ITT: Creativity

What is your creative process?
What do you do when you feel less creative/how do you improve your creativity?
Where do you find inspiration?

I am trying to improve my creativity so I want to hear the perspectives of as many people as possible. You don't have to answer the specific questions above. I just want to coax a discussion about this general topic.

>What is your creative process?
Too vague. I have no routine; literally everything I do is my creative process. To be more helpful, though, I talk to strangers online and gain their trust over time before I pull apart their psyche and see what makes them tick. I re-frame the interesting traits and some flavor, and I build a character from them.
>What do you do when you feel less creative/how do you improve your creativity?
Fish oil. 5 grams a day of the shit. I find creativity is tethered to memory. It makes sense, in that creativity is just your ability to recall and synthesize ideas.
>Where do you find inspiration?
literally my diary desu.

I'll start.

Things that noticeably improve my creativity:
>Reading poetry
>Exercising
>Doing math problems
>Listening to different types of music and giving it a lot of focus.. doesn't work if I passively do it.

As for inspiration, lately I've been finding it everywhere. It's never really been like that for me. I graduated recently and started working a 9-5 white collar job. Working to make someone else rich is shitty and every time I think about it I get seriously inspired to get something going for myself like a business or whatever. I'm also much more interested in making music now than I ever was. I was in a band in college and we relied a lot on improv/jamming over a loose structure so songwriting was never a huge focus for us.Honestly as I'm typing this out I'm starting to realize school was always the thing putting out my spark. Now that I graduated, I really seem to be going through a personal renaissance.

I'm taking measures to capitalize more on my increased motivation/inspiration lately. I've started carrying a small notebook with me to jot down ideas when I get them. I also try to act as quickly as possible whenever I feel inspired.

Curious to hear what Veeky Forums has to say. I never browse this board.

It's a walk across a field. Landmarks that bring ideas are all around. Sadly, most of the time I have to stop to do things as I go and have ended up missing most of the sights that would have inspired. I want to kill capitalism. It robs us of some much of our precious time.

Garlic dreams.

Really.

Make a meal with lots of fresh garlic. Your dreams will be vivid and strange! Have a journal and pen handy to jot down the scenes or sensations you may remember come morning.

Not to be all >muh mental illness but I usually feel most creative when I'm anxious and suicidal. I've been lately having emotional highs where I feel like shit but also feel extremely energetic and emotional and I stop thinking clear and linear. Sometimes I get this feeling like I'm not in my body or nothing around me is weird or that I'm being watched etc. It feels shitty but it's also when I have the most ideas so idk

I just scribble shit down and organize it later when I'm actually stable

That's actually pretty relateable. My most brilliant moments have been at my anxiety's peaks. I've considered evoking it to stoke my creativity... but I'm too afraid.

I remember my first panic attack. I didn't know what to do. All I could manage was to grab my pen and start writing. I remember vividly seeing my pen tremble as my chest got tighter. My entire existence felt like a sustained explosion for those 15 minutes. It really was something amazing.

>panic attack

I feel this too. When I'm in a bad place I write down how I feel and then I reread it when I'm in a good mood, and it usually turns out to be some pretty good black comedy stuff

You know, I just fuck my life up on purpose and then write that for a novel. Last time I went to college, got a well paying job, got married, and began raising two beautiful childeren. Then I got myself addicted to heroin so I could write about a tragic downward spiral.
This time, I'm considering murdering someone and writing a prison story from it. Think they'll let me publish from the slammer?

Louis CK has mentioned before that when he wants to write something he'll purposefully put himself in a bad place. A state of anxiety and depression is a state of heightened consideration, so maybe it's not so surprising that creation can ensue.

Hmm, maybe I should be unhappy more often then

>>>/Veeky Forums/

This is why Reddit has produced hundreds of published authors while Veeky Forums is stuck calling each other faggots and insulting philosophial works written after the 1800's. Garlic. Lmao.

shrooms or weed.

Came here to post this. Usually I write high and then do a sober edit after to see if it's anything of worth

>I am trying to improve my creativity
What's wrong with it?

I don't feel great when I compare myself to other artists and authors :(

I want to be great

bump

Its a tool that works for me. Interesting dreams sometimes make interesting chunks of story...like this one I had recently:

>It was a desperate last stand. The bunkhouse was surrounded,and the 50 odd men waited for the return of their Champion to lead them to victory,but some were doubtful of his return. He was away fighting duels,seeking vengeance for past wrongs. "He's Sicilian, and he'll fight every one",a gruff voice said. So we had to make our own luck. I noticed an object being passed around,violently struck against furniture and floor,then passed on. It finally came to me. It was a chunk of the building, bits of decorative stones held together by mortar,a collection of the many diverse materials found in this sad world, cemented together to make some part of it...beautiful. So I extracted a lump of red glass,round like a plover's egg,and handed it on. This was our Luck,our sense of belonging, our bitter joke.

Think up ideas, write them down. If I get blocked, then just wing it.

>What do you do when you feel less creative

Do things that inspire creativity, even if it's just thinking up funny things to call your whore mom on here. Or talk to people who are creative about the ideas you're exploring. Or drop the idea entirely until a stroke of genius hits you. Or just wing it an see what happens. All have succeeded.

>how do you improve your creativity?

Keep doing creative things. Good ideas breed tons of other good ideas. Bad ideas die pretty naturally.

The hope that one day, I'll be rich and famous, and be able to bang tons of young whores, like three at a time.

I agree with this.

Dreams, if you try to transcribe them are always shit. But they can bring up interesting ideas to use.

I got an idea for a short story just from this image I had in a dream of two people sitting on a bus, and glancing at each other, and they both had the same medical condition. The rest of the dream was nonsensical bullshit, but that one image struck me.

bump

bump what the fuck Veeky Forums talk about your creative processes please

I mainly contribute to well thought-out threads concerning literature. No shitposting.

Very few people on Veeky Forums actually have a creative process. Those that have, have spoken.

>creative process
I let ideas grow in my head. If there's a sentence I wrote, I wing whole plotlines off that sentence. My whole story comes together based on the text that I write from the start. "This happened, I said this, or a character did this, so this can happen next."

Gives me a huge sense of satisfaction and I see tons of influences from everything I've seen or read in my life in my work when I'm done. My style so far is short and omits all needless information, so you're always left wondering 'what happened when I wasn't watching?' It's a result of watching too much anime and getting fed up with how long they take to explain all the characters and get to their development.

Like for a recent story I added entire elements to the world off of the title I gave it alone. I added two of my favorite characters and character arcs because of what one character did. At the least when I'm done I get to feel like 'well that's fucking cool' even though I know I have a long way to go. I have seven books to read so I can improve my novel I finished but every time I look at my novel I'm like 'no it is perfect' completely unable to see the holes in the damn thing.

interesting. this inspired me to experiment using that style. thanks

I write stuff down in my notebook and add stuff to it until it feels ready then I type it up. Shit out a first draft, get people's feedback on it, ignore it for a month or two then rewrite it using what they've suggested and what new ideas I have. Repeat this a few times, end up with something good enough to send out for publishing. Probably have to send the same thing out a few times to find somewhere that's interested. That last step is more luck and not so much to do with quality, I've had shitty magazines reject a piece of work that better magazines were excited to have.

What do you write?

If I ever need a basic layout for some geography, I go into my backyard with a bucket of water and pour it on the ground, then take a good look.

how often is that

Drugs. Pacing around my apartment. Watching TV. Reading. Taking long walks. Generally going about daily life.

>What do you do when you feel less creative?
I pretty much have the same routine no matter what. The creativity comes in waves though so if I'm feeling uninspired I try to wait it out.

The internet, literature, popular media, my own life, and human interactions.

This is the answer.

You could start by taking a shit and then eating the shit. ITs supposed to make you more creative. That's what some dude said that is creative.

that looks so good. I haven't dipped in so long.

I started the summer after I finished high school. It turned me into the pinnacle of masculine productivity.

great album, holy shit

Very similar to me. I explore lots of drugs, mostly psychedelics, some dissociatives, cocaine maybe. I write high all the time

I also talk to myself all the time. I have full blown conversations with myself out loud, linguistically sketching my thoughts.

Meditation also helps a lot for clearing my thoughts internally.

I usually write my thoughts with a pen too, i almost never type. I dont like to draw but sometimes ill sketch my thoughts (a picture, diagram) on paper

I intentionally do not have set routines, the only thing i do every day is wake up and meditate for 15 minutes and even then i sometimes dont do that. Everything in my life is a free for all, a do-what-you-want-when-you-want

sounds like you dont have a job

yeah.. definitely in my top 25

Have you noticed a difference from taking five grams? I only take 1.2 grams a day and have noticed some decent results, but I'm curious if I should be taking more through the day.

Also OP, my big trick is thinking about a story or idea my lazy ass would love to consume yet doesn't yet exist. Then I work to make what I feel naturally drawn from

I also do the pick apart thing the guy I just replied to though.

Try it one day, personally I notice the effects of 5g within the first day, and can see a large difference. I understand large amounts of it thin your blood or something, but I have a heart condition and am still alive desu.

read and play videogames.

I'm most creative while just walking in the street or during the bath

I think the reason why is that I'm doing something else so that shift of focus triggers something

You need not start a project at the begining and end at the end,you know.

Write scenes of characters doing interesting things,and write them doing ordinary things. Describe their thhoughts with dialogue,anddescribe their thinking by just refering to their actions. They need not be related at this point,but in time you may find a theme developing on its own,and possibly a plot. Then collect the best of these and try to string them together into a narative. Fill in the gaps and plug the plot holes,and streamline it all into a true first draft.