Now that the dust has settled, what is Veeky Forumss consensus on "choose your own adventure" books?

Now that the dust has settled, what is Veeky Forumss consensus on "choose your own adventure" books?

Hopscotch is p gud

They are in some sense poor literature. And yet in another sense they're good children's literature because they engage the reader, are a novel literary form, and in many cases use the second-person, a rare voice. This also engages the reader's imagination.

I devoured like 50 of the things as a kid, and I think I'm better for it despite the first above clause.

The idea of reading one was always more fun than actually reading it.

Underutilized format. Great things could be achieved through it yet it has been relegated to mostly children's books.

Choose your own adventure but in verse when?

Not that there's been a lot of good second-person poems or anything

When I read those books as a kid I would grab 5 or so bookmarks and place one of them at every fork in the road to make sure I read every possible path.

Some user is writing a CYOA erotic story about mind control and it's fucking hot. It's a good proof of concept for CYOA transcending kiddie literature. There were a few Interactive Fiction games that were Veeky Forums as fuck. I think they're the most entertaining thing to be produced using CYOA devices. Give "Slouching Towards Bedlam" a play sometime for a prime example.

Vidya is superior to it in most every way.

>Some user is writing a CYOA erotic story about mind control and it's fucking hot.
Link? Details?

>Pick the left door
>Or thou shalt regret
>Forevermore

>Pick the right door
>And your bum will be
>Very very sore

Good desu. I remember using all my fingers as bookmarks and checking out every ending

F I G H T I N G
A
N
T
A
S
Y

All others have failed.

My Nizzle.

Always save the Hobgoblin, he's your buddy, and villagers are a bunch of fucking normies anyway.

You need the crystal shield to get the best ending.

The ones I've read were really shitty.

Either the choice was so inconsequential that you'd end up reading the same pages in any case (obviously, the author doesn't want to flesh out two completely different narratives, so the book would have a recursive effect that makes the decision almost useless), or the decision was of such consequence that the book would end abruptly (choosing to go right instead of left meant there was a monster behind the rock that ate you in a paragraph).

In theory, they could have been good if they were well-made and plotted intelligently. I never read one that could be described as such, though.

Fucking goosebumps on fucking Veeky Forums... FUCKING GOOSEBUMPS ON MOTHERFUCKING Veeky Forums?!
...this board is officially dead now. Jumped over the shark. Three times over.
I'm leaving. This shit is beyond saving. So long, Veeky Forums

see ya tomorrow user

Sperglord down. Repeat, sperglord down. Send backup and tendies stat.

Open-world videogames and TTRPGs are much more suited for this type of idea than books are.

Fun. I read that exact book as a kid.

Why doesn't Veeky Forums wrote a booku kike thus won>

It was easily the worst goosebumps I read. The execution was lame as hell.

They are for children and should not be discussed on a literature forum, that's what I think

You're a big stupid poopy pants and thats what I think.

They are like shitty visial novels that you can't masturbate to

Nonsense, you can masturbate to anything if you put your mind to it.