge over people with your thought process.

CS is either a glorified software engineering degree, or a watered-down maths degree. The former is extremely poorly-suited to research, and the latter is not optimally-suited to research.
Nothing wrong with programming, but it really doesn't need its own degree. Then again, if your CS course is a watered-down maths degree, why not just do maths?
t. BSc Physics, MSc Statistics, PhD Computer Science brainlet, here

Why are you so full of assumptions? I did BSc pure math. I didn't take watered down math courses. Now going for a PhD in CS.

Why are you so autistic? Try give a read of what I've actually written, rather than completely misinterpreting what I've said.

Most math degrees teach you basically nothing about theoretical CS. If you're interested in designing and analyzing algorithms and data structures, getting an entire math degree is mostly a waste of time even though you're basically a mathematician.

No seems like you are generalizing all CS undergrads are retarded and take waterdowned math classes, you never consider the possibility you can do CS + Math at the same time.

Also, you still talk shit about programming and make it seem as if you believe programming is a trivial pursuit. Since you're a graduate student in CS in sure you had to take a more advanced graduate level operating systems and compilers class. If so, then you'd know programming good code isn't trivial brainlet tier shit.

I think your narrow vision of CS is the scope of boot camp grads and web devs doing basic js shit.

With your ignorance I wouldn't be surprised if you suck at both CS and math lmao.

This would be an argument for why computer science should be taken as a postgraduate course, or in a major/minor combination. That being said, you will really struggle to find any CS course that "designs" or analyses algorithms, and data structures can be understood in a couple of weeks. Most CS topics can be learned in a couple of weeks. It might even be more appropriate to make CS a semi-vocational course and just award certificates for completing the theory component.

Seems like you still didn't read my comments.
Programming is quite easy, I've seen mature students, students from completely different backgrounds (midwifery, political science, psychology) take computer science masters and do in one year what it takes undergrads 3/4 years to do. That means the courses are too basic, not that the students are dumb. That being said, CS grads can STILL produce terrible code, so what good is a degree? CS students can take VASTLY different modules and end up with the same degree, so what is the core skillset expected of a CS grad?
CS undergraduate courses range from glorified software engineering degrees (which could be completed in a fraction of the time that they are) to watered-down mathematics degrees.
If you're going to work as a programmer, you don't need the degree. If you're going into research, you need a better degree.

>If you're going to work as a programmer, you don't need the degree
Many places require one.

Mainly because everyone has one. At Google, they look for an ability to program in the interview. Most places are looking for an ability to program in the interview, and they're not too concerned what your degree is.

you've never heard of an algorithms class?

Assisted in teaching one.

> CS grads can STILL produce terrible code
implying that everyone who graduates in any feel is going to be perfect at what they do...

>in any feel
>tfw

Bait

If the glorified software engineering degrees don't guarantee decent software engineers, you know you're in trouble.

Accurate bait.

cs undergrads do tend to be retarded. But cs is actually pretty cool.

School programs do not instill best practices. Academic code is bullshit. And Real jobs do not necessarily have the luxury of having decent software engineers either. Professors are often very removed from industry or old age has rotted their brains. A recent grad is by no means a decent software engineer. They have proven they can deal with school.

Yeah, I mean this is why I feel like maybe CS should be turned into a more vocational course:

How do you know if you're taking a glorified software engineering degree, or a watered-down maths degree?

Glorified software engineering:
Algorithms/data structures, web design, argumentation, IT, object oriented design, agile programming, networks, internet of things, internet programming, database systems, security, bsuiness intelligence, games programming, big data, user experience, assistive technology, management, etc...
Watered-down maths degree:
Mostly maths, but not as much maths/not as hard as a maths degree.

What if I take do a Mathematics and Computer Science degree (not a dual major)

Seems fine for a major/minor combo.

bu.edu/academics/cas/programs/mathematics-statistics/ba-mathematics-computer-science/
Its a combined major. I would probably just study math over CS but I don't think it would prepare me better then CS for working as a software developer/engineer

I'm not too familiar with the US education system, but this seems like an alright programme. If all you want to do is be a software engineer, then I'd have to say an applied computing degree would be easier, but mathematics is highly transferable, and will give you room to advance your career more, I think.

what is a applied computing? Never heard of it.

Well, a more applied computer science degree. One with fewer/no mathematical modules.

usask.ca/programs/2016/colleges-schools/arts-science/computer-science/index.php
How would rate this 4 year BSc?

Ew, Saskatoon

I have no idea. I'm not in school yet til this fall and that will just be CC

>Where are our jacob barnett triple integral geniuses at for CS in Veeky Forums?

facebook.com

How are facebook engineers compared to say google engineers? what separates them?

Can google employees make a social network app that takes up 200 MB? I don't think so.

kek

Yes... oh wait

I see you've never actually looked into a combinatorics/graph theory/etc journal. It's a pretty even split of computer scientists/mathematicians publishing the papers.