What's Veeky Forumss opinion on ereaders...

What's Veeky Forumss opinion on ereaders?I'm thinking about getting one but im not sure I want to give up the "feel" of books

Either read on your phone or read real books, ereaders are waste of money.

I should add this is only my opinion, if you think you will read more by buying ereader then go for it mate. It's personal. Added bonus is probably that you can download ebooks for free on bookzz.org

but phones are too glossy and hurt my eyes after long reading

Yeah no you're right, I would go for it man. Most of them have a percentage on bottom to tell you how far you are in the book. Also with physical books you have to keep them open with both of your hands which is physically exerting, with ereaders that problem is gone too.

enjoy your crappy typography

Not OP but I think you can change the font and margins on ereaders, so I don't see the point of your post here, is it just to incite feelings of hurt to OP, then refrain from posting it please

I usually can't bring myself to read from screens. I feel like it tires out my eyes

That's one of the points of e-readers, there is no light shining in your eyes to tire you out. It's e-ink screen which almost looks like real paper

Have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it. 4 problems though:
>organizing books in the device is not really a feature
>can't easily hold it in one hand eithout resting the bottom on something, small hands
>not great for PDF even after converting, or I might just suck at that
>it's not a kobo

If you like reading in the dark e-readers have way better backlight control, at least e-ink does. You can get comfy under the covers where it's effectively pitch black and still be comfortable, I never noticed just how bright phones are even at minimum settings and with using screen filters until I held it up next to a Kindle.

I don't know why but when I read on my Kindle, I forget everything I read almost immediately, I don't have that issue when I read physical books. If you do get one though, make sure you get the Paperwhite. I have the normal Kindle and it's hard to read in the evening because the screen isn't lit.

>If you like reading in the dark e-readers have way better backlight control, at least e-ink does. You can get comfy under the covers where it's effectively pitch black and still be comfortable, I never noticed just how bright phones are even at minimum settings and with using screen filters until I held it up next to a Kindle.

Fair point

I had a tiny bit of experience with the first kindle. I didn't really like it, it didn't have the charm that a book does. I also hate reading on my phone, it just looks and feels wrong. My brother just got the new Amazon Fire tablet and he's been reading on that. That looks way better. I might borrow it from him and see what I think. I don't think I'd start reading ebooks over real books though.

Main features of eReaders compared to phones (and to a lesser degree, tablets):
++ In all situations, readability is comparable to physical books, whereas phones are more comparable to screens.
++ (Some) eReaders have the ability to adjust brightness, which offer even more visibility than phones.
++ eReaders can go very long times (multiple weeks) without being recharged, whereas with even minimal use, you'd need to charge a smartphone every 2-3 days.
-- However, eReaders are usually limited in both power and scope. These are meant for reading, so things like color, extra apps (including things you'd like for reading), and decent performance are simply not guarantees.
-- Furthermore, many tablets are of the same cost if not cheaper than eReaders, which might offer more bang-for-your-buck
-- In all cases, your average smartphone will be infinitely more mobile than your average eReader. Why? Because if you're a person in [the current year], you probably carry your phone with you without even thinking about it when you go outside -- thus, a reading device is always by your side.

Main features compared to physical books:
++ By almost any standard, an eReader will be more maneuverable than your average thick book -- certainly, it'll be more maneuverable and mobile than your entire library.
++ Don't like the typesetting in your physical book? Your average eReader will probably be able to do something about that -- all Kobo eReaders, as far as I can tell, are especially good at that.
++ Pirating/buying books is easy and fast. It takes no more than an hour to get exactly the book you want on the device you want -- the same can't really be said for physical books, unless you live next to a bookstore and only read bestsellers.
++ Small thing, but you don't have to worry about anyone seeing that you're reading Chuck Tingle when you're on an eReader, compared to a physical book with its cover.
-- However, typesetting on a physical book will always have the precision and care to make sure that certain things fit perfectly on the page. An EPUB/MOBI/etc. file is not necessarily going to be a perfect fit for your particular eReader. Thus, small typesetting quirks (as simple as poetry, for example) might come out as ugly.
-- Being able to physically see and feel how far you are into a work is known to improve retention.
-- Owning a book you've physically bought is truly owning it -- it's yours. Similarly, sharing a book in person is a no-brainer with a physical book, but either complicated or impossible between eReaders (or any electronic devices).

Got a Paperwhite on Veeky Forumss recommendation recently.

Very happy with it. Easy to get stuff onto with Calibre and now I can read /memedoorstopper/ in the bath etc.

As an official old git, I should also add they are very useful for older people as when start getting a bit long-sighted its easier to get a comfy reading distance with an ereader.

What is this

For some reason i think these are product promotions.
Quick question here: do you need to buy kindle books? you can't read free downloaded books from bookzz.org ?

Enjoy your cumbersome physical book collection. I've got more books in one external hard drive than you can fit in every wall on your house. Plus I can pirate them for free.

You can pirate extremely easily.

This basically sums it all up. I have the same e-reader, it's pretty great. Dropped it in a river and after fishing it out downstream it worked 3 hours later. Plus, reading on it before you go to sleep doesn't keep you awake like a phone does.

To buy, or not to buy, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
The Heart-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to Dream; aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes Calamity of so long life:
For who would bear the Whips and Scorns of time,
The Oppressor's wrong, the proud man's Contumely,
The pangs of despised Love, the Law’s delay,
The insolence of Office, and the Spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his Quietus make
With a bare Bodkin? Who would Fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered Country, from whose bourn
No Traveller returns, Puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have,
Than fly to others that we know not of.
Thus Conscience does make Cowards of us all,
And thus the Native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment,
With this regard their Currents turn awry,
And lose the name of Action. Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia? Nymph, in thy Orisons
Be all my sins remembered.

Don't mean to steal OPs thunder but I'm a complete poorfag with around $100 and a bit left to my name, moving back in with mom and dad this spring to go to community Uni and study accounting.

Can I put pdf books or transfer them to an appropriate file type to put on the kindle paperwhite?

does it do a forced update meme thing that can wipe my books?

I've been reading things for school on my computer and it hurts. I want to pick up reading as a hobby but I just cant enjoy any of the books ive downloaded which sucks, and I cant afford them in physical form.

paperwhite, is it my best bet?

Amazon had their kindles fairly cheap last Black Friday. So look then

It won't wipe your books, if it did that there would be a fucking outrage; plus there isn't much reason for a software update on these anyway

I always thought that the "feel" of books would deter me from e-readers, but after finally getting hold of one I found myself to be far more efficient in reading as a result. Sure you don't get the luxury of opening to a random page like you would through a physical book or making notes/highlights on the pages, but there's just something about an e-reader that makes me feel more focused.

I've read on both my phone and a kindle and I'll attest that the kindle is much nicer if I'm reading for longer than like 20 minutes. The eye strain with a phone screen gets to be a bit much, and it's also a bitch in some lighting conditions (either too light or too dark) whereas my kindle can be read pretty much anywhere.

I still prefer real books but the utility of e-readers still makes me favor them. I like being able to highlight without permanently marking a book, and being able to search books / easily navigate my highlights. Whenever I'm reading for the goal of learning something I get the e-book.

Paperwhite is pretty good, though I've got mixed results with PDFs on it. Some of them seem to fuck up and skip words, I'm not sure why.

I just bought a Nook glowlight + for $80

They are overpriced but honestly I am still pretty happy with it.

They probably will turn into your primary reading medium, however you may encounter some moments where you can't find a epub of a more obscure or foreign book anywhere, in which you will probably have to search ebay or something for a physical.

I only have 2gb memory limit on this thing and I already have like 700 epubs and I have only reached like 350 mb.

There is something very comfy about them in a modern way. The ghosting E-Ink screen and ultra simple UI reminds me of some sort of sci-fi tech from a 80's movie.

nah, don't fucking buy a kindle for PDFs. Just don't do it. I've tried to make it work myself. It doesn't work. Don't even consider it. It's not what it was made for. Otherwise, it's great.

>Nook glowlight
>not the glorious Kindle Paperwhite

Kindle doesn't natively support epub. format, and I really hate the fucking calibre UI and I really don't want to convert every book I find on the internet into kindles format.

With the nook I can just go on bookzz and torrents and drag and drop files into it without any program.

Plus, it was cheaper and it's waterproof apparently.

it's a simple fucking UI. Connect your Kindle, send the book and it automatically converts it to mobi.

>what is a library
>what is secondhand books and trading books

i can't read ebooks on a computer. it feels so unnatural to scroll down or click next page.

I enjoy buying books. Walking around. Holding the fucker. Feels epic. Pirate the fuck out of other media though.

Most people use Calibre for organizing their ebook library. It's beautiful. I love it.

Yeah using the covers is stupid. Calibre has click and send and auto convert, losslessly to AZW3 btw.

I have a kindle though I can't remember which model (e-ink, no back light, keyboard at bottom) and I really like it. I prefer to do most of my reading on it while the hard copies I have of books are usually rare/old.

Yeah. My kindle definitely made me read more because of the convenience and such.

I like to keep my shit organized. The right metadata and cover for all my books.

i like them. physical books can be hard to come by depending on what you're looking for, and i feel my reading comprehension turns shit when reading off a normal screen. ebooks are nice cause they're the best of both worlds, ease of access and little eye strain

>This thread again...

Why is this such an issue? It is like 100$ give or take, you're not buying a fucking car. It can store tons of books, battery lasts forever, doesn't strain eyes... You can pirate all the books you want and not have to pay for them ever again. What's the problem? Just buy the damn thing if you like reading books.

What extra apps are you referring to? I was originally hesitant to buy a reader since I'm not a fan of single use gadgets. Eventually I figured I didn't want any extra distractions, when I use the reader, I just want to read. They have built in dictionaries, though sometimes it is nice to also have access to the internet to look up information on a particular topic.

ereaders are the social equivalent of vaping

kobo pretty based use it all the time

ereaders are shit for pdf. i prefer my comfy linux laptop for pdfs.

Calibre master race reporting in

Covers look cute. If you're looking for something, you have the search bar. Shit's great.

>comfy linux laptop
>linux

You're so cool.

>those genre fiction covers

"Extra apps" is kind of a blanket term for "the sky's the limit" -- only real limiting factor is the phone OS. Those extra apps include other reading apps with more file support.

Another limiting factor is, again, the power. You can look up definitions and whatnot on an eReader, but an eReader is a literally as powerful as toaster in terms of processing speed. The time it takes to look something up might take you out of your reading compared to the speed a tablet/phone could do the same thing.

What's your point, exactly?

Are you trying to argue now that as an alternative to having an unwieldy collection of physical books it's superior to just possess one or two books at a time, and then trade them in? As in, that's better than being able to access your entire library at any time on one device? Are you saying secondhand books and trading books, or even getting books from the library, is superior to literally downloading them for free and having them for as long as you want?

How fucking stubborn do you have to be to engage in this sort of reasoning and still convince yourself it's superior.

Elaborate? You got something to say about a book's cover?