Hey Veeky Forums, so do you guys have any good books on journalism...

Hey Veeky Forums, so do you guys have any good books on journalism? I'm majoring in it when I go to Uni next year and I don't wanna go in completely blind

The Fault in Our Stars

(((journalism)))

why would you apply to a journalism program without knowing anything about journalism?

He's not applying to a journalism job.

I didn't suggest he was.

He's majoring in journalism, but hasn't read anything about journalism. No one would set out to major in physics without knowing something about physics.

Hence why I'm learning more about it

But you are presently intent on majoring on it, without knowing anything about the subject?

If so, that's ridiculous.

Here are, however, some recommendations:
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72
Homage to Catalonia
Manufacturing Consent
Dr. Seuss Goes to War
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Have fun reposting tweets for Buzzfeed

Mostly entertainment, but also a decent look at Japan's justice system and how untouchable criminals are.

First thing to do is look up a journalistic style guide for your country, which should include an overview of libel laws which might apply to you

Maybe he wants to be a journalist and finds some sort of value in the idea of journalism. They don't really teach that shit in highschool besides basic writing skills, so it shouldn't be that remarkable that someone who hasn't hit post-secondary doesn't know a ton about the nuances.

journalism is a fucking sham

this. you're just going to end up a lefty shill with no impact on history. all you'll do your whole life is make facebook more annoying

/thread

They have internet access, don't give me this "waaaah it's not taught in school" bullshit. Presumably OP reads outside of school, so why are they intending to major in Journalism when they have chosen not to do any reading on the subject?

>Presumably OP reads outside of school

Thats a big assumption on this board

Majoring in journalism is a terrible idea in the 21st century. The field is essentially dead.

Just read Bonfire of the Vanities and imagine the British alcoholic hack replaced by hordes of feminist 'muh feelings' bloggers and you pretty much have what journalism is now.

>no rum diary
campaign trail 72's solid but gonzo

I don't think it's fair to say that journalism's dead. Lots of outlets, like the NYT still do lots of journalism--it's just hard to get a job and you don't get paid all that well. Go to a good school if you do.

Scoop - Evelyn Waugh

This. There's still plenty of careers in journalism, people tend to forget that this is a field that encompasses print, newsletters, television, radio etc. It's just that these jobs are competitive and you have to be willing to be a poorfag for about 10 years, which shouldn't matter because I'd assume most people aim for a career like journalism out of passion more than anything.

>wanting to be on Putin's/Trump's hitlist

You must like to live life on the edge.

You can always get a job at RT or Breitbart

Learn to cite sources and form sentences. You got this.

Journalism used to be a noble profession. Journalists and the media were always, in a way, a fourth branch of government that would check the government itself. Now it's just partisan commentary covering up the scandals of corrupt officials in office.
Read your local paper. Read national papers. Read AP style book. Read work from real journalists if you can find it.

good to know. It's nice that some free press still exists despite political correctness.