Two objects attract each other and you can't explain why

>two objects attract each other and you can't explain why
>invent a magical force called "gravity" that pulls them together for no reason

why is physics such a joke?

>clearly and specifically describe how this force functions

>make extremely accurate predictions based on your supposition of this force

>make a lot of discoveries about how this mysterious force interacts with other forces

>use your understanding of this made up magic force to launch spacecraft into orbit and do other complex and useful tasks

>tfw solutions exist
Why can't magic just exist?

Well, did we really expect more of the "dark energy and dark matter" gang.?

if magic existed it would just be studied and dissected and become another field of physics. You would go to university for a 3 year degree on applied thaumaturgy to learn the optimal shape to make your pentagram and the right amounts of hydrocarbons and fatty acids (they long since found the active ingredients in Eye of Newt and the hearts of orphans) for creating a standard fireball for use in powering General Electric industrial fireball-powered electric generators

Well, yeah. Shit.

fuck off brainlet

>observe a phenomenon you can't explain
>give it a name

welcome to science, kid

Religion and magical thinking, on the other hand, are not jokes.

Magic does exist. Physics describes it.

No one invented anything. We named that attraction gravity.

>no one invented gravity

>Gravity was invented

Tell me more, Professor

go back to /b/.

Dark matter is a mathematical canard

>negative numbers can't have a square root because no number times itself can be a negative number
>invent a magical number called "i" that's the can be the square root of a negative number for no reason

why is math such a joke?

Electricity/computers are as close to magic as it gets

>you are conscious and don't know why
>invent some reason for your own existence

why is life such a joke?

>2017
>not realizing that gravity is an entropic force

>IQ estimated from GRE scores
Toplel.

>IQ estimated at all
Please kill me now.

It's a mathematical duck?

>Why can't magic just exist?
It does

>positive numbers (A) don't have a number B such that A*B=B
>invent some useless magical number called "0" that always ends up as an exception to most theorems

Yeah someone "invented" gravity. Kys brainlet.

It was me. I'm still mad that I'm not getting royalties

well someone did invent the theory and this theory is supported by evidence

There is literally no evidence for gravity.

How do stars form from gasses, bitch?

cavendish experiment

>you can't have less than one of something
>invent magical numbers called 'zero' and 'negatives' that can be nothing and less than nothing for no reason

why is math such a joke?

I just fell off my chair laughing at you, faggot, gravity definitely exists

>I have 5 apples
>I throw my 5 apples into an incinerator
>I now have 0 apples

???

you dont have a number of apples, you just have no apples

i bet u think u can have negative 5 apples too lmao

why would you need to invent gravity if there was already a force that attracted objects

well science is like magic expect actually logical and explained. say if you go back in time to the medieval era with a gun, the locals will think you're a wizard (and probably burn you in the cross)

We literally stopped needng to advance math once we figured out compounding interest. What is the point

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of game. While we're asleep and dreaming, we're convinced that what we're experiencing is real. Who is to say life is not the same way, and when we die we "wake up".

Modeling is ad-hoc, it doesn't actually explain what the phenomenon is. Physists are so far up their assets that they think simply giving an equation that the public doesn't understand is enough. Saying something will fall at x velocity doesn't tell you why.

You all sit on pop sci but they're the ones discussing real science

>I don't know what a hypothesis is

is right, you know

Imagine explaining electromagnetism to someone in ancient greece.

>there is a tree here
>there is a different tree over there
>invent magical number 2 and say there are 2 trees even though the tree here is obviously a different tree than that tree over there

They had more knowledge to it than you'd think. Then knew how to charge and discharge object with static electricity, as well as how electricity goes to the ground.

>there is a tree here
>invent magical number 1 to represent "a"

What if I tell you that we've found enchanted stones deep within earth that have used to achieve superhuman speeds?

Magic will never exist because any extraordinary experience or phenomenon will be studied and normalized to death. How is magnetism and quantum mechanics not magical?

Yes. But now you come in with a speaker. It moves the membrane without touching it. How the hell does that work? There would be no distinction between magnets and magic in your mind if you didn't grow up in a world where magnets are studied and understood. Imagine the first time seeing scraps of metal fall up toward an electromagnet, with no previous frame of reference.

That is user's point - "magic" isn't a thing. What we can observe is already science. If there were spells and shit, we would just reduce them to more physics.

>There are people ITT that take "gravity doesn't exist :((((" posts seriously with serious responses

The ease of baiting someone is incredible. The fact that anyone would even waste their time with gravity deniers is laughable.

The phenomena is nothing more than its effect. All that exists is changing state.

No, magic in fantasy basically means meaning being a part of the universe, that conscious minds can tap into. Wizards don't only use artifacts the way we use tech devices, they can say spells which alter the world.

Yeah gravity is a black box

where does the tree end and its environment begin
the magical number 1 is smeared out over the fabric of existence and is not indeed coherent

In case you haven't noticed, very little about our universe is "normal". Think of black holes and entanglement and all the other weird shit. All of it is tantamount to magic.

shut up