Why does pouring a liquid with a compressed gas into it cause fizz to form...

why does pouring a liquid with a compressed gas into it cause fizz to form? its like a weird quasi-solid that I can drink??

is this bad for me? will soda fuck me up?

The pressure inside the bottle keeps the gas from escaping into bubbles. That's why soda goes flat if you leave the bottle open. The bubbles aren't always there, they form as they're exposed to air

soda is bad for you only because of the high sugar content. The fizz makes no difference

Its still weird imagining nitrogen diffusing out through your bodily tissues after quaffing a delicious nitrified beverage

And CO2 does have some effects, I forget what they are, maybe acidificaiton...

Foams are crazy mane

soda being bad is a meme. it's only bad because it's addictive, people can't control themselves and drink 2L/day, but it doesn't have much more calories or sugar than orange juice.

About 3% of your body mass is already nitrogen. It's one of the most common things on Earth, and nitrogen is required for your body to function.

Carbonation does change the pH value of liquids moderately. It doesn't really make much of a difference, aside from melting your teeth if you don't brush. Your body is pretty good at regulating pH levels

Soda is more than moderately acidic, it's like 2.7pH. And brushing doesn't remove the acidity, it removes the sugary reside. You just have to wait for your saliva to neutralize the acid. 30 minutes or thereabouts iirc

>its like a weird quasi-solid that I can drink??
It's literally just bubbles you fucking retard. You can even see some of the big ones with a naked eye.

The air on planet earth is 78% nitrogen

It's practically devoid of micronutrients and is very acidic. There's nothing good about except the taste.

Carbonic acid is unstable. A little energy is all it takes to break it up in to water and carbon dioxide. Just sitting in a cup at room temperature it will slowly fizz until flat. When you pour it you're putting more energy in to it and it breaks up faster. If you drop a bottle of soda a lot of it breaks up and the cap can even become a projectile. If you don't open it, then it just recombines under high pressure which is how it was made in the first place.

>And brushing doesn't remove the acidity
Baking soda is in some toothpastes. Just the rinsing action of adding toothpaste and water to you mouth, moving it around, and spitting it out will remove a lot of it.

Using this same idea you can rinse with water. If you have a mL of liquid in your mouth and rinse with 49mL of water then spit out 49mL you've removed 98% of the coke in your mouth.

Sugar is the real problem with coke. Brushing your teeth doesn't remove the sugar from your blood stream. It's alright if you don't over do it though.

Why is it a solid though?

Don't play dumb its like a STRucture dude

Do not brush immediately after drinking any sort of acidic drink (this includes orange juice)! The acid will soften your enamel, and you can actually do more harm by brushing immediately after.

Op ill give you non-debate-devolving answer. The mechanism is this: Soda is supersaturated with carbon dioxide so its gonna look for any opportunity to "fall" out of solution. When it,comes in contact to rough surfaces, such as the imperfections at the bottom of glass or,pores in ice cubes, we have nucleation of a few gas molecules and this results in other bubbles forming and the fizzinss you see

It _is_ a structure, nubile one. The gasses that escape to the top are netted by a film of the sugar water. However, hundreds of thousands of similar bubble films start bubbling up from below, pushing those on the surface up. But since they're all made of soda water, they all remain connected to each other and to the surface of the drink. The individual bubbles can move around, though not without moving the bubbles around them, and it's much harder to pop any of the bubbles than to do this. Though the ones at the very top are popping as the sodawater is succumbing to gravity.

What's more weird is why doesn't the soda immediately release all it's gas bubbles as soon as you open the top?

You have to consider that the dissolved gas is at a concentration greater than it's equilibrium concentration by an order of at least 1000 and yet if you don't agitate the soda it will only slowly release its carbonation.

A layer of bubbles form, then another one below them, then another, then another, and they all get pushed one on top of the other withing a few seconds. It's not a fucking structure you blithering idiot, it's just FUCKING BUBBLES.

Same thing with most fruit juices desu

The concentration changes over time just like heat diffusing
Do you even physics

guess what drinking shitloads of orange juice is also bad for you

This is absolutely not why at all

Yes it is absolutely why
If you have a solution which is oversaturated with gas, the gas diffuses out until it's no longer over saturated
the rate at which it does so is log(t)
that's exactly how heat works
now fuck off

it would get you about as fat.

Actually, I'd rather drink 2 liters of soda every day than drink 2 liters of orange juice, because orange juice will fuck your teeth up worse than soda.

Soda and juice is for plebs anyway *sips cola*.

who /bottled water only/ here

Pop doesn't go directly into your bloodstream. Your digestive system takes care of making sure the fluids that enter your blood have the proper amount of gas diffused.

>bodily tissues
...you mean "body tissues", General Ripper.

>will soda fuck me up?
Yes, but not for the reasons you described

google colloids

>why does pouring a liquid with a compressed gas into it cause fizz to form?

You are reducing the pressure, pouring reduces the pressure further than simply opening the bottle as you induce waves in the material. When you pour it into a container any imperfections also act as nucleation points.

As a demonstration to some high school students, we used brand new round bottomed flasks that had been cleaned by our NMR team, so no particles and transferred using a very gentle lip-to-lip tip. Very little fizz. Tap the container to make a ripple, fizz. Add an anti-bumping granule, fizz. And it appears to be a runway reaction, once the bubbles start they lower the local pressure and more CO2 comes out of solution.

>its like a weird quasi-solid that I can drink??
Yes it's a foam, a foam is gas suspended in liquid as opposed to a gel which is solid suspended in liquid.

>is this bad for me? will soda fuck me up?
No, your body belches out most of the CO2. And carbonate ions are easily dealt with, they're produced by metabolism.
Citric acid is also easily dealt with.
Phosphoric acid can cause calcium depletion when consumed to excess.
The vast quantities of sugar however.... That will fuck you up.

A mixture of gas and liquid is a weird quasi-solid in what way?

>not just drinking water

>Heroin being bad is a meme. It's only bad because it's addictive, people can't control themselves

neat thanks for a really good answer in my shitpost thread, I earnestly appreciate it!

Shitposting is in the eye of the beholder.

Rather moreish isn't it.