What's the best foreign language to learn purely for reading purposes?

What's the best foreign language to learn purely for reading purposes?

Italian.

Spanish. The literary scene in Latin and South America is one of the few literary scenes that still has a pulse.

Russian

For poetry, portuguese, since you get Pessoa and Camões.
For prose, russian or german.

French or Russian.

Is already dead

Russian

English

>prose or poetry
>implying
You are such a pleb

No.

>. The literary scene in Latin and South America is one of the few literary scenes that still has a pulse.

What, how? Do they even have universities there?

>implying

>implying homer went to college

Homer didn't even exist my dude, or at the very least many books that are attributed to him couldn't have been written by him unless he was several centuries old.

Start with Latin. Then learn Greek. Go from there as you please.

So?

People lived longer back then, just read the Bible

I'm not going to bother spelling this shit out for you. If you don't understand you should go somewhere else.

You go

Hows that lack of education working out for you hombre

Not him, but I think you're the one missing the point. I'll translate what his "so?" probably means, because your rebuttal doesn't really address the actual statement so much as nitpicks the identity of the writer.

>implying the poets who compose what we say is Homer would have gone to college

no u
It's a completely useless statement though, because it cannot be proven. It doesn't add or detract anything to his statement. It just makes him look like an idiot for making baseless statements about an author who didn't even exist.

They presumably got some sort of education though, even if it was just listening to priests and other poets

Those fuckers were expected to memorize thousands of lines of verse, thats more education than the average bachelor student goes through

English

Depends entirely on your reading interests

Fine I guess
How is education going for you?

Ancient Greek or Japanese

He would have been well-trained in the bardic tradition, mastering memorization, meter, dialects, genealogy, history &c.
Just because he was illiterate doesn't mean he was uneducated or unqualified.

French for Literature
German for Philosophy

Deutsch

only good answer

its rough

Spanish for Don Quijote, That's it.

So I suppose it all comes down to what you'd qualify as an equivalent of formal education, and whether people without access to colleges today would still have access to the sorts of education available to writers like 3000 years ago.

Don Quixote isn't even that good to be honest. The part where he stays with the duke and duchess is so terribly drawn out.

>What's the best foreign language to learn purely for reading purposes?
Latin. Since you can't really use it for anything else, anyways.

Jelly Anglo is Jelly.

I'm not English. It's not even my first language, friend. Want to make any more uneducated statements?

Pyccкый язык

There's better lit in Greek though.

Latin america holds place for the UBA, the best university in latin america

Are you an Argie?

>Latin America has the best university in Latin America
who would've thought.

French

Kek.

Latin, Polish, Ruskie

Hang on there buddy, at least you will get rich
>what is Borges, Neruda, Garcia Márquez, Cortazar, Sabato, Bolaño, Jose Donoso, and more obscure underrated authors like Couve
Some of the best contemporary stuff is in Spanish imo

Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile is better tho

French, German and Russian

from an academic standpoint, this. from a meme standpoint, french,s panish, or italian.

The best contemporary literature is still crap compared to earlier literature and those on this list are not even anywhere in the top 1000 of contempoary literature.

Please, enlight me

english because got the bookz

German and French. You may trade French for Latin if you're a misogynist.

Depends man, look up some the literature in different languages and see which one has a body that seems interesting to you.

I chose German. Spanish came close because it has many great writers in different countries but I just don't really like the sound or flow of that language, it's ugly imo.

Raja, turrito, rajá.

French, because there's a lot of French lit and because its easy to learn.